Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Removing oil filler tube
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Removing oil filler tube Reply with quote

You may hear it mentioned but the preferred method for removing this odd bolt is the internal pipe wrench, and just look its made in America oh goody. The official VW tool is a joke with two small ears that probably worked when cars were new but now all these years later and because of dissimilar metal corrosion, aluminum stand and steel bolt these things are on tight. I pictured one that has ears just about stripped off. You can buy these things at a plumbing supply house or maybe big box store, I forgot where this one came from. Look at all the sludge and crap inside the filler tube. I took this apart to clean and detail, I'll plastic blast the stand and repaint the tube.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing oil filler tube Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Not trying to be funny here, but these are often called nipple extractors. And available individually or in sets from places like Home Depot
https://www.google.com/search?q=nipple+extractor+h...FXoZysM%3A

http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-Internal-Pipe-Wrench-Set-HDX150/204218626
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2005 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing oil filler tube Reply with quote

I'm on board for nipples. Very Happy
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing oil filler tube Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
I'm on board for nipples. Very Happy

X2

Actually I have always had good luck using an old lawn edger blade ground down to fit the slot.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing oil filler tube Reply with quote

I've never even owned the "proper" tool. I've had my internal pipe wrench for well over 20 years now. I've noticed that some VW vendors sell them.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing oil filler tube Reply with quote

Yes the proper tool. Well 30 plus years ago its all we had and information was kept close to the vest. It's been about that long that an old VW guy showed me this, getting info was like pulling teeth. It's all free now . Very Happy you see me holding the proper tool? It's a paper weight now I only use the pipe wrench.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing oil filler tube Reply with quote

I remember one time I had a really gunked up oil filler to remove, and I think I had to put a socket and breaker bar on the end of the pipe wrench. And when I levered on it, I broke it loose and removed the oil filler, but only after the generator stand cracked!
busdaddy
Samba Member

Location: Surrey B.C. Canada, Land of the giant flying moose!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing oil filler tube Reply with quote

I ditched the "proper tool" years ago after encountering one that was so stuck I broke the upper ring off and the threaded section remained in place (took an impact wrench to do that), once I got back from Home depot with the "new proper tool" the remnants were out in the blink of an eye. I'm not sure where I put the original tool now, the ID pipe wrench works so much better it's not even worth trying with the slotted one.

Wanted, OG paint 1971 Niagara blue decklid.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing oil filler tube Reply with quote

Great tips in this thread! I had one stuck on so badly that I gave up on it, removed the stand and installed a better, used one. I thought about heating up that nut but the ways suggested here are brilliant!

**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**

**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**

1970 Westfalia Bus
1969 Convertible Bug
1967 Standard Bug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: