Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Carbon Fiber Dash??
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buzzfagan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Carbon Fiber Dash?? Reply with quote

Anyone thought of, done or seen and entire dash (driver and passenger side all combined) "wrapped" or "skinned" in carbon fiber? Thinking about doing it to my dash for my restoration. Any ideas tips or example would be appreciated.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Carbon Fiber Dash?? Reply with quote

I built a Tube chassis for my buggy, and I like a enclosed tunnel area because otherwise it would collect all kinds of dirt/debris and always look nasty. So I hand formed aluminum over home made wooden bucks. Then tapped and screw them onto the tube chassis.

I covered the panels and dash panel with the cheap Carbon Fiber Tack Paper. It is really vinyl material.

About 30,000 miles later, I pulled the seats out to clean everything and install seat heaters. The material has held up well for a $ 24.00 roll.

When I installed this material, it does not give much around compound corners very well. But I did not use a heat gun to offer some compliance to the material. It has stayed put very well and in coming on 3 years and 43,000 miles, I have not had any come loose. The material I used, (again, cheap, off of ebay) is textured. So when I have gotten mud or dust on it, it is hard to clean up and get the dirt out of all the texture.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Carbon Fiber Dash?? Reply with quote

Consider water transfer printing.
bim55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Carbon Fiber Dash?? Reply with quote

I've always liked the look also and have done it a couple of different ways on my buggies.

This first photo was a 3M adhesive available in different colors an patterns from ebay. The flat dash on this Deserter Series 1 obviously has comparisons to your dash.

This photo is a basketweave fiberglass cloth that I used to wrap the dash of a Deserter GT while repairing it with epoxy. I can add a before photo but you'd just think I was crazy to rescue this dash.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Carbon Fiber Dash?? Reply with quote

If you want the "real McCoy" stuff, it'll cost a little more. Thin veneer pieces can be purchase and glued over a base material (aluminum or fiberglass sheet) to save some $$.
Here's a couple of vendors:

http://dragonplate.com/default.asp

http://www.protechcomposites.com/
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Carbon Fiber Dash?? Reply with quote

GS guy wrote:
If you want the "real McCoy" stuff, it'll cost a little more. Thin veneer pieces can be purchase and glued over a base material (aluminum or fiberglass sheet) to save some $$.
Here's a couple of vendors:

http://dragonplate.com/default.asp

http://www.protechcomposites.com/

Thanks for the link. I'll save this link for when I redo my dash.
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Carbon Fiber Dash?? Reply with quote

most places that do vehicle wraps can do a carbon fiber look wrap, or as was suggested, hydrodipping looks great. I just did the cabinet back for the TV on my boat to give it a cleaner look.
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: