Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A compliment to the EV?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: A compliment to the EV? Reply with quote

I picked this up today. I think it's as good as I can get for a somewhat versatile VW product that you can buy in the US.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: A compliment to the EV? Reply with quote

That's a good looking car. Congrats!

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: A compliment to the EV? Reply with quote

Great colour...
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: A compliment to the EV? Reply with quote

Ooooohhh!!! I want one too! My Mk4 wagon feels stale next to this.

I'm very interested to read your thoughts on it. Congrats!
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: A compliment to the EV? Reply with quote

Your post made me realize how ignorant I am about VW's current full line (I've been away from the fold for quite a few years, up until the recent Weekender purchase). I confess I even had to dig around on their the website to figure out which one this was. Embarassed

Having found it, it looks like it will be fun! Very Happy

I like the color too.

Congrats!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: A compliment to the EV? Reply with quote

This one is the SEL with the one option you can get (park assist and xenon headlights). It's got a bazillion buttons and doodads on it. So, it'll take a bit to figure out what they all do. Ride quality and the interior quality is really good. It's nice and quiet too. The DSG is perfect and it has paddleshift.

I drove 15 different vehicles over two weeks before I came down to a Escape, the Alltrack or a Tiguan. In the end, the Alltrack won out. I just don;t see VW selling many of these because in America, wagons don't sell that well. In Europe, a different story. In the end, I'll just end up with another oddball VW that will make me stick out like a sore thumb because I'm the only person driving around in one.

FYI: The EV ain't going anywhere. I'm just not driving it as much and have been just doing various projects to it because camping season will be here soon and I still love the EV for skiing.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: A compliment to the EV? Reply with quote

I'd love one of these in a turbo diesel but that's probably a few years away

Crying or Very sad

I just rolled around Spain and France in a Renault Talisman at 50 mpg between 80-90mph

Crazy

Last edited by Abscate on Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: A compliment to the EV? Reply with quote

What I really wanted was the CrossGolf they sell in Mexico. It's an Alltrack S with the 1.4l 150hp motor and only one option. All for $18,600. For that price, I think everyone would be buying them here.
http://www.vw.com.mx/es/models/crossgolf.html

Maybe the SpaceCross in Brazil:
http://www.vw.com.br/pt/carros/SpaceCross.html
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: A compliment to the EV? Reply with quote

This fall, my friend saw what he described as a VW the size/format of a sprinter, camouflaged doing test runs on the grade in death valley. Granted, we were a few beers deep during this conversation so his description is a bit foggy but it was defiantly a box van like product by VW.

I wonder if there is something new in the works for the NA market.
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: A compliment to the EV? Reply with quote

It's a Crafter. Go to Mexico and they are all over the place.
http://www.vwcomerciales.com.mx/es/models/crafter-cargo-van.html
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: A compliment to the EV? Reply with quote

Just to make this thread EV related (not pictured is the older Mexican VW Sibling, the 2000 Jetta TDI). I think it's pretty much a conversation that would go like this, "Hey Golf, do they still have that bald guy at the plant who picked his nose on the assembly line?" The response by Golf, "Yep, he's still there."
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: A compliment to the EV? Reply with quote

The Crafter and Sprinter are the same vehicle, in a similar manner as the Chrysler Town & Country and VW Routan--yuck

I'm a little confused about modern VW offerings, but is there a difference between a Golf wagon and a Jetta Wagon?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: A compliment to the EV? Reply with quote

You can;t buy a Jetta Sportwagen any more. 2014 was the last year. VW did a platform and lineup change and for 2015, just Golf Sportwagen. The Jetta was slightly bigger.

Funny thing is that the Golf is not the cheapest VW you can buy in the US any more. It's the regular old Jetta.

If this would have been offered in the US, I would have bought it instead:
http://www.volkswagen.de/de/models/passat-alltrack.html

Also, VW does sell the regular Jetta Sportwagen in 4wd and it's about 10K less than what I got. So, I know what VW is doing. The TDI buyback starts this month and many are taking their TDI in and buying a 4wd or Alltrack Sportwagen. Plus, VW is going to offer them in a manual. That's going to get them back most of their business.
fkahlert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: A compliment to the EV? Reply with quote

My brother in Germany just got a Skoda Superb Kombi which is built on the larger NA Passat platform. Holy cow, that thing has oodles of space both in the trunk and legroom in the back. AWD and 6spd DSG with a 2.0l Diesel. Pretty nice.

Also as I was flying back I read an article about Skoda being the new fav child with better price/value than VW and the head of Skoda vehemently denied rumors that Skoda may be the way to sell more cars in the US under a "fresh" brand.

The model policy of VW USA still leaves me flummoxed every time I am trying to understand it... Subaru and Kia easily outselling VW in the US is just testament to boneheaded failed German-thinking model policy ("if sese Americans don't like our cars, its seir own fault - sey just don't get it").
/rant
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: