Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Of Consoles and Cupholders
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Of Consoles and Cupholders Reply with quote

On my "long list" (i.e. won't happen right away, but definitely on my list) is improving that storage area up in front of the shifter on our Weekender. I'd like it to be a closed compartment for one thing (I'm tossing around the idea of making something with an aluminum tambour door), and I'd like it to store more stuff for another.

At the same time, as part of that project I'd like to change the cupholder area that's up there (on the floorboard). I like those cupholders when they fit the container I'm drinking from, but it seems like that is very often not the case (my favorite coffee mugs, for instance, are just a little too big).

All that reminded me of something I've thought about on and off for quite a while: in most of the vehicles I've owned, the cupholders usually seem to me to be a weak spot interior-wise -- they're either too small, or too big, or overly complex, or too fragile, or just ugly and clunky, etc. etc. My goal is for our van to have front cupholders that even Goldilocks would like. Wink

Does anybody's car have a cup holder that they really LIKE? Any make or model. If so, I'd love to see a picture of it, and hear why you like it.

What would your perfect Eurovan cupholder set up look like up front, and/or how would it function? I'm only familiar with the ones in the later-model MV and MV Weekender -- which, like many, are just a static small round indentation (which happens to be too small for much of what I want it to hold). If you've got an older Eurovan or an EVC that has wonderful cupholders that you like and I've never seen, by all means please do share. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Of Consoles and Cupholders Reply with quote

I had two of these in my Vanagon:
http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?v=&id=3043
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

They were attached to the vertical panel below the stereo. I could fit a 3-3/8" diameter coffee mug / french press in there and they folded up nice when not in use. They also had a spring loaded shim that pressed against mugs / drinks that were a smaller diameter. I will eventually mount some in my EV as well...

IdeaNerd wrote:
On my "long list" (i.e. won't happen right away, but definitely on my list) is improving that storage area up in front of the shifter on our Weekender. I'd like it to be a closed compartment for one thing (I'm tossing around the idea of making something with an aluminum tambour door), and I'd like it to store more stuff for another.

At the same time, as part of that project I'd like to change the cupholder area that's up there (on the floorboard). I like those cupholders when they fit the container I'm drinking from, but it seems like that is very often not the case (my favorite coffee mugs, for instance, are just a little too big).

All that reminded me of something I've thought about on and off for quite a while: in most of the vehicles I've owned, the cupholders usually seem to me to be a weak spot interior-wise -- they're either too small, or too big, or overly complex, or too fragile, or just ugly and clunky, etc. etc. My goal is for our van to have front cupholders that even Goldilocks would like. Wink

Does anybody's car have a cup holder that they really LIKE? Any make or model. If so, I'd love to see a picture of it, and hear why you like it.

What would your perfect Eurovan cupholder set up look like up front, and/or how would it function? I'm only familiar with the ones in the later-model MV and MV Weekender -- which, like many, are just a static small round indentation (which happens to be too small for much of what I want it to hold). If you've got an older Eurovan or an EVC that has wonderful cupholders that you like and I've never seen, by all means please do share. Smile

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Of Consoles and Cupholders Reply with quote

I put two grey cupholders from West Marine on each front door of my EV for soda cans. Cant take a big gulp but you can get pulled over for these in NY anyhow.

(sarcasm)
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Of Consoles and Cupholders Reply with quote

@Abscate, this one?
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--folding-drink-holder--P015_454_003_502?recordNum=2

I hadn't even thought of using the doors for cup-holding. That opens up quite a few options and possibilities. Thanks for sharing!

@wildenbeast, thank you for sharing, too! I like the adjustability of that one in particular. I may even buy one just to check it out and test it firsthand for a while. Smile

I realized later after I posted my initial post yesterday, that I didn't include a picture of the part I'm talking about. There are probably quite a few people who have other kinds of EVs and may not even know what I'm talking about as far as the "console". So, here are a couple pictures of it:

I want to redesign this part entirely, and replace it with something that stores more stuff, can be closed like a little storage cabinet of sorts, and in the midst of that redesign, I don't want to lose the ability to have cups well-held up front. So, I thought I would zoom out a little, and search across "the entire world of cars" to see if anybody out there has OEM cupholders they really like, in any car they own.

It may be that I should just focus on the cabinet/console part, and then use something along these lines above (fold-out cupholders) as the cupholder option, which could attached to either this redesigned console/storage part, or the doors. Hmm... Think
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Of Consoles and Cupholders Reply with quote

I bought this back in 2003. It's from a 1997 and supposed to be mounted closer to the floor. I got it to fit and still use the original center console. If there's anything that I did to that van that was the #1 idea, that was it. It gets used all of the time, not in the way and is very handy. I always thought a throw all for stuff that was within reach while you were driving was what the EV needed.

fkahlert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Of Consoles and Cupholders Reply with quote

The original center console leaves you wanting in many ways. The main tray is too low too far back and always accumulates all kind of crap that makes you say "ah there it is" the next time you clean the van. And the cup holders are too small and after dark you can't see anything.
I added some red LEDs that provide some light down there and they look nice and also took an ugly contraption of a car seat cupholder and mounted it in/on the left console pretend-cupholder. That one is not pretty but at least you can put your tall coffee cup in there without it falling out every time you start from a red light.

I look forward to what you come up with in terms of replacement.
Florian
03 MVWK
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Of Consoles and Cupholders Reply with quote

I've been thinking of installing flip-out cupholders in the door panels about there the window winders would be on a manual. Are there any interference gotchas I should be aware of prior to moving forward with that plan?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Of Consoles and Cupholders Reply with quote

In that area I don't think there's anything in the area but I'd just take the door panel off. The EV door panel is super easy to remove and it ends up lifting off as opposed to door panels that have clips that can break.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Of Consoles and Cupholders Reply with quote

Yeah, I suppose that's for the best. I can use screw nuts on the backside, too

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Of Consoles and Cupholders Reply with quote

"In that area I don't think there's anything in the area but I'd just take the door panel off. The EV door panel is super easy to remove and it ends up lifting off as opposed to door panels that have clips that can break."

this.

those panels are the easiest door panels to remove of any car I've ever owned (roughly 15 different types of foreign and domestic, and yes i've probably removed the panels from all of them).

while you're at it, replace your stock door speakers with something a little bit more punchy. Hell, even the $45 Kicker brand speakers at Walmart will change the sound in your van.
'84 Vanagon Westfalia (Pink Flamingo - Pastel White/Pink)
'88 Vanagon GL Westfalia (Frankie Says - Wolfram Gray)
'02 Eurovan Weekender (Green Apple)
'95-'03 Eurovan full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'84 -'91 Vanagon full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'72 Porsche 914 (Greta - RIP)

www.RockyMountainCampervans.com
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Of Consoles and Cupholders Reply with quote

fkahlert wrote:
The original center console leaves you wanting in many ways. The main tray is too low too far back and always accumulates all kind of crap that makes you say "ah there it is" the next time you clean the van. And the cup holders are too small and after dark you can't see anything.

Laughing Agree -- way too low! The flip down holders on the door seem to be the most readily available solution. And if installed carefully -- they can pass as "factory".

For knick-knack storage I'm all for the dash cubby upgrade (of course) -- but if we didn't walk-through to the back so much to tend to the kids, I would probably spend more time looking into a decent centre console between the chairs. More storage, cup holders, a dedicated step into the loft, etc.

This past spring I met Ivan (NeedleNoddleNoo) and he gave me his prototype console -- I think it was just a bit too wide to lay perfectly flat with the e-brake trim so he rebuilt a second. Nothing fancy, basically a plywood box, with a removable lid. But it sits at just around seat height - and provides tons of hidden storage and when closed its like having a table next you. And what a difference to travel comfort that made, having a seat-side table is awesome! Great place to stage my lunch/snacks and phone during the trip.

From his thread:

From the Vanagon section -- this mod always seemed like a good idea that would also be applicable to Eurovans -- and that's using a flip-up console tray found in older Honda Odysseys (99-'04) or from a CRV.

Pics from Buspor63's thread:

Linkage to discussion: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=532973
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Of Consoles and Cupholders Reply with quote

After a little more research -- I found that the Honda CRV models could also be found with a flip up tray -- it looks a bit thinner and attaches to the drivers side. This might be good as I read some feedback on the Vanagon thread that this mod wouldn't work so hot with a rotating seat base (aha!). Moving the flip base to the drivers side might be the solution.

Also read that this version from a 2007 CRV can be found with a 12v outlet and possibly and audio input. So potential wiring fun as well! Black, tan and grey colours?

fkahlert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Of Consoles and Cupholders Reply with quote

"For knick-knack storage I'm all for the dash cubby upgrade (of course) -- but if we didn't walk-through to the back so much to tend to the kids, I would probably spend more time looking into a decent centre console between the chairs. More storage, cup holders, a dedicated step into the loft, etc."

Many moons ago a Stop and Shop red basket somehow made it between the front seats and it has resided there ever since accumulating dog tennis balls, various generations of lotions and sundries, unrolling rolls of dog bags, water bottles (mostly half empty and which may be mine but I am not admitting guilt) etc. They seem to not pay rent and if I dare to remove one item it is promptly noted with the "where did the ... go? did you again take stuff...."
+ 1 for a good console solution.
Florian
03 MVWK
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Of Consoles and Cupholders Reply with quote

fkahlert wrote:

Many moons ago a Stop and Shop red basket somehow made it between the front seats and it has resided there ever since accumulating dog tennis balls, various generations of lotions and sundries, unrolling rolls of dog bags, water bottles (mostly half empty and which may be mine but I am not admitting guilt) etc.

Florian - are you saying your centre console was a shopping basket?

For that act of thriftiness, I tip my hat to you. Very Happy
fkahlert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Of Consoles and Cupholders Reply with quote

Yessir. Its red, still there and fits perfectly between the seat and the hand brake. Comes also with several pairs of unmatched gloves, a role of paper towels and I just found a couple of bells we put on the dogs when we walk them so people don't get too scared..... Smile

Also, this wasnt about thriftiness. One day it was in there and it fit and it worked and it is removable (if you want to walk through to the back) so there was no reason to rethink it. Practicality trumps aesthetics.
alapah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Of Consoles and Cupholders Reply with quote

If you manage to make or find a wooden center storage bin that fits in between the front seats you can drill holes in the top to hold poker table cup holders (http://www.pokertablematerials.com/poker-table-cup-holders/?gclid=CM3DyqiYmNACFUiCfgodzOUJ3Q).

I use a desktop file box to store odds and ends between my front seats (it's easy to move out of the way when operating the pop top). My goal is to make a wooden insert for the top of the file box that would house two poker table cup holders.
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Of Consoles and Cupholders Reply with quote

Only reason I don;t like something in between the seats is because when I park in the garage, the left door is against the wall. I walk through the van and use the sliding door for entrance and exit. I could park on the other side of the garage but that ain't happening because that's where my wife parks. I could back it in but that's just a pain because I'm lazy.

I'd think a center console that has the same footprint as the late model center console. Then it extends all the way up to the stock dash. It could mount to the floor and to the dash allowing good fastening points so it actually lasts over the years. That way, you can still use that little runway between the seats. If you don't want to do that, then you can have just more storage there. Best way to put it, use the wasted air space that exists right now.
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Of Consoles and Cupholders Reply with quote

For cup holders, if you could use something like this (it's on many BMW's). The new Alltrack has the same ones and they work great for various sizes of cups (plus cheap water bottles). https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/front-cup-holder-insert-gray/51168248504/
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Of Consoles and Cupholders Reply with quote

jjvincent wrote:
Only reason I don;t like something in between the seats is because when I park in the garage, the left door is against the wall. I walk through the van and use the sliding door for entrance and exit. I could park on the other side of the garage but that ain't happening because that's where my wife parks. I could back it in but that's just a pain because I'm lazy.

This is me in reverse -- my kids are small and I load them into the back through the sliding door and climb in with them (second row removed). I reach over the seat and start the van while the kids get into their chairs, then turn to them get them buckled up and happy - then I climb through into the cab. The walk through ability is a must have for me.

jjvincent wrote:
I'd think a center console that has the same footprint as the late model center console. Then it extends all the way up to the stock dash. It could mount to the floor and to the dash allowing good fastening points so it actually lasts over the years. That way, you can still use that little runway between the seats. If you don't want to do that, then you can have just more storage there. Best way to put it, use the wasted air space that exists right now.

These Projectzwo consoles might be worth looking into -- here's Kafercup's ultra rare version for automatic:

These are pretty pricey - but something like this with the din slots has been used with some fold out cup holders.
fkahlert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Of Consoles and Cupholders Reply with quote

i totally agree walkthrough is important. When we camp this thing bothers me. On day2day not so much. Right now the "new kids" are 2 dogs - and we actually had to add a barrier because one of them would just love to ride upfront. Aint gonna happen.

The Project2 looks good except it dates itself with the fisher c-boxes. I dont even remember last time I used a tape in a car....

Florian
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: