Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Of Consoles and Cupholders
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mkscott2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Of Consoles and Cupholders Reply with quote

I decided to make this project #1, as I quickly tired of reaching all the way to the floor for my coffee. All of the ideas in this thread are really neat for their given purposes. I decided to start with a cardboard mock-up to see if my following goals for the console could be met:

1. elevate level of cupholders to reasonable height
2. make the cupholders capable of holding my favorite travel mug- which is really not gargantuan
3. create better storage (possibly enclosed)
4. add a "folding" table extension- so that I have somewhere to keep my travel snack in reach
5. maintain ease of pass through- at least from the passenger seat

Some progress made... still thinking it through

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scottn59c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Of Consoles and Cupholders Reply with quote

Way to use the old noggin, guys. In mkscott2's picture, I noticed he has the caddy swapped in to the passenger area where EVs lack a glove box.

IdeaNerd, if you want to keep tinkering with aftermarket EV ideas, how about an actual glove box? One that has a latch and can open and close. I haven't bothered seeking out a caddy because the open nature of it strikes me as odd, ugly, and cluttered. It's bad enough that everything I put into the other open cubbies on the consoles often goes spilling out at a red light.

Like many of you, I consider it unfortunate that the EV doesn't have a real glovebox. I have way too much crap crammed into the box on the driver's door.
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Of Consoles and Cupholders Reply with quote

Scottn59c wrote:

Like many of you, I consider it unfortunate that the EV doesn't have a real glovebox.

Early model EVs all come with a glove box. Xtremjeepn has mentioned fitting one to a later EV, but the fitment left some gaps.
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Of Consoles and Cupholders Reply with quote

Had enough of the stock OEM eurovan dash dual cupholder.

Issues of stock:
(1) Don't hold things well, since not hold clamp onto the cup, just old rubber gasket to try to add some grip. They don't accommodate larger cup sizes.
(2) Have to have both cupholders down at a time, which is bit awkward, since the OEM cupholder on the Eurovan is somewhat in the way of my hand reaching the gearshift to shift when going up/down hills/mountains.
(3) On the OEM dual-cupholder, if put drink in one cupholder and phone in other (for audible GPS directions through radio), the fluid can flow over from drink to bottom of phone.
(4) Price and availability: I have seen OEM dual cupholder listed up to $300 USD for places that still have some in stock. However, I wouldn't want it anyway for reasons above. Plus the cupholders wear with time, it would be better to have a system that is more replaceable.

For myself, I prefer not to have cups on floor since too far for me to reach, nor to have on the doors. I'd prefer not to drill new holes in van. I like to keep the area clear between the front seats for walking back and forth from front seats to camper area.

After reflection, this was my approach for 99 Eurovan camper:
(1) Carefully removed OEM dual cupholder, bagged and stored in case some future owner wishes to bring it back for some reason.
(2) Oak faceplate created. There is a lower horizontal wooden piece behind the main faceplate that rests onto where the stock OEM dual holder would have rested.
(3) Screw oak plate onto car, using the holes/bracket that OEM cupholder used.
(4) Screw the folding cupholders to oak faceplate.

Now can just use 1 cupholder at a time, keeping gearshift area clear. They grip properly and can accommodate large diameter cups. The cupholders are separate so that fluid on bottom of coffee cup not wander into bottom of phone being held by other cupholder. As cupholders get older over the years, can just screw in a new folding cupholder for about $10 instead of $300 unobtainium.

Best wishes!
Stock dual cupholder:

Replacement:

Last edited by Zeddy on Tue May 16, 2017 12:34 am; edited 1 time in total
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Of Consoles and Cupholders Reply with quote

@Zeddy A neat and simple mod. Thanks for sharing!

I don't think I even realized the older EVs have the cupholders up high like that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Of Consoles and Cupholders Reply with quote

mkscott2 wrote:
I decided to make this project #1, as I quickly tired of reaching all the way to the floor for my coffee. All of the ideas in this thread are really neat for their given purposes. I decided to start with a cardboard mock-up to see if my following goals for the console could be met:

1. elevate level of cupholders to reasonable height
2. make the cupholders capable of holding my favorite travel mug- which is really not gargantuan
3. create better storage (possibly enclosed)
4. add a "folding" table extension- so that I have somewhere to keep my travel snack in reach
5. maintain ease of pass through- at least from the passenger seat

Some progress made... still thinking it through

Nice! Thanks for sharing.

The console design I'm playing with in my head is functionally similar in some ways, though different in shape. Cool that you've mocked it up! Thanks for sharing with us! Smile

I'm intrigued by @Xtremjeepn's comment (on another thread) about clearance for his feet and being relatively tall (6'2" if memory serves). I'm under six feet tall, and in observing my own walkthough-entry patterns, I don't foresee having clearance issues there if I "go vertical" with a console design. I've heard others complain about that issue though, and I'm curious if it's correlated to height at all. All that said and mused about, this is the beauty of "Cardboard Aided Design" -- you find out for sure! So cool that you're doing that.

@Scottn59c Thanks for thinking of me. Smile I gave a "short answer" elsewhere, but longer version is that a new center console, a glove box, and some variation of a kind of "walkthrough" storage box (are the Brits the only ones who call that area a gangway?) are all projects I hope to get to at some point.

On the glove box front, I've acquired two of the "cubbies" that I intend to use as a reference and/or something to hack on a bit. @Xtremjeepn also generously offered to sent a earlier-EV glove box to me as well, but we've both been too busy to get the payment and shipping logistics worked out. Hopefully soon.

I also want to just take a walk in some "Pick Your Own Part" kind of salvage yard soon, to get some more input regarding existing glove box designs. I've never designed one before -- much that I'm ignorant about, I'm sure. Usually helpful and always wise to take a good look at what's already been done.

I'm really enjoying and appreciating everyone's posts on this thread! Really great stuff. Smile
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Of Consoles and Cupholders Reply with quote

I'd put some tape on top of that center console. When you spill some coffee it'll soak into the cardboard and weaken the structure. Plus, it'll just look better.
eurovank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Of Consoles and Cupholders Reply with quote

I have a 2002 EVC with the cup holders near the floor. I built a cardboard mockup similar to this some time ago, a little shallower even. I immediately ran into the walk-through obstruction.

For me, when the van is in the garage, the only way to get out is via the sliding door. So, get out, I realized I was swinging my feet through the gap below the console and in front of the shift and having the cardboard console there blocked that swing. So, I had to sort of raise my feet over the shift and twist my bottom clockwise in the seat to get out. Quite a drag. I should note that I am not super tall at 5'9.

This problem was slightly alleviated if I slid the seat all the way back, but then I didn't have room for the table. Those with a weekender might not have this issue since your tables are mounted parallel to the side panel.

IdeaNerd wrote:

Nice! Thanks for sharing.

The console design I'm playing with in my head is functionally similar in some ways, though different in shape. Cool that you've mocked it up! Thanks for sharing with us! Smile

I'm intrigued by @Xtremjeepn's comment (on another thread) about clearance for his feet and being relatively tall (6'2" if memory serves). I'm under six feet tall, and in observing my own walkthough-entry patterns, I don't foresee having clearance issues there if I "go vertical" with a console design. I've heard others complain about that issue though, and I'm curious if it's correlated to height at all. All that said and mused about, this is the beauty of "Cardboard Aided Design" -- you find out for sure! So cool that you're doing that.

@Scottn59c Thanks for thinking of me. Smile I gave a "short answer" elsewhere, but longer version is that a new center console, a glove box, and some variation of a kind of "walkthrough" storage box (are the Brits the only ones who call that area a gangway?) are all projects I hope to get to at some point.

On the glove box front, I've acquired two of the "cubbies" that I intend to use as a reference and/or something to hack on a bit. @Xtremjeepn also generously offered to sent a earlier-EV glove box to me as well, but we've both been too busy to get the payment and shipping logistics worked out. Hopefully soon.

I also want to just take a walk in some "Pick Your Own Part" kind of salvage yard soon, to get some more input regarding existing glove box designs. I've never designed one before -- much that I'm ignorant about, I'm sure. Usually helpful and always wise to take a good look at what's already been done.

I'm really enjoying and appreciating everyone's posts on this thread! Really great stuff. Smile
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Of Consoles and Cupholders Reply with quote

eurovank wrote:
I have a 2002 EVC with the cup holders near the floor. I built a cardboard mockup similar to this some time ago, a little shallower even. I immediately ran into the walk-through obstruction.

For me, when the van is in the garage, the only way to get out is via the sliding door. So, get out, I realized I was swinging my feet through the gap below the console and in front of the shift and having the cardboard console there blocked that swing. So, I had to sort of raise my feet over the shift and twist my bottom clockwise in the seat to get out. Quite a drag. I should note that I am not super tall at 5'9.

This problem was slightly alleviated if I slid the seat all the way back, but then I didn't have room for the table. Those with a weekender might not have this issue since your tables are mounted parallel to the side panel.

I think I remember you commenting about that earlier (maybe on this thread? I'm not sure). I remember the "when the van is in the garage, the only way to get out is via the sliding door" aspect -- I found myself envisioning that as a daily event.

I'm going to have to mock something up too I think, just to see if this will be a problem for us in our van. When I watch how I go through the walkway, it seems like I always lift my leg over the shifter anyway, rather than swinging my leg around it. But, I'll have to see if that holds true when I put something "in the way" above that MV cupholder console in ours and am not paying attention to how I'm moving.

I also don't have to go through the walkway very often -- certainly not every day like you have to. So, even if proves a little inconvenient, it won't be a daily aggravation. (Currently, I find myself wishing the armrests could swing behind the seats when folded down, to open up the space between the seats and make it easier to pass through the walkthrough area.)
eurovank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Of Consoles and Cupholders Reply with quote

LOL. Indeed, I looked back on this thread and I DID say basically the same thing a few months ago. Sorry about repeating myself!

Incidentally, I tried a couple of floor to console mockups, and the only time I was having issues was getting OUT of the drivers seat. Walking in through the sliding door Getting INTO the drivers seat was not obstructed.

IdeaNerd wrote:

I think I remember you commenting about that earlier (maybe on this thread? I'm not sure). I remember the "when the van is in the garage, the only way to get out is via the sliding door" aspect -- I found myself envisioning that as a daily event.

I'm going to have to mock something up too I think, just to see if this will be a problem for us in our van. When I watch how I go through the walkway, it seems like I always lift my leg over the shifter anyway, rather than swinging my leg around it. But, I'll have to see if that holds true when I put something "in the way" above that MV cupholder console in ours and am not paying attention to how I'm moving.

I also don't have to go through the walkway very often -- certainly not every day like you have to. So, even if proves a little inconvenient, it won't be a daily aggravation. (Currently, I find myself wishing the armrests could swing behind the seats when folded down, to open up the space between the seats and make it easier to pass through the walkthrough area.)
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Of Consoles and Cupholders Reply with quote

No need to apologize! It's great to have input on this, even if more than once. Smile

Very interesting re: getting IN vs. getting OUT of the driver's seat. Good to know that aspect of your experiences with floor-to-console mockups!
mkscott2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Of Consoles and Cupholders Reply with quote

I just posted this in my other thread, but thought it could be more helpful posted here. After fooling around with a bunch of cardboard over the last couple weeks, I decided to move forward with wood- instead of just covering it in tape! Cool I definitely do not have Needlenoddlenoo's woodworking skills, but the design worked out well for us. It does impede movement of the foot when going aft from the driver's seat, but the passenger seat is completely clear. I'm fine with this since I really don't anticipate the need to climb back-n-forth from the driver's seat too often.

The empty space is now occupied by three decently sized drawers from the front, and the driver's side has a small cabinet in which we will store a first aid kit. Passenger side also received a net-pocket for maps and such. The kicker though... was the cupholders. They are now in perfect reach, hold our cups well, and I even added an LED so we can see them at night. AND, there is a small table which slides right down past the back side of the cupholders. You can see a stick behind the cupholders in the top left and right pics- that is the handle. When extended/deployed (top middle and bottom pics), the table simply rests on top of the console- secured by means of two straps from beneath. Now, I have a safe place to put my travel snack and our cups!

Last edited by mkscott2 on Wed May 24, 2017 5:13 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Of Consoles and Cupholders Reply with quote

Nice work!

I really like how you've integrated the table -- that's some nice design thinking, there. Are the straps that secure it inside, attached to the end of the table that is against the dash? Regardless, very nice how it tucks away so neatly when not in use.

Interesting combination of cabinet and drawers, too. Did you have specific things in mind to go in those when you made them, or just made them and are filling them up now as you go? (I'm curious about your design process on that part.)

The net on the right side is another bonus. I could picture a couple umbrellas fitting in there, or something similar.

Thanks for sharing your process with us on this -- I for one have enjoyed watching the bits that you've shared along the way. It looks like you've ended up with something very usable. Bravo! Smile
mkscott2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Of Consoles and Cupholders Reply with quote

Thanks IdeaNerd!

The straps are attached by glue and very large washers to the underside of the table. Then the other ends attach to a bar inside, which rests at the small curve closest to the engine.

The drawer size and layout was optimized for the given space. Each one is as deep as possible, which means the middle is the longest, with the top and bottom two a bit more shallow. I didn't have a particular item in mind for fitting into the drawers.

The net was a total after-thought. I like the idea of an umbrella sitting there. The other thought I had on that one (a little too late though), was to cut a 1.5" hole in that side and secure a PVC pipe on the inside of the console. That way, you could easily store an umbrella in the tube without worry of what the water might do to the wood. I may still do something similar under the seat.

The cabinet at the driver's side foot-well was designed for that space because it 1) utilizes otherwise dead-space behind the gear select, and 2) provides ample space for a custom first-aid kit I'm putting together. No other thoughts to it's size or shape there.
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Of Consoles and Cupholders Reply with quote

Thanks for the answers and details @mkscott2! Helps satisfy my somewhat-endless curiosity. Wink

May what you've created give you and your family years of great service, as you go on new adventures in your new van! Smile
boinzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Of Consoles and Cupholders Reply with quote

This guy came up with a wooden console solution for his van:

Link
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Of Consoles and Cupholders Reply with quote

mkscott2 wrote:

Wow - great job! Love the pull out table!
mkscott2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Of Consoles and Cupholders Reply with quote

Quote:
Wow - great job! Love the pull out table!

Thanks! I have used this set-up on a handful of roadtrips now, and it is turning out to be pretty useful. Worked out quite well to have my sushi sitting on the table as I drove along. Didn't attempt to use the chop-sticks while driving though... Laughing
milkandrelish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Of Consoles and Cupholders Reply with quote

IdeaNerd wrote:
@Abscate, this one?
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--folding-drink-holder--P015_454_003_502?recordNum=2

I hadn't even thought of using the doors for cup-holding. That opens up quite a few options and possibilities. Thanks for sharing!

@wildenbeast, thank you for sharing, too! I like the adjustability of that one in particular. I may even buy one just to check it out and test it firsthand for a while. Smile

I realized later after I posted my initial post yesterday, that I didn't include a picture of the part I'm talking about. There are probably quite a few people who have other kinds of EVs and may not even know what I'm talking about as far as the "console". So, here are a couple pictures of it:

I want to redesign this part entirely, and replace it with something that stores more stuff, can be closed like a little storage cabinet of sorts, and in the midst of that redesign, I don't want to lose the ability to have cups well-held up front. So, I thought I would zoom out a little, and search across "the entire world of cars" to see if anybody out there has OEM cupholders they really like, in any car they own.

It may be that I should just focus on the cabinet/console part, and then use something along these lines above (fold-out cupholders) as the cupholder option, which could attached to either this redesigned console/storage part, or the doors. Hmm... Think

Where does one buy something like this?
misterbee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Of Consoles and Cupholders Reply with quote

I got one of these last year, and I love it. Secure cupholders, and lots of storage: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/476677941795282536/

And they are made by a member, paparhino.

His website is rhinodesignstudio.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: