Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you see?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

Here's the sign giving particulars
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1st Saturday of the month.

And then I happened upon this place, they run a flea market every weekend look at this American made vise it's huge and it went for 40 bucks.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

Heh heh....you think cars are expensive?.....start looking into the auctions for classic American and british made steel heavy tools....specifically from 1890s to the 1960s.

I mean like Wilton vises. The prices on tools with correct stampings to show when and where they were made....can be amazing. Collectable and functional.

Places like that are great for picking up cool old tools with great function for cheap. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

So I'm out schlepping around today at a huge swap meet, this one is primarily American cars but if you look real hard VW stuff is there and cheap. Here's what I got the manual is 1974 which will go nicely with my 74 bug. The bumpers were marked 50 bucks but the man was willing to deal, I'm thinking 40 for both. Last week I ran up on a pile of original fuel pumps to rebuild.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

Damn.....a Jackie cooper license plate frame!

At one time there were only a couple,VW dealers in OKC....Jackie Cooper and Thunderbird in Norman. There may have been one more downtown.....but pretty much no more than one open at a time.
Oh...forgot about the dealer over in Del City on 15th. Its a pawn shop now. Cool! Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

Started raining here Thursday night and didn't stop till 6 this morning, some places over 5 inches..... Disaster for outdoor swap meet but I'm not a quitter and in this case buyers have the advantage, I'm a buyer. Went back to Ghia bumper got both for 60 and they are complete with everything. Samba classified price? 200 to 700 apiece. Found a guy selling brand new craftsman tools from the last plant in the US, now they are in china does this please the harbor freight aficionados? Anyway new hand tools 2 and 3 bucks apiece.

The one on top is a bottle opener, I got that to open a beer Very Happy

That's just one container he had a truckload of stuff, again a buyers market.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Started raining here Thursday night and didn't stop till 6 this morning, some places over 5 inches..... Disaster for outdoor swap meet but I'm not a quitter and in this case buyers have the advantage, I'm a buyer. Went back to Ghia bumper got both for 60 and they are complete with everything. Samba classified price? 200 to 700 apiece. Found a guy selling brand new craftsman tools from the last plant in the US, now they are in china does this please the harbor freight aficionados? Anyway new hand tools 2 and 3 bucks apiece.

You're just a regular little "American Picker", ain't ya?
Shall we call you "Mike"--------or would you rather be "Frank"?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Neither please, I think they are a couple of assholes.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
iowegian wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Neither please, I think they are a couple of assholes.

Oh.
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

Damn Zund, did you already rebuild those fuel pumps before taking the pic? Those are clean as hell. Maybe some of em don't even need the rebuild....
Laughing

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
Damn Zund, did you already rebuild those fuel pumps before taking the pic? Those are clean as hell. Maybe some of em don't even need the rebuild....
Laughing

No that's a before pic, I run them through very gentle plastic media blast, it works on carbs too. Cleans without upsetting the surface it fact plated parts stay intact. Works well for heads too you could say the like it.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
Laughing

I was thinking that too. The carb is super clean too.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OKType3Tim Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Last week I ran up on a pile of original fuel pumps to rebuild.

Now....Fess up on how you came by those fuel pumps and carb.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

Ok I ran up on them, thats the short answer but Tim did the leg work by attending a car show swap meet and bought them on my behalf. Thanks again

In fact he drove quite a ways to attend bug a palooza in Tennessee, said it was a nice show too. I'll try to be there next year. I think the pumps were five bucks apiece and I only showed the VW ones there's as many brazil pumps as well and another complete 34 pict carb. Very Happy
OKType3Tim Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

In fact he drove quite a ways to attend bug a palooza in Tennessee, said it was a nice show too. I'll try to be there next year. I think the pumps were five bucks apiece and I only showed the VW ones there's as many brazil pumps as well and another complete 34 pict carb. Very Happy

Jim gave me a short shopping list. About the fifth vendor down the first aisle, I found a whole milk crate of fuel pumps. Sorted out the early rebuild-able ones for Jim. Found the carbs down at the end of the row.

Another Tulsa VW friend had attended in the past and let us know that they have a large swap meet. The swap meets we have locally (Springfield, Eureka Springs, Tulsa(no longer) have thinned out over the past few years. The swap at Bug-A Paluza is a testament to the active VW scene in that area.

The picture in the previous post only shows about a third of the swap area.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

Found an old Proto torque wrench today as well as a few miscellaneous items
Craftsman brake adjuster tool, Snap On 7/16 combo wrench, three Snap On sockets, two ball peen hammers and and an Antique English caliper. I can fix the hammers, drop the torque wrench off by the standards lab at work for calibration, trade the Snap On tools back to the Snap On distributor for metric sizes or credit. Total spent 20.00, just another day at the flea market. Very Happy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

That flea market I visit on the weekends has been operating since the 70s, its an institution around here but I like scrounging for tools. So today I scored a Craftsman 7mm that will come in handy for brake bleeders. But the ratchet is the hidden gem. It's marked Industro and made in USA but upon closer examination the dimensions and inner workings are identical to Snap-On. Side by side comparison the Snap-On on the left is indistinguishable from the Industro on the left. What is known is that Snap-On made a lower line of tools called Blue Points as far back as the 1930s and another line called Par-X from the 50s through the 80s. Funny how this shares all the same parts with the snappy. Anyway it cost a whopping 2 dollars. So I got both this and the Craftsman for 3 bucks. American Made tools you can't beat that.

hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

Years ago I kinda swore off the local all-makes swap meet hosted at the local dragstrip. For years straight I never found anything worthwhile VW. I gave them another chance last year because a buddy picked up someone else's collection of OG paint splittie ashtrays. Last year I found a couple NOS Hella peanut lenses and got excited. This year: a dove gray splittie hub cap ($3) and two more NOS lenses. I'll keep going as long as there's a few shiny things for me.

I'm a believer now in these all makes swaps.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

Going there gives me an excuse to take the bug and walk around drinking coffee, I get a little exercise. Over the years I've found all manner of cool stuff. Two years ago a Hazet Assistent showed up and I got it for just over a hundred bucks. Marantz receiver 60.00, but it the tools that draw me in. Like a Wilton bullet vise for 25 bucks these sell all day long for 300 and up. Ever seen a hydraulic assist bench vise? rare i found one for 40 bucks, It's just hit and miss at the flea market and the people watching is good too. More often miss but I still get the coffee,the walk and the VW ride. Very Happy
I'm addicted to tools, Higher quality American tools and if I have a vice it would be vises too.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
That flea market I visit on the weekends has been operating since the 70s, its an institution around here but I like scrounging for tools. So today I scored a Craftsman 7mm that will come in handy for brake bleeders. But the ratchet is the hidden gem. It's marked Industro and made in USA but upon closer examination the dimensions and inner workings are identical to Snap-On. Side by side comparison the Snap-On on the left is indistinguishable from the Industro on the left. What is known is that Snap-On made a lower line of tools called Blue Points as far back as the 1930s and another line called Par-X from the 50s through the 80s. Funny how this shares all the same parts with the snappy. Anyway it cost a whopping 2 dollars. So I got both this and the Craftsman for 3 bucks. American Made tools you can't beat that.

Actually.....those two ratchets while probably the same age....are quite different. They are just similar.....but a nice score!

Indestro/Duro tools actually dates to a ketal working company Older than Snap on and made a far wider range of tool sets than Snap-on....and made sets for Sears before Craftsman made hand tools, Western Auto in the 1920s/30s and Montgomery ward through the 1940s.

Its highly possible they made specialty tools for Snap-On. I found this.... a killer six page read on Indestro and Duro metals history with everything you could want to know.

http://alloy-artifacts.org/duro-indestro.html

Ray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

Ok so I'm up to my usual M.O. Checking out used tools looking for bargains. It's pretty hot here this time of year so I get out early and as guy was setting up we found this. It's complete has all the books and manuals is clean and it works. This is just the way it came I haven't tried to clean it up in any way. It's a later unit from 1979 and it has all the features a VW person would need including a remote starter button. Neat I traded the guy four used tires I took off a toyota truck when I bought new. I always save used tires because the state charges us a 2.00 recycling fee, they claim it keeps tires from going into landfill or worse thrown on side of road although I still see a lot of that.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: