Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you see?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

Cool, I see that VW407 has a lot of different uses in the Tool listing on the site
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OKType3Tim Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

Although, I would probably need to work on the other end to get it to where it would perform all of those tasks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

Yesterday wife and I took a road trip up to Eureka Springs Arkansas, it’s a resort town in Northwest Arkansas. Almost every weekend they are host to one group or another this weekend was another pride week actually the entire month of June is but This weekend also hosted bikers. That’s a great combination I thought.

Had lunch at Myrtle May’s which is restaurant within the “Inn of the Ozarks“ the host hotel of the big VW show coming up the end of August. Lots of history been there since 1920s. Drove in from the south and left from north this puts us on old 71 hwy and remembering a flea market I stopped just to look 15 minutes from closing time. Bingo

It’s kind of an odd place the former corporate headquarters for Hudson Foods which was bought out by Tyson Chicken in the late 1990s. So it sat empty for a dozen years before someone got the bright idea to open it up for resale items, tools,music,clothing you name it. I went straight for the tools and located this nice Snap-On side box which fits any bottom rollaway tool box. I nearly soiled myself when I saw the price 37.00 these sell new for a little less than 1000 and can be found on eBay upwards of 250 and up plus shipping which because of size and weight gets ridiculous. Out the door tax and they loaded it 41.00 The only concern was it needs a lock.

I’ve been to this place once before and tools are there at super cheap prices why I don’t know.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
The only concern was it needs a lock.

I’ve been to this place once before and tools are there at super cheap prices why I don’t know.

needs a lock Question and you wonder why they sell tools cheap Laughing
was it still a little hot to the touch?
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

Cheap tools and Fence shop...

May I quote the Muir.....?

“ Don’t buyhot tools, their bad karma follows them forever.”
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

Abscate I love your quote:“ "Don’t buy hot tools, their bad karma follows them forever.” I remember on the news when Covid19 was peaking some thieves robbed a hardware store and were selling a load of new Dewalt tools on Craigslist. Both of the thieves were caught and had Covid19. Shocked

Abscate wrote:

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

I like that date code chart,I have a sole old snappoff non chromed renches,i wonder how old they are...and blue pointed ones too.. the pic of the old analizers gave me a chuckle...I have a few mack tools analizers...I bought new..( yes stupid, they outdate so fast, but needed tham at the time) I think Ive used them 10 times for 1 and probably a hundrad for the other and no clue where they are now..I did have a timing light from mack tools but gave it back to them ...they told me it wouldent work on electric ignition..musta been for a diesel. but they were right it did not work. but I never found a diesel with a spark plug wire to clamp the inductive pickup to Shocked as for the napoof adjustable light that replaced it and snappoff replaced about 10 times....I think the last one is still going.and I think snappon changed thier warranty on them too...replacement nomater what....cought in fan...replaced , run over..replaced...burn off wires...replaced...when they get all scratched up and grungy...they dont replace it...unless you run over it. Wink dam I miss those days. wtf I think it was $246.00 way back.....
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

I can see how you’d put 2 and 2 together and get 5. This place is legit and helps fund a charity. Always assume the worst huh?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Abscate I love your quote:“ "Don’t buy hot tools, their bad karma follows them forever.” I remember on the news when Covid19 was peaking some thieves robbed a hardware store and were selling a load of new Dewalt tools on Craigslist. Both of the thieves were caught and had Covid19. Shocked

Abscate wrote:

I loved that one.

It’s in the Idiot Book.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
I can see how you’d put 2 and 2 together and get 5. This place is legit and helps fund a charity. Always assume the worst huh?

Which flea market?
And u didn't stop by and say hello!! P'shaw
ave not been up to Eureka in a bit, may take a journey up that way in the next few days time to get out

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

It’s amazing what deals you can get on VW stuff at these swap meets, our town has an antique festival twice a year and I’ve gotten so many deals
-1600 SP motor fairly complete but torn apart $40
-65+ rear pop out windows $7
-64 and earlier convertible rear seat and a matching front $10
-61 and earlier bug taillights with a late 40s Marx train and a crappy headlight for $30
- 64-66 front fenders, one was trash but the other was just missing the weld in nut but the headlight assembly was almost NOS condition $45
-61 and earlier front bus doors $80
The key is to get there before all the other VW people and find the good deals Laughing my best one to date is for sure the convertible rear seat and the front seat for $10, it was at the back of a vendors booth that had all 20s ford stuff, he thought it was for a Ford but it wasn’t. The only reason it caught my eye is that I noticed the original VW grained vinyl.
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

^^^^^^^ this. Several months ago I was walking around the big flea market here that’s been going strong since 1972, i would say it’s well established and indoors. I found two guys selling auto literature, brochures etc, piles of stuff all makes and models for 1.00 each.

Some of the regular vendors I’ve known for over 20 years, they are retired guys that haunt garage sales, auctions, estate sales etc. then resell at the flea. anyway I dug out a lot of type 3 stuff and type 2. It was totally random they said it came from estate sale of a collector so they got it dirt cheap. I prefer this type of sale because it is all random they are not trying to squeeze people like much of the stuff you see at VW shows and even the classified section here.

The small minds here think everything must be stolen if you got a good deal on it. Keep thinking that way 😀
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

Today I went to outside auction. It happens 4 times a year and it was a mixed bag of odds and ends. I’ll show you just a bit.

These are old Walker 8,000 pound jacks made between 1936 and 1960 they are fully rebuildable and unless scrapped will be in use 50 years from now. If you could rebuild a wheel cylinder you could fix this jack.

Other assorted goodies

These go cheap too

More tools.

Very small sampling of what they had all kinds of lawn equipment, four wheelers, shop supplies. Oddball items such as chainsaw art carvings of bears. Get up early go see what’s out there people.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432, did you buy them? Old jacks are super cool, I had to buy a new one because I could find an old one and didn't know parts were available.

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Today I went to outside auction. It happens 4 times a year and it was a mixed bag of odds and ends. I’ll show you just a bit.

These are old Walker 8,000 pound jacks made between 1936 and 1960 they are fully rebuildable and unless scrapped will be in use 50 years from now. If you could rebuild a wheel cylinder you could fix this jack.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

Oh yes all the parts and seals are available and they are easy to work on just like all the stuff was 60 plus years ago Very Happy I must admit I like these particular Walker models because of design. It looks like Art Deco to me with the cast in lines a swept back body and shrouded rear wheels. These are the big boys 4 ton but they also made a 2 ton model that looks same. The first one I ever saw was given to me free about 20 years ago and it was rough. It sat outside In the weather behind a garage for years and the actuator had to be sleeved, that’s worst case scenario. But getting back to design every time I look at these I think of this guy and the way he approached industrial design.

The younger me would have bought these but because of age and health I’m in a downsizing mode. I’ll be moving within the next couple of years so I passed. Stuff like this flies under the radar. Most larger urban areas have hydraulic supply shops, we have one here. The seals are available there or can be purchased online.

www.garagejournal.com has good info on dealing with these things. The only drawback is they are heavy. It would take two guys that ate their Wheaties to load em up. The info on Raymond Lowey although obscure is a window into industrial design.

https://www.raymondloewy.com/about/biography/
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

I went to an Estate sale of a guy that owned a local hardware store last weekend, they only let 10 people in at a time,waited about a half hour, left, came back when there were less people, I went thru the house/basement & garage, bought 1 steel wedge, just about to leave, went thru the garage once more spotted this round object against the back wall w/stuff piled in front of it:

dug this ^^^ out, I then saw this:

The Sale folks said $25 !!!!!!! Laughing

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

https://prohardware.com/about/
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

A $25 Split!

Probably stolen , too.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

This is a cool thread. I really dig salvaging old American tools and putting them back into use.
Being in Little Rock, I should sneak up here for the next sale.

Zund email some info please.

Sam

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you see? Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
This is a cool thread. I really dig salvaging old American tools and putting them back into use.
Being in Little Rock, I should sneak up here for the next sale.

Zund email some info please.

Sam

Yes I can do that.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: