Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch release fork and oil slinger play
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lucianosanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Clutch release fork and oil slinger play Reply with quote

So I am in the process of removing the transmission from my 83 water cooled Westfalia and I have a couple questions for you guys.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I took a look at the clutch release fork on it looks like this Sad
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I know I need a new one but I was wondering if there are good and bad ones I can get? I was looking at the BusDepot one http://www.busdepot.com/091141701, is this one good or are there better ones?

I also have a question about the oil slinger play... Is this too much?

Link
[/url]

thanks for the help all.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch release fork and oil slinger play Reply with quote

That play you're showing is between the input shaft (part you're holding) and internal gear it connects to. Hard to say watching a video of this "play" but amount shown is likely normal. A small threaded stud connects that shaft to a gear inside tranny. If I recall, Bentley specs threading that input shaft to that gear until it seats (snug) then backing it off CCW a turn or so. This is (part? all?) of what creates that play. Though the stud connects the input shaft to internal gear, a sleeve slides over the two parts. The sleeve takes the load not the stud.

There should be lots of info on the cross shaft but my take on it is don't buy a cross shaft that has yellow metal. The difference will be reflected in the price.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch release fork and oil slinger play Reply with quote

As Neil mentioned, you aren't showing the slinger. You are showing the input shaft. The slinger is behind the input shaft seal and so it cannot be seen in the video. You need to remove the seal and then see if the slinger will move at all using a small screwdriver. No amount of movement is permissible. It needs to be solidly in place.
lucianosanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch release fork and oil slinger play Reply with quote

I understand, thank you guys for the replies. Here is a video of just the oil singer. It doesn't appear to me that it is moving much, what do you think?There was some oil sitting behind the input shaft seal, is that normal or should it be completely dry in there?

Link

Thanks again!
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch release fork and oil slinger play Reply with quote

With the input shaft removed, I can see the lip of slinger. Hard to see any movement with camera moving around. Wink

Along with Andrews comments, if in doubt, would suggest inspecting further.
It's not hard to remove the clutch housing and for most folks, it's standard
practice to use RTV sealant in place of the OEM thin paper gasket between
housing and tranny.

edited:

If theres excessive play at clutch operating shaft bushings, it may be
easier to R&R those bushings with clutch housing is still attached.
Removing the lever at outer end of cross shaft can be tough.
What I do is countersink a small hole at center of lever exterior end,
get shaft part way out, use an open end wrench as backing against inner face
of arm then hook the jaws of a Pittman arm puller on the wrench to pull off
the arm. If that makes sense.
I've posted pics of that on this forum.

If you search Andrews handle, you should find his post on the oil slinger.
Very helpful info there.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch release fork and oil slinger play Reply with quote

I thought I saw it move a little a couple times. As Neil says, it's hard to tell with the camera moving. You can certainly tell better than anyone else. As I said before, get a small flat blade screwdriver or pick and snag the edge of it and see if you can get it to move. Any movement at all means is unacceptable. It needs to be a press fit in the bell housing.
lucianosanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch release fork and oil slinger play Reply with quote

Got it, I will try moving it tomorrow with a screwdriver or pick. Do I need to drain the tranny oil if I remove the clutch housing? I'm guessing there's oil in there?

Vanagon Nut, I think I have a clear picture of how to remove the lever, I will try tomorrow, thanks.

Since I needed more parts (clutch lever, flywheel lock, RTV sealant)and can't get them till tomorrow I decided to pause this until tomorrow (trying to get the day off...).

I understand if some of my questions are stupid, but this is my first time ever doing anything like this, so far I think I did a good job removing the transmission Smile I hope I can finish the job right. Thanks again for the continued help everyone.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch release fork and oil slinger play Reply with quote

What are your plans for having the tranny out?

Great time to renew flywheel seal & o-ring, pilot bearing, felt seal, etc...

These are all $1 to $10 parts that can fail anytime, result ranging from
unfortunate long-term oil leak to complete mechanical failure... Rolling Eyes

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
lucianosanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch release fork and oil slinger play Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
What are your plans for having the tranny out?

Great time to renew flywheel seal & o-ring, pilot bearing, felt seal, etc...

These are all $1 to $10 parts that can fail anytime, result ranging from
unfortunate long-term oil leak to complete mechanical failure... Rolling Eyes

- Dave

Dave, I've purchased all of the above and plan on installing them. Actually the only reason for dropping the tanny was because I had a pretty bad oil leak coming from the rear main seal. A couple of you guys helped me gather the parts and confidence in this post: Very Happy

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=625646&start=40
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch release fork and oil slinger play Reply with quote

You're all over it, then...cool! Cool

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
lucianosanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch release fork and oil slinger play Reply with quote

So I worked on the van this weekend and was able to get a new clutch release fork from AirHeadParts here in Ventura.
http://www.airheadparts.com/Operating-Shaft-Clutch-Release/item/091-141-701

They said that this should it should fit my transmission but when I went to install it, it didn't...

The diameter of where the fork goes into the brass bushing is too big and does not fit. Also, the clutch lever does not fit on the other end. Have you guys seen this before? Is this normal?

Another question... One of my flywheel shims (the big one http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_2219_1511/big_crankshaft_end_play_shim_81.40mm.html) is warped. The edges are not flat, they curve up like a bowl. Any idea where I can find one and why this would happen?

Thanks!
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch release fork and oil slinger play Reply with quote

lucianosanchez wrote:
So I worked on the van this weekend and was able to get a new clutch release fork from AirHeadParts here in Ventura.

They said that this should it should fit my transmission but when I went to install it, it didn't...

The diameter of where the fork goes into the brass bushing is too big and does not fit. Also, the clutch lever does not fit on the other end. Have you guys seen this before? Is this normal?

Another question... One of my flywheel shims (the big one http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_2219_1511/big_crankshaft_end_play_shim_81.40mm.html) is warped. The edges are not flat, they curve up like a bowl. Any idea where I can find one and why this would happen?

Thanks!

No dis to the vendor but based upon the image I see online, that part looks like it's been plated. And roughly done so at that. At that price, don't expect a great part. The lever should have "teeth" that fit into grooves on the cross shaft.

Though kind of obvious, add a little moly grease to that bronze bushing in the blind hole. It rarely sees new lube.

Would van-cafe have the shim you need? I bought some end play adjusting shims for the 2.1 WBX from them not long ago.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
lucianosanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch release fork and oil slinger play Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
lucianosanchez wrote:

Thanks!

No dis to the vendor but based upon the image I see online, that part looks like it's been plated. And roughly done so at that. At that price, don't expect a great part. The lever should have "teeth" that fit into grooves on the cross shaft.

Though kind of obvious, add a little moly grease to that bronze bushing in the blind hole. It rarely sees new lube.

Would van-cafe have the shim you need? I bought some end play adjusting shims for the 2.1 WBX from them not long ago.

Neil.

The new one has those teeth you mentioned and I tred lining them up but had no luck. Everything is identical it appears, until I try to fit the new shaft. I did apply grease but it is stuck, and I mean no movement at all. Everywhere I looked, all shafts appear to be "plated" as you mentioned. I was not able to find one that was not.

I purchased another one from eBay and I'm hoping that it will work.

As for the shim, Van-Cafe is the only place I can find it but they are out of stock. Just my luck... Sad If anyone here has an extra one, I'm willing to buy it from you Smile

I wouldn't be able to use the warped shim would I? From what I was reading that shim is an adjustment shim that slows down the oil spraying out of the main bearing and helps prevent leakage at the seal. It is B on the Bently.
lucianosanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch release fork and oil slinger play Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
I thought I saw it move a little a couple times. As Neil says, it's hard to tell with the camera moving. You can certainly tell better than anyone else. As I said before, get a small flat blade screwdriver or pick and snag the edge of it and see if you can get it to move. Any movement at all means is unacceptable. It needs to be a press fit in the bell housing.

Andrew, you were right. It was actually very loose. I thought it wasn't supposed to move from side to side and thought that in and out movement was okay...

Anyway, I followed the instructions in the oil slinger post and it is now solid as a rock! Thank you!
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch release fork and oil slinger play Reply with quote

lucianosanchez wrote:

The new one has those teeth you mentioned and I tred lining them up but had no luck. Everything is identical it appears, until I try to fit the new shaft. I did apply grease but it is stuck, and I mean no movement at all. Everywhere I looked, all shafts appear to be "plated" as you mentioned. I was not able to find one that was not.

You could measure the old cross shaft against new? Assuming the bronze bushing wasn't damaged during removal of the cross shaft you're replacing, (very unlikely!), that sucks that the new cross shaft isn't fitting correctly.

Along with what you're discovering, my thought is that this new cross shaft is one of those less expensive yellow metal types but has been plated. This is just a guess on my part obviously. Measuring each part with callipers would reveal a lot.

the clutch housing material is fairly soft. Be careful if you choose to lever the new cross shaft out of the blind hole. If at least 75% of that blind hole bushing is not damaged, i'd consider re using it. i.e. you wouldn't need to replace it. Most of the load is obviously applied at the bushings nearest the lever.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
lucianosanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch release fork and oil slinger play Reply with quote

An update on the release shaft. I ended up purchasing another one from another source on eBay (second one) which also ended up being too large. FML! It was a bit smaller than the first one I purchased from AirHeadParts but still did not fit in the bushing. After two failed attempts I found weddleindustries.com which appears to make their own reinforced release shaft. I received it in the mail last night and will be comparing it with the original VW one with my calipers.

If anyone is thinking of getting the ones from eBay that look like they've been coated with a shiny metallic finish, I would suggest you don't purchase them because that coating appears to add thickness. The metal on those also appears to be of less quality than the original VW one.

The one from Weddle looks like it uses the same metal as VW and has a much nicer finish; not to mention it is reinforced with more welding around the arms. I will let you know if it fits tomorrow.

Here's a link if anyone is interested:
https://weddleindustries.com/product/1000897
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch release fork and oil slinger play Reply with quote

thanks for the link. Nice to see the 9025 bushing. And, they offer a new diesel clutch housing? Could be really useful for VW engine swappers.

Hope the weddle sourced part fits. That's interesting that 2 in a row didn't fit. I assume the original part still fits? (bronze bushing wasn't some how damaged. Id think it wouldn't be)

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
lucianosanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch release fork and oil slinger play Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
Hope the weddle sourced part fits. That's interesting that 2 in a row didn't fit. I assume the original part still fits? (bronze bushing wasn't some how damaged. Id think it wouldn't be)

Neil.

Thanks! Yes the original one still fits. I actually bought the GoWesty Clutch Cross Shaft Bushing Kit so I ended up replacing the bushing anyway. http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?v=&id=24315
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch release fork and oil slinger play Reply with quote

Nice kit. That small retaining bolt can go MIA or otherwise. I recall making one for my first clutch housing rebuild.

You will enjoy having a nice shudder free clutch. Couple that up with a smooth tight shift linkage, super nice feeling.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: