Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Veteran assistance needed
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Veteran assistance needed Reply with quote

Hi and thanks for clicking onto this. I don't spend time on other websites but here.
I'm looking for referrals, links, personal experience with an attorney who practices civil law in Calif. Prefer SoCal but not a big deal.
My issue is not directly veteran related, but I am a veteran, 20+ years, and is indirectly veteran related.
I receive e-mails from the Calif site www.calvet.ca.gov. Their e-mails list legal service clinics but may meet only 1x per month.
Personally, I cant afford a $500/hr attny, so here I am.
Thanks in advance, Bill.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: VETERAN ASSISTANCE NEEDED Reply with quote

VA website has a list of free legal clinics. Maybe try a couple of those?

https://www.va.gov/ogc/docs/LegalServices.pdf
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: VETERAN ASSISTANCE NEEDED Reply with quote

Thanks brother. I have not seen that website. Some of those local referrals I have attempted to use. The inner city law center seems to be putting their emphasis on the homeless vet issue in LA's skid row and the slum lord issue, which I wholeheartedly support, as I get their e-mails. The NLSLA is a referral towards the LA County self help centers. I will be there at 0730HRS tomorrow morning to address the basic paperwork out at the courthouse where this shit is happening. The self help centers cant give legal advice and assist with paperwork only. DAMN!!
As stated, I've heard of those entities but not the names/contact numbers. Thanks Cali_Army_Guy, stand by.
Bill
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: VETERAN ASSISTANCE NEEDED Reply with quote

Another resource that is sometimes overlooked is your local VFW. I guarantee there will be at least one other person there that has gone what you're going through and can offer assistance.
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: VETERAN ASSISTANCE NEEDED Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
Another resource that is sometimes overlooked is your local VFW. I guarantee there will be at least one other person there that has gone what you're going through and can offer assistance.

That is outstanding info there. Might even be an attorney who does pro-bono work in your local VFW. Rockerarm, do you use Facebook? Dysfunction Veterans page is a good place to ask. Just like Cali_Army_Guy said about the VFW, there are Vets there who might have been there and done that.

DV Anthony

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Agent47
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Veteran assistance needed Reply with quote

You could contact any base JAG office and they might be able to give you some good POCs.

Thank you for your service brother.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Veteran assistance needed Reply with quote

Hi. Thought an update was in order here as I have rec'd some good referrals.
Fri, Nov4, began as any other day til the mail came. Seeing that my credit union accnt was now completely frozen and at the beginning of the month left me freaking out as to how bills would be paid. So, with my wing man, at my six, I paid the credit union a visit and spoke with a person from the levy dept, who informed me as to what they did and why. I countered with the fact that the only income is from two protected sources (VA benefits and Gov't Pension) and they are not allowed to freeze them. She stated they have to do what the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Dept tells them. I told her what she could do with the LASD and that as a federal credit union they fall under federal rules and regulations. I told her she was violating the law and their would be consequences to her actions. This was all out in their lobby as she has no office, and am glad to let other members hear what this credit union is doing.

The weekend, I spend doing some internet research and initiated this thread.
Continued to freak out

On Mon, Nov7, I utilized the VA legal services pdf, supplied by Cali Army Guy, and attempted to speak with Paula Clamurro at the VA site in LA's SFV. Well, the website isn't accurate and she is not there. I now went to another building where the various Veteran Service Officers operate out of and speak with a VFW person but he is reluctant to provide anything legal. DAMN! Within this building is a few other different offices and I decide to check out the library. I inquire as to any legal resources on post here for veterans legal needs. A retired SGM made some calls and directed me to the social services where I was given a 50+ page packet listing legal services within the LA area. The packet was put together by a law firm and Loyola Law School.

So, in the next week I researched this packet, made calls and e-mails. Also, had a time deadline to file a response to the levy, which I succeeded in. I had a couple of small face-to-face meetings with attorney's and they approved the legal doc's (response) I had filled out and filed.
Then Paula Clamurro eventually contacted me somehow and stated my actions to file a response was appropriate.
Met up with the local VFW commander and he gave me some tips to use and I subsequently volunteered for them on Veteran's Day Feast they provide.
After the holiday I notified the VA and my Gov't Pension and had the direct deposit changed to hard checks.

During my many hours on internet searching I came across www.consumerfinance.gov and filed online complaints against the Plaintiff (law firm) and my credit union, on about Nov15. I additionally went back to my credit union to speak with someone with rank there. Finally spoke with the levy person and again in their lobby made my scene. I stated I had spoken with counsel and it was his opinion you, the credit union, have violated the law. I am here to give you the opportunity to "right this wrong" or I will be forced to take it to the next level. I told her the employee I spoke with the other day said she "did not care". I finalized in saying somebody right now better start caring! She stated she would call me back in a couple of days.

I received e-mails from consumerfinance.gov stating they were forwarding the credit union complaint to the National Credit Union Administration and the Plaintiff's have responded to my complaint. On Sat, Nov26, I rec'd mail from the Plaintiff in response to the complaint. While they argued their claim is valid they stated they will not oppose my filed doc's to the LASD Levy Officer.
I may have won this battle but the war, I don't quite know yet, as my ATM still wont release funds. I may be visiting the credit union Mon morning.
Wonder if an e-mail complaint to the Calif State Attorney General's office is warranted here? And poss to the BBB.

Thanks to all who have given me some confidence here. When all is done I will try and come up with lessons learned from this.
Bill.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Veteran assistance needed Reply with quote

Definitely contact the AG, the BBB on the other hand, has no teeth.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Rustforlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Veteran assistance needed Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Definitely contact the AG, the BBB on the other hand, has no teeth.

X100 on the BBB comment. Evil or Very Mad
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Veteran assistance needed Reply with quote

What's the name of the credit union? You can message me if you don't want to post it in here.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Veteran assistance needed Reply with quote

rockerarm wrote:

After the holiday I notified the VA and my Gov't Pension and had the direct deposit changed to hard checks.

Be careful with this. Federal benefit deposits made by check are not protected. They're only protected if they are direct deposited. If you're switching to paper checks DO NOT cash them at your credit union.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Veteran assistance needed Reply with quote

I don't know just what your issue is, but there are a few entities that deal with banking, and they might help you. Politicians smell blood weeping from banks after the recent Wells Fargo mega-fraud. Try your local elected representatives... if it's a fed issue, seek fed offices, state--state, etc. Then try these guys; not legal help, but more consumer-oriented troubleshooting or press/media:

California Office of the Attorney General (AG) Public Inquiry Unit, P.O. Box 944255, Sacramento, CA 94244-2550, (800-952-5225)

Los Angeles City Attorney’s Office, attn.: Chief Deputy James Clark (700 City Hall East, 200 N. Main Street, Los Angeles, CA 90012)

Federal Reserve Consumer Help, PO Box 1200, Minneapolis, MN 55480, (888-851-1920)

Federal Office of the Comptroller of Currency (OCC), Consumer Assistance Group, Federal Office of the Comptroller of Currency (helpwithmybank.gov)

California Department of Business Oversight, attn.: Commissioner Jan Lynn Owen (1515 K Street, Suite 200, Sacramento, CA 95814)

Consumer Action ([email protected].)

Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, attn: Director Richard Cordray (http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/#mortgage)

U.S. Senate Banking Committee, attn.: Senator Elizabeth Warren ([email protected])

NBC4 I-Team, attn: Randy Mack, Joel Grover, Jenna Susko ([email protected])

CBS Los Angeles Investigative Reporter, attn: David Goldstein ([email protected])

Los Angeles Times, Kim Christensen, City Desk ([email protected])
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: