Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

71 Project with Turbo 1915cc Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Project Reply with quote

Thanks for the response clonebug! Fixed the exaust leak and still getting an error with a warm garage so Im gonna cave and get a new sensor and bung extender. The motor is running quite a bit better so I'm going to swap it into my 67 here pretty soon. Also picked up a new 36hp doghouse shroud that isn't chrome along with some Cyl head tin. Found a VDO head temp gauge for $20 (what a steal!)
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Project Reply with quote

Where abouts in the PNW are you???

I live 5 miles from the Canadian border in the PNW.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Project Reply with quote

Im quite a drive from you down in Gig Harbor. The new sensor and extension showed up in the mail. While waiting I pulled the engine and did a little cleanup. Whoever put this together should be kicked in the jimmies. Found a mess of wiring and non attached tin.
Before
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

During

Almost together just a few things I still need to paint. Oh the joys of Chinese tin...
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Project Reply with quote

I see a Buggy there........ Cool

Almost looks like an Empi Imp.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Project Reply with quote

Yes it is! Well kind of. I'm thinking it is a 1st gen Imp clone. But it is uncut and in pretty great condition! that project is last in line unfortunately..

Nearly finished with the engine cleanup. A few more odds and ends to get together but soon enough I can put it in my 67.. Man that exhaust is tall..hoping for some more accurate AFR readings in return. I can always cut it down if need be
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Project Reply with quote

FullFender wrote:
Yes it is! Well kind of. I'm thinking it is a 1st gen Imp clone. But it is uncut and in pretty great condition! that project is last in line unfortunately..

Nearly finished with the engine cleanup. A few more odds and ends to get together but soon enough I can put it in my 67.. Man that exhaust is tall..hoping for some more accurate AFR readings in return. I can always cut it down if need be

With your exhaust pointing up like that the first time you start it......well.....since it's new exhaust tubing maybe not the first time.......but you are going to blow black gobs of soot all over your car every time you fire it up and there is condensation created from the exhaust warming up.
It will get old especially if it gets on you.

If you have the 02 sensor in the bend right out of the turbo and have about 18 inches of exhaust your should get good readings.

I had a straight pipe out of my turbo and it lasted two or three weeks. It was a cop magnet and it got really annoying on any length of drive.

This was when I first got the turbo setup going way back when.......

It drips a LOT of water when I first start it up.

With yours pointed up like that it won't push the water out untill you rev it up a bit and it will make a mess along with trapping water right where your 02 sensor is......02sensors and water don't mix very well....it will ruin it in short order.
That's why you always have them at the 10 oclock or 2 oclock position to keep any moisture from getting into the sensor.

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Project Reply with quote

yeah that exhaust isn't permanent, I have 2.5-3ft left of pipe that a buddy will weld for me. I pulled the 67's 1600dp last night. The throwout bearing only had one clip and it was broken Shocked Laughing . I found that the 1600's pressure plate has a collar on it. Looks like this: http://www.vw-wholesale.com/details.aspx?group=60&cat=424&subcat=1913&id=7358. We've got a 1700lb Empi plate that is on the turbo motor and it doesn't have this collar so will it still bolt up or will I have to buy a collar that'll fit?

Since this pic I've got the old tar board out and I'm in the process of cleaning it up to spray some black bed liner in there.
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Project Reply with quote

I also hooked up the full flow. For some reason it was already cut for ff but wasn't drilled and tapped or anything. I'm a little worried that it has a 30mm oil pump. That might be what is causing the blow by but the PO also had about 3-1/2 quarts of oil in it.
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Project Reply with quote

Been awhile since an update. I was able to find a CHT gauge for 20 bucks but I'm going to have to drill out the sender a little bit for the spark plug to fit. Did some white trash engineering and got the gauges mounted up. Also purchased a Kennedy Stage 1 pressure plate that will actually fit (hopefully Laughing ). What are your guys opinions on the urethane motor mounts? Sorry for the blurry pic
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Project Reply with quote

Got all the wiring finished that I could until the battery is put back in, also painted the header and the rest of the tin. Got started on mounting the new Kennedy Pressure Plate. Finished up with the tach mount aswell.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Project Reply with quote

FullFender wrote:
Been awhile since an update. I was able to find a CHT gauge for 20 bucks but I'm going to have to drill out the sender a little bit for the spark plug to fit. Did some white trash engineering and got the gauges mounted up. Also purchased a Kennedy Stage 1 pressure plate that will actually fit (hopefully Laughing ). What are your guys opinions on the urethane motor mounts? Sorry for the blurry pic

Just get some HD motor mounts instead of the urethane mounts.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/CB-Rhino-Transmission-Mounts-F-R-CB6211-p/cb6212.htm

Also get a mid mount that bolts on under the frame horn. It will save your front mount.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Front-Transmission-In...-mount.htm

You can also get this for supporting the frame horns from flexing on wheel spin.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Rear-Truss-Bar-1961-Beetle-SB-and-GHIA-p/rear-truss-bar-ec.htm

Or the more expensive one....

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Fast-Fab-Truss-Bar-1-TIG-Welded-Chromoly-Steel-p/5400-00022.htm

Once you start pulling hard at around 13 lbs of boost.....on a 1600 it might take 15 lbs......you will spin the 3rd and 4th gear synco hubs and have to pull it to get them welded....ask me how I know..... Rolling Eyes

I have all three on my buggy and it is pretty solid. I do have 275/60-15 tires on the back and don't do burnouts......It could but I am not interested in tearing it up.

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Project Reply with quote

FullFender wrote:
I also hooked up the full flow. For some reason it was already cut for ff but wasn't drilled and tapped or anything. I'm a little worried that it has a 30mm oil pump. That might be what is causing the blow by but the PO also had about 3-1/2 quarts of oil in it.

What's this blow by you are talking about????

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Project Reply with quote

Got a lot done over the weekend. Thanks for the tip clonebug, I went with the rhino mounts front and rear. Still just have some cosmetic stuff to do.
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Project Reply with quote

Made this little bracket for the linkage and it seemed to work great!

Cleaned up the pedal cluster, put on a roller pedal I had laying around
Most of the interior is done just need to put in the rear carpet and speakers/seats!

With the exhaust leak fixed it idles at 11.0-11.4 and seems to load up if you don't give it some gas every once in a while.
I took it for a drive and im pretty happy with how it runs. Driving around town and a quick jump on the highway I never got it outta 1st-2nd.
The tune still needs some work as sometimes it'll lean out a bit but after I feather the throttle it evens out
The CHT stayed steady at or a little below 200 degrees..

Happy Easter Everyone!
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Project Reply with quote

So it fired right up today, wasn't leaking oil out the fitting BUT got an E2 error on the AFR Gauge Dancing Evil or Very Mad this is the second bad sensor I've gotten from innovate and 400 dollars down the drain Very Happy . It was working just a last week.
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Project Reply with quote

I called AutoMeter and they're gonna send me a new O2 gauge. And it was my mistake I confused the term "blow by", it was just a slightly loose sump bolt. In the mean time I've been fabbricating the new standoff, I'll post some pictures tonight. One thing I haven't yet messed with is the wastegate. It's at around 6lbs at the moment, im not sure if that is enough. Any thoughts?
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Project Reply with quote

FullFender wrote:
I called AutoMeter and they're gonna send me a new O2 gauge. And it was my mistake I confused the term "blow by", it was just a slightly loose sump bolt. In the mean time I've been fabbricating the new standoff, I'll post some pictures tonight. One thing I haven't yet messed with is the wastegate. It's at around 6lbs at the moment, im not sure if that is enough. Any thoughts?

Get it running good there first then move up..

Of course it isn't enough...... Laughing Cool

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Project Reply with quote

The weather was finally nice so while I'm waiting for the O2 I nearly finished the standoff.
It isn't permanent and only two holes need to be drilled. Now it's a little more sleeper-esque Wink Cool
Sorry for bad pic quality
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Project Reply with quote

FullFender wrote:
The weather was finally nice so while I'm waiting for the O2 I nearly finished the standoff.
It isn't permanent and only two holes need to be drilled. Now it's a little more sleeper-esque Wink Cool

You taking it to the SpringMeet next Saturday????

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Project Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:
FullFender wrote:

You taking it to the SpringMeet next Saturday????

It all depends on when I get the O2 back from Innovate. I would like to be able to drive it around local to see how it acts and if it gets hot etc etc before I take it some places a little farther away. I could probably make it to Springmeet but only as a spectator
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: