Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

71 Project with Turbo 1915cc Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Project Reply with quote

Finished up the lower mount today. I think I'm going to round the end of the stud but overall I'm happy with it. With this mount the bottom of the decklid sits flush with the apron
Without the decklid-
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Secured with a quick pin, with decklid-

Bought a new Spectre filter today, the colour is going to take some getting used too but I'm happy with it
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Project Reply with quote

These are the upper mounts, they bolt right above where the original hinges go. Still need to paint them then drill for the quick pins and it should be done.

FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Project Reply with quote

Painted a drilled the mounts for the upper quick pins
Here is how they mounted up

This is painted with pins I only have a picture of the driver side but both sides are identical

Got a call from Innovate and since AutoMeter just bought out Innovate the corporate offices are in a chaotic switchover with the mechanics trying to learn the all new tech. A lot of systems are on back order so if I don't get it back by Monday they'll send me a new kit altogether.
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Project Reply with quote

Innovate sent me a whole new kit, which works good. I'm really happy with how they handled the situation in light of being in the middle of a buyout. I took its for a run today in beautiful 70* weather. It ran pretty dang good but the carb still needs some fine tuning (FI is lookin real great right about now lol). The temp stayed solid at 200F. It starts to warm up in stop and go traffic, which I think is pretty normal but it cools off after the traffic clears up.
I've got a GoPro vid from the rear window that I'll try and get posted in the next few days Laughing she's a head turner for sure

FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Project Reply with quote

New innovate censor kaput again, I know I know why should I expect anything different? :fist:
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Project Reply with quote

Get a PLX with Multigauge.....

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Project Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:

Yep..I'm on it! What exactly is a Multigauge?
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Project Reply with quote

FullFender wrote:
clonebug wrote:

Here you go...it's even on sale.

http://www.plxdevices.com/Wideband-O2-Touch-Screen-Multi-Guage-p/897346002719.htm

The Multigauge is the display gauge that fits in any 2 1/16 inch standard gauge hole. It will daisy chain up to 32 different controllers if you wan to add them.
The AFR controller and gauge will display AFR and Voltage so you could pull your voltmater gauge and install this one. You cycle through the display choices by pushing a hidden button on the display.

I currently have the AFR and EGT gauges daisy chained to the multigauge display.
Here you can see the AFR and EGT controllers stacked on top of each other.

Mine has held up to daily use for over 3 years now with the same O2 sensor.

You also never need to calibrate it.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Project Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:
FullFender wrote:
clonebug wrote:

Here you go...it's even on sale.

http://www.plxdevices.com/Wideband-O2-Touch-Screen-Multi-Guage-p/897346002719.htm

The Multigauge is the display gauge that fits in any 2 1/16 inch standard gauge hole. It will daisy chain up to 32 different controllers if you wan to add them.
The AFR controller and gauge will display AFR and Voltage so you could pull your voltmater gauge and install this one. You cycle through the display choices by pushing a hidden button on the display.

I currently have the AFR and EGT gauges daisy chained to the multigauge display.
Here you can see the AFR and EGT controllers stacked on top of each other.

Mine has held up to daily use for over 3 years now with the same O2 sensor.

You also never need to calibrate it.

Now since you're up near Oregon I'm guessing you still get moisture that spits out the exhaust? I'm wondering if the moisture has anything to do with the errors even with the bug at 7o'clock on the exhaust. If the kit comes with a bung I might weld it in the bottom of the pipe to act as a drain plug. The clutch cable broke the other day (thankfully in my garage and not when I was driving). So I'm going to be off the road for only a week or so..hopefully
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Project Reply with quote

The O2 sensor needs to be up at the 10:00 or 2:00 o'clock position to stay out of the condensation. The 7 o'clock position allows moisture to get into the sensor which will kill it quickly.

I get lots of condensation when I start my Buggy and I still have not had any issue with my PLX AFR sensor in over 3 years. My sensor bung is at the 10:00 o'clock position.
It's been in that position since 2011.

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Project Reply with quote

Grab your popcorn, disaster may have struck people. But before I poop on my own party. I got the PLX yesterday and installed just fine, happy with the whole setup. Now, the real fun that is VW's. Remember back when I said the clutch cable broke? Pulled that out and it looks fine as wine. Yet when it broke the pedal when to the floor and was just flopping around. Something with the throwout bearing must've broke, the arm the cable attaches to moves freely.
d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! d'oh!

I'd like to hear your input but I'm thinking the motor is going to have to come out........again. I guess the good news is I don't have to clean and paint it this time Crying or Very sad Anxious

Go turbo they said, it'd be fun they said.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Project Reply with quote

It is fun.....but no one said it would be a cake walk...... Wink Rolling Eyes Laughing

It takes some time to get it all worked out but once it's running good you will never go without a turbo again.

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Project Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:
It is fun.....but no one said it would be a cake walk...... Wink Rolling Eyes Laughing

It takes some time to get it all worked out but once it's running good you will never go without a turbo again.

It's all good, I'm going to enjoy every minute of driving it. I can guarantee that! Laughing

Here lies the culprit, I guess it was time for it to go.

I'm looking at some heavy duty arms, like $40.
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Project Reply with quote

Finished installing the throwout bearing shaft. The arms on this one wrap all the way around and are welded on one side Think
Old

New

Installed
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Project Reply with quote

Got the engine back in

I also worked on cleaning up the lower gauge cluster

Will go for a test run tomorrow and report back Very Happy Laughing
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Project Reply with quote

I got a lot done (for me anyway) today that I'm pretty happy about. 99% done with the interior.

It ran OK but the carb needs work. I think I'm going to 1 1/4 turns out on the idle mix. At a stop light today it loaded up and shut off right as it turned green Shocked people were generous and no one ran me over. I'd also like to get a larger power valve...it's goes a little lean up at higher rpm. I know a carb guy and he said at 10lb vacuum I should get like an 8.5 which should improve the AFR. Right now it's got a 4.5
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Project with Turbo 1915cc Build Reply with quote

A little more adjusting on the carb, the new power valve has made the AFR's way more happy and it doesn't go lean any more unless I shift too early. I've dropped a few jet sizes and I still think I need to go down because it likes to load up in traffic. Very driveable though. I also changed out my old oil feed line to a new copper one, I was a little worried about it being close to the turbo

I maybe got a few new stickers too Very Happy

Drove it a couple miles to a Horsepower cruise-in and brought home a knarly sunburn and a "Top 10 Trophy"

I only knocked the exhaust of once on the way Laughing easy fix and it is part of the adventure. All in good fun

madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Project with Turbo 1915cc Build Reply with quote

Good job on the trophy Wink Heating the intake on mine sure helped the Loading up ( RLR intake) but he's sure proud of them Laughing , Mine use to load up when I'd pull up to a traffic lite Crying or Very sad or cruising sometimes Rolling Eyes ,, not anymore Cool Before & after

76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Project with Turbo 1915cc Build Reply with quote

I'm a little surprised going to a higher number on the power valve helped at all on the upper rpms. That doesn't make it a larger power valve, just changes when it opens. That number is how many inches of vacuum it opens up at. An 8.5 opens at 8.5" of vac, a 4.5 opens at 4.5" of vac and so on. It doesn't change the amount of fuel. If you actually need more fuel in upper rpms you will have to drill out the orifices where the power valve is. Pretty common on turbos.
I love my PLX but that's one of the things that is tough having the multi gauge. For turning you kind of need to see more than one thing at a time. Ideally I'd you could see boost, afr, and vacuum at the same time, it would be easier to tune. Especially the power valve. If you could see right where it goes lean you would know where you were on the vacuum and adjust accordingly.
Almost sounds like you need a larger main jet to me. Going too high on the power valve might get you into the power valve at medium throttle cruise.
For mine I make 20" of vac at idle so I went with a 10.5 power valve. Didn't work well because it doesn't take much to get down to 10.5" of vacuum, so it would richen it up too early.
It's a crazy balancing act between the accelerator pump, main jets, and power valve.
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Project with Turbo 1915cc Build Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
Good job on the trophy Wink Heating the intake on mine sure helped the Loading up ( RLR intake) but he's sure proud of them Laughing , Mine use to load up when I'd pull up to a traffic lite Crying or Very sad or cruising sometimes Rolling Eyes ,, not anymore Cool Before & after

So to heat it up you changed to a thicker walled cast manifold? I didn't notice a good amount of condensation on my intake (LowBugget non-cast) though it was still early (7:00am) and cold out.

buguy wrote:
I'm a little surprised going to a higher number on the power valve helped at all on the upper rpms. That doesn't make it a larger power valve, just changes when it opens. That number is how many inches of vacuum it opens up at. An 8.5 opens at 8.5" of vac, a 4.5 opens at 4.5" of vac and so on. It doesn't change the amount of fuel. If you actually need more fuel in upper rpms you will have to drill out the orifices where the power valve is. Pretty common on turbos.
I love my PLX but that's one of the things that is tough having the multi gauge. For turning you kind of need to see more than one thing at a time. Ideally I'd you could see boost, afr, and vacuum at the same time, it would be easier to tune. Especially the power valve. If you could see right where it goes lean you would know where you were on the vacuum and adjust accordingly.
Almost sounds like you need a larger main jet to me. Going too high on the power valve might get you into the power valve at medium throttle cruise.
For mine I make 20" of vac at idle so I went with a 10.5 power valve. Didn't work well because it doesn't take much to get down to 10.5" of vacuum, so it would richen it up too early.
It's a crazy balancing act between the accelerator pump, main jets, and power valve.

Yeah my PLX is performing pretty good, I'm happy with it. Yeah tuning it sure is fun
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: