Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rockauto vs Cip1
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jamlit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Rockauto vs Cip1 Reply with quote

Rock auto has awesome prices for my truck and thought I would see what they had for VW's. They don't carry everything but to my surprise they do carry many things. So I looked up the headlight assembly. Rockauto only wants 41.21 per side while cip1 wants 86.00 for what looks like the same thing. Has anyone used rockauto for VW parts. They sure seem to have some very good prices on some parts.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Rockauto vs Cip1 Reply with quote

I had ordered about 6 times before from Rock Auto for parts for my truck, have been very satisfied with parts and with shipping time.

About 5 weeks ago I made my first order with them for parts for my 1970 VW. I got 4 wheel cylinders, flexible brake lines, a new gland nut, a new throwout bearing.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Rockauto vs Cip1 Reply with quote

The guys on garage squad did...
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Rockauto vs Cip1 Reply with quote

I really like RockAuto.com . . . I've ordered from them about 12 times. I too have been getting brake parts, wheel bearings, seals, etc. from them.
Fast shipping and very good prices on quality brand names!

CIP1 has been a disappointment for me on two different orders now!
carcrazed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Rockauto vs Cip1 Reply with quote

X2 on Rock Auto. You have to pay for shipping, but it still is cheaper than buying parts from most other suppliers. If you are in no rush for parts and can wait a few days...it is well worth it.

"Just When you think you are getting ahead, you're always wrong."
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Rockauto vs Cip1 Reply with quote

I was talking a MG friend, his take on Rock Auto is they are clearing house for the suppliers. You order from them they ship to you from the supplier. So what you may be seeing from CIP is the same as Rock Auto.
Oh he also has a VW.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Rockauto vs Cip1 Reply with quote

I wouldn't be surprised if the headlights were different.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Rockauto vs Cip1 Reply with quote

I've ordered from Rock Auto several times & parts were reasonably priced & were delivered without issues, I haven't had any problems with quality or service.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Rockauto vs Cip1 Reply with quote

What differentiates RockAuto from most VW parts vendors is they TELL YOU who made the part or the brand name. It would be very nice if everyone selling VW parts told you the manufacture of the part vs. having to email or call them to find out. Even more bonus points for telling you WHERE it was made in the world. Ya know, like some vendors who say it's a German part when the box says it was made in China and boxed in Germany. Laughing

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Rockauto vs Cip1 Reply with quote

There is NO comparison.
I've bought stuff from Rock Auto for my Square, Notch, the Bug I had, my Jeep, and my Scion.

When I need something mechanical, I check Rock Auto first.

To me, CIP1 does not exist. I rank them just above MAM.

But you're in Nova Scotia Canada, so saving on shipping may make it worth it to you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jamlit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Rockauto vs Cip1 Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys. Might just take a chance and order the headlight assemblies and see what happens.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Rockauto vs Cip1 Reply with quote

Rockauto is the Mcmaster Carr of auto parts. Superb service and superb customer service.....and NO....they are not a pipeline from other FLAPS. They may HAVE some manufacturers pipelines....if tyat is hwat you are getting at.....but they have their own warehouses.

Also....if you find a part that is not the correct one or the descriptikn or part number has changed....call them. They will correct it.

Also.....they get a lot of NOS parts. They seem to be good at combing warehouses and supply points from the OEM's. Most of these get listed as manufacturer closeouts.

I have have been buying from RA since 2008.....its gotten even better.

Examples of recent parts that turned out really excellent:

1. Bought complete single caliper rebuild kits for ATE calipers type 3 and 4.....cokplete w8th hardware, new bolts and bolt locking tabs. The brand listed was Centric....which is a decnt brand. They show up in Centric bags....are were simply repackaged NOS...FAG kits....made in Germany. $10 each with shipping. I bought six of them. Absolute steal!

Their normal price of $29.95 each is still not bad.

2. Last month.....another closeout listing......complete kits.... Back Arnley Italian made Hall efect distributor pickup coil, with reluctor ring, all shims, snap rings, plates, wiring and connectors for 1983 Golf GTI and sveral Audi....plus I use them to drop into ACVW distributors to convert to hall effect........ $17 each. Normal price for all brands..... $279. I bought three.

Also sign on for their e-mail newsletter. Once a month or so....you will get an email....that ljsts all sales items and closeouts.....that fit ONLY your registered vehicles. Things on this list are stupid cheap.....that where I found the caliper kits.....fuel filters $1 each.....Timkin front wheel bearings $1.50 each inner and outer.....front and rear wheel seals. .50 cents eafh....NOS SABO in the bag.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Rockauto vs Cip1 Reply with quote

I will have to give them another try. I ordered some Mopar parts awhile back, not real happy about the quality. CIP1 has been problematic as of late for me.
JiI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Rockauto vs Cip1 Reply with quote

Bought a belt for my Subie conversion. Went smoothly and cheaper, even with shipping.
Jeff
GLHTurbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Rockauto vs Cip1 Reply with quote

RA has perpetual 5% off coupon codes as well, just google rock auto coupon code and snag one from retailmenot.com etc.

RA is great - and shipping times blow away CIP1.

Be cautious with Autozone/Advanced/Pep Boys, their prices are out of control compared to RA and Amazon.

I also buy alot of stuff from FCPEuro, great prices on Meyle stuff for example. Supposedly lifetime warranty through them on everything they sell, and free shipping over 50. Their vehicle search for old VW doesn't always show everything you need, so I just cut and past part numbers into the search and find them on my own.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Rockauto vs Cip1 Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
I will have to give them another try. I ordered some Mopar parts awhile back, not real happy about the quality. CIP1 has been problematic as of late for me.

Actually the same research issues apply with RA....as they do with FLAPS.

Its kind of a hard thing....but a great many common parts on RA....like Tie rod ends or shocks or brake parts......the menu will pull up.....PAGES of parts options.

Write some of those down and research the parts brand and series on the general web. Also.....be sure to use the reaources....click on all of theinks for any part you are perusing on RA.
There is a ton of info there.

For example....in shopping tie rod ends for my 412....at any given time.....there are between 10 and 40 different part numbers with about 6-8 different brands.

Federal Mogul for example.....make six different versions....in 2-3 different grades.....of the same outer tie rod end. Some of them are crappy design and materials.
Also.....sometimes....many times.....the highest quality parts on RA....are not the most expensive ones.

I had to pull up the manufacturers tab on each part # and read what "market segment" nad usage the mfg said the part was intended to fill. I relaized that some were "econo"....some daily driver....and some basic "service replacement".

That last one is the worst actually. Its what cheap garages buy.....to put on beaters that teh owners only plan to run until the car dies. Typically they ard medium priced....because they have OEM features....but may be third world build quality. Its what garages buy go try to persuade the customer they are not putting on the cheapest parts.

Econo may be excellnt in build quality but cheap in materials....eaither way....something is lacking to make it the cheapest.

So write down the seriss and part # and do some Googleing before you buy.

Ray
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Rockauto vs Cip1 Reply with quote

I've been a customer of Rock Auto for over 15 years. I can't remember how I discovered them and I have never had any issues. Offerings include service grade (el cheapo) parts up to some high dollar offerings.

Several years ago, I received a phone call from someone high up the chain (marketing and promotions director?) who stated there was an error on a recent order for Monroe struts and that I was entitled to a rebate.

OK, that's cool.

Oh no. She apologized repeatedly for the inconvenience and wanted to ensure I was aware she was personally submitting every qualifying customer's information to ensure rebates were received. She did not want to lose me as a customer. You called me on your dime and are doing all the legwork. I'm tickled.

I've had to return parts on two separate occasions, and the process is incredibly simple. The customer goes to the website, locates the order, completes the required information, and generates a return shipping label. Pack the part and take it to a shipping facility (usually FedEx).

Rock Auto's catalog is loaded with obscure nuggets as well. #SKF 9838 is a fairly generic oil seal used predominantly in agricultural and lawn & garden equipment. I needed a replacement for a tractor steering box and all searches priced that seal at $15 plus shipping (at the cheapest). Some organizations wanted $35 for this seal.

I found it on Rock Auto listed for a DeSoto. $5.40 plus $3 shipping.

The complete service kits are another nice feature (e.g. brakes, belts).
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Rockauto vs Cip1 Reply with quote

I, too, have been using Rock Auto for many years. I hvae only had one order error, and since it was only a $5 wheel cylinder that was incorrect in a giant pile of parts for my shelf, I never bothered to return it.

I once found an ATE German master cylinder for my bus on RA. Labeled and boxed as Raybestos, the description made me suspect it was a top quality original part. For $27, I gambled and won. I mentioned it somewhere on here, and the other five were gone in a day. I guess I should have bought another for the shelf. Confused
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Rockauto vs Cip1 Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
I, too, have been using Rock Auto for many years. I hvae only had one order error, and since it was only a $5 wheel cylinder that was incorrect in a giant pile of parts for my shelf, I never bothered to return it.

I once found an ATE German master cylinder for my bus on RA. Labeled and boxed as Raybestos, the description made me suspect it was a top quality original part. For $27, I gambled and won. I mentioned it somewhere on here, and the other five were gone in a day. I guess I should have bought another for the shelf. Confused

I did the same thing with the complete FAG caliper kits......that were rebagged as Centric (not a bad brand in itself). I had bought one pair of kits....and when they arrived and were FAG made in Germany......I bought four more and mentioned it on the type 3/411-412 forums and they sold out in two days.

The bi-monthly....may be quarterly......not sure... "for your car only"....mfg closeouts/sales list is awesome. My car (s) specific parts for dirt cheap. Ray
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Rockauto vs Cip1 Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

I did the same thing with the complete FAG caliper kits......that were rebagged as Centric (not a bad brand in itself). I had bought one pair of kits....and when they arrived and were FAG made in Germany......I bought four more and mentioned it on the type 3/411-412 forums and they sold out in two days.

The bi-monthly....may be quarterly......not sure... "for your car only"....mfg closeouts/sales list is awesome. My car (s) specific parts for dirt cheap. Ray

I have bought several parts from the clearance newsletter, too. Even if just for future use. I bought a complete tune up kit for my Toyota for under $20. Quality parts, even.

As to CIP1, I have had decent luck over the years. But, I keep my expectations low so as not to be too disappointed. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: