Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just got a hardtop
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Just got a hardtop Reply with quote

I am a lucky guy, I picked up a hardtop for my winter Thing-ing. Should make it a lot warmer on those cold mornings.
I don't have th bolts to install yet, but found the size here so I will soon.
One question: the back oval glass is intact but held in with gorilla tape over the rubber. The guy I got it from said he could not get the window in the track.
Any suggestions? much appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tallman206
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Just got a hardtop Reply with quote

Look at your rubber closely. Mine has a spline that can be removed to permit easier glass installation, then the spline is re-inserted to lock it in. It appears to be the same rubber used on pickup camper tops from the era.
1973 VW Type 181 with 616/33-6 powerplant
1962 356B-T6 Cabriolet Rustbucket
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Just got a hardtop Reply with quote

ok thanks for that , will do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Just got a hardtop Reply with quote

ALANSD wrote:
One question: the back oval glass is intact but held in with gorilla tape over the rubber.

I'm curious about this window. I didn't search the galleries, but haven't seen one before.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Just got a hardtop Reply with quote

Well I guess I screwed up saying it was oval. It's the common rounded corner rectangle.
I am hoping this top will fit over my roll bar..Also I don't see any latches for it on the windshield frame...?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Just got a hardtop Reply with quote

It could be that you will need to have the glass resized in order to get it to fit well.

Not pretty (or that bad either) but I used metal plate across the top of the windshield which tie the top to the windshield. I also used other plates to improve the attachment across the back and up the sides.
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Just got a hardtop Reply with quote

Well as I turns out my roll bar is just too big for the hardtop to fit.
It's a darn nice roll bar so I may have to give up the top.
We took th side bars off the top but this roll bar has a kind of peak in the middle and the side bats are in the way too.
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Just got a hardtop Reply with quote

I tried again to set the Hard top on and see what the problem was.

The top itself has support bars built in, the middle on butts up against the roll bar, preventing the top from going up to where it fits correctly.

I could possibly cut out the middle support on the top if that would work, but I don't want to destroy the top in doing so.. Not sure if that could be cut out or not. I will have to examine the top more closely.
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Just got a hardtop Reply with quote

looks like the middle support bar could be cut out with a Dremel. Should not damage the top by doing this. Might try and see what happens. If the section of support comes out if can always be fiberglassed back in.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Just got a hardtop Reply with quote

Another solution is to remove the roll cage and cut and replace the mounts to shorten the leg of the cage so it will fit under the hard top...
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Just got a hardtop Reply with quote

yes I have considered that too, but ours is welded in place.
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Just got a hardtop Reply with quote

I think my next step is to cut out the middle section of the roll bar. I can use a reciprocating saw. I ownder whether to cut it even with the up section or leave a little to weld the straight bar onto when the time comes

The top should slide on then.

All I need is to buy the windshield side latches for the top.
Hope I don't screw up the roll bar too much.

Thanks to our Thing expert friend in KY for advice, and telling me I have a VWoA top as well. Good to know.
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Just got a hardtop Reply with quote

so opinions needed here- what do I know?

a. Cut the roll bar's center bar all the way out..

b. Cut the peaked section out and rejoin the straight sections with new straight bar

c. Cut the roll bar out near the uprights...leaving enough to attach a new roll bar to

d. Have drink and forget the whole thing - visit the refridgerator in the garage
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Just got a hardtop Reply with quote

I am going to cut the center bar out leaving small stubs and attach a new straight bar over them in the Spring. Meanwhile I should be able to slide the top on.

Is the windshield latch for the top the same for soft and hard tops? I have the top side part but no latches on my windshield.
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Just got a hardtop Reply with quote

what do you think about this latch? How is the measurement...

http://www.go2marine.com/product/23354F/sea-dog-anti-rattle-fastener-chrome-plated.html
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Just got a hardtop Reply with quote

ALANSD wrote:
I am going to cut the center bar out leaving small stubs and attach a new straight bar over them in the Spring. Meanwhile I should be able to slide the top on.

Is the windshield latch for the top the same for soft and hard tops? I have the top side part but no latches on my windshield.

Let me check my carcass Thing tomorrow... I may have the windscreen side you seek..
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Just got a hardtop Reply with quote

thanks Joe. Appreciate it.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Just got a hardtop Reply with quote

I have used those marine latches. Much stronger than the Thing latches. The simple way to install is to build a set of flat brackets that allow enough metal to have mounting hole for the latches. and holes where the brackets mount it the car.
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Just got a hardtop Reply with quote

yep I think I got them off an old post from you.. so they don't quite fit without an extra piece of metal? Should be easy to mod. Any chance there is a photo?
I'm a visual learner
Now I gotta cut off the center bar, and get my son to come over and help me lift the top up. There is no way its a one man job, unless you are an NFL Linebacker..
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Just got a hardtop Reply with quote

The latches are the same for the hardtop and soft top.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: