Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any good aftermarket Type 4 pushrod tubes?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Any good aftermarket Type 4 pushrod tubes? Reply with quote

Can anyone here share their experience with installing/running aftermarket Type 4 pushrod tubes in their late bay bus? (P/N 021-109-335C)

I'm looking for something that fits right, doesn't leak/cause leaks, and is made from strong enough metal to do the job well.

Are any aftermarket replacement tubes up to the task?
If so, when/where did you buy them?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Any good aftermarket Type 4 pushrod tubes? Reply with quote

there are two size pushrod tubes for T4. One size is NLA. They were on early T4 motors.

The pushrod tubes I got came from Busdepot. Added Viton seals. Phil (whip618) made a tool to slightly expand the ends to the perfect size and fit. Maybe he could post the dimensions if he sees this, and you can have a copy made by a local machinist.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Any good aftermarket Type 4 pushrod tubes? Reply with quote

Phil calls it a "swageing die"...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Any good aftermarket Type 4 pushrod tubes? Reply with quote

By the nature of your question, and seeing the swaging die, I conclude that properly fitted tubes are not available.

Can we use a larger O-ring? Or is the fit-up so poor that this is not an option, but if so, would the swaging be so excessive it runs the risk of cracking the tube?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Any good aftermarket Type 4 pushrod tubes? Reply with quote

I have a set of NOS tubes and I hope that I kept my trashed originals. I am not sure I follow you on the 2 different sizes. I have never heard about different sizes between the 2.0 motors regardless of the heads....early or late. If you send me one of your tubes I can mic it against my NOS set. There are several engine builders world wide that build type 4 engines. And I mean experts. Granted German NOS may be scarce. If it were me I would just get the German ones. I would call Charles at LN engineering. He owns the type4 store now. If you want a second opinion send Len Hoffman an email and ask him about your 77 heads and the correct tubes that he suggests. Between the 2 of them you will have your answer. What I do know having learned from Raby is to use sealant and the correct Viton orings. How they are installed is equally important. If one gets pinched it's going to leak. The sealant needs to be the correct one...Permatex 56521 is the correct sealant. Hope this helps.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Any good aftermarket Type 4 pushrod tubes? Reply with quote

It has been a few years but the last set of push rod tubes I got from Bus Depot fit very well and did not leak.

You have to use the Viton O-rings and make sure the sharp edges of the tube does not cut the O-ring.

I still use Locktite 565 (sort of liquid teflon) to allow them to flex as they heat up and cool down. Next best would be just oil.
kooper271
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Any good aftermarket Type 4 pushrod tubes? Reply with quote

I like the pushrod tubes I got from aircooled.net

In case you didn't catch it before, the Viton o-rings are important Wink
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Any good aftermarket Type 4 pushrod tubes? Reply with quote

The early style had both ends small and they were in 411's which had these small hole heads. Pretty rare unless you get a really old core head from some rebuilder.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Any good aftermarket Type 4 pushrod tubes? Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
By the nature of your question, and seeing the swaging die, I conclude that properly fitted tubes are not available.

Can we use a larger O-ring? Or is the fit-up so poor that this is not an option, but if so, would the swaging be so excessive it runs the risk of cracking the tube?

The tubes I bought from BusDepot fit fine although I would love to be able to buy some of the things Phil has built. He is almost retired now. His refurbished throttle bodies are perfection as is the taco plate with a spot for a sender that he used to sell. He blueprinted a box of T4 oil pumps for me about 2009. I kept one then sold the others for what I had in them. They lasted about 2 or 3 days once word got out Phil had blueprinted them. He is a very highly respected machinist here.

eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Any good aftermarket Type 4 pushrod tubes? Reply with quote

My application is a GD code 2.0L from what is considered a late '76. The microfiche I use for a part number reference only shows the 021-109-335C tubes for a 2.0L engine used in a bus. Ratwell also confirms this as the part number too. Its that part number that all the aftermarket retailers are selling (plus others for Type 1s).

Thanks SGKent, but if I understand correctly, I don't think the smaller size would apply in my case, so no need to expand the ends of the stock 2.0L part. From what I've seen, Phil does some seriously nice work though and plan to have him rebuild my throttle body.

Hoody - I'll take your advice on those suggested contacts. Thanks kooper271, Randy in Maine for sharing your experiences with those tube suppliers.

EDIT: Just got off the phone with LN Engineering. Confirmed the smaller tube was used in some Porsche and higher-displacement Bugs, not 2.0L buses. The Type 4 store carries the tubes and only one for 2.0L buses.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Any good aftermarket Type 4 pushrod tubes? Reply with quote

I think the smaller pushrod tubes were really for the 411/412 series engines but I would not bet the farm on that. I don't recall any of my buses having that "fluting".

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: