Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Route of the fuel hoses from trunk to engine
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Route of the fuel hoses from trunk to engine Reply with quote

Sorry for the lame question, but not at home today so I have no book at my side. Can someone tell me where the fuel hose comes out of the fuel tank and off to the engine and how the fuel hose routes to the engine. Something tells me through the body somewhere but I am not in front of my Thing to investigate. I want to check all the hoses from the tank to the engine and wondered where to look.

Thanks

tj
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Augie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The outlet for the tank is on the bottom, it goes into a hole in the passenger side of the tunnel, and exits out the back of the tunnel next to the clutch tube.
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Augie wrote:
The outlet for the tank is on the bottom, it goes into a hole in the passenger side of the tunnel, and exits out the back of the tunnel next to the clutch tube.

Is this tube metal and never needs replacing? Or rubber? How would one repace it if inside the tunnel or is it a PITA?

tj
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
suntour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tube that runs through the tunnel is metal and as far as I know doesn’t need to be replaced. (unless something catastrophic happened to it.)

Oh, and replacing that tube would be an unbelievable pain in the ass…
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of metal is it? In theory, one shouldn't have to replace gas tanks either...

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
suntour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Towel Rail wrote:
What kind of metal is it? In theory, one shouldn't have to replace gas tanks either...

I don’t know about your experience with VW gas tanks, but I have had two rot out on the bottom. There is this epoxy putty gas tank repair crap that you can use to plug those pesky rust holes that I have also used but it only lasted so long before it too gave up the ghost.
(wow, talk about a run on sentence… well grammar never was a strong point with me. Oh well.)
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suntour wrote:
Towel Rail wrote:

I don’t know about your experience with VW gas tanks, but I have had two rot out on the bottom. There is this epoxy putty gas tank repair crap that you can use to plug those pesky rust holes that I have also used but it only lasted so long before it too gave up the ghost.
(wow, talk about a run on sentence… well grammar never was a strong point with me. Oh well.)

Hence my question -- do fuel lines ever rust out?

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
radioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"ever" might be too strong a qualifier. I can't recall having heard of the metal line going bad, probably because it is somehat protected by the tunnel and was surely made of metal with a "long life", since it can't be reached. TJ: Do replace all the "rubber" fuel lines with the OEM stuff and size. And use clamps at every connection....from the tank to the carb. Cool
gfw1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they will rust out. Blow line out and pressure test. Mine broke off were it entered tunnel at rear once I moved it around a little bit. Instead of the extreme hassle of replacing I ran a new one with braided stainless fuel line thru the inside along were wiring harness is. Simple hole thru front and crossed over under rear seat exiting above brake line hole.
Spanky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: and the heater fuel line? Reply with quote

could someone add the route of the heater line as well? I'm rebuilding the heater and find a plugged cut line stub down at the heater fuel pump inlet.
vw1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Towel Rail wrote:
suntour wrote:
Towel Rail wrote:

Hence my question -- do fuel lines ever rust out?

luckily i found this when i was replacing my steering damper yesterday, the p.o used this to patch a pin hole on the bottom of the tank.i removed what looked like a piece of old paper ,,,,,guess what gas? poured out .tank is still good ,however i just replaced the damn thing w/a new one
jmstu76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Route of the fuel hoses from trunk to engine Reply with quote

while we are talking about fuel line routing (yes I realize it's a thread from 2011). Is there a fuel sock in the bottom of the tank that needs to be inspected/cleaned/replaced?

'76 Deluxe Sage Green Westy
2258 cc GD case 78mm CW crank, 2.0 H-beam rods 5,325” 22mm pin, JE forged pistons with 15cc dish, JE rings, type 11 clearanced oil pump, CB Eagle 2205 Type-2 “Torque Special” hydraulic cam with matched lifters fed by CB Dual Weber 40 IDF MX with 6” foam air filters, currently 55 idle, 130 main, 200 air correction, 32 mm venturis. 27in General Grabber AT2 All Terrains, Berg Shifter, stock '76 exhaust HPC Ceramic Coated. 11/18/2020
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kenj06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Route of the fuel hoses from trunk to engine Reply with quote

Yes, there is one. see this thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=462965
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Route of the fuel hoses from trunk to engine Reply with quote

Isn't the fuel line through the tunnel copper, or what that only on earlier cars?
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Route of the fuel hoses from trunk to engine Reply with quote

Line in tunnel is steel on Things.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: