Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1954 Euro headlights
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:58 am    Post subject: 1954 Euro headlights Reply with quote

Hi folks,

can't find the thread where it was already answered, sorry.

Have a late 54 Euro oval and it came with its original Hella headlights- at least some parts belong to the car. The buckets appear to be the old style and so are the reflectors (35 M date coded = late 54), lenses are newer ones but already have the correct ones sourced.

I noticed both chrome rings have the bolts on the 5 and 7 o'clock position and two rivets at the bottom, bot only one ring has the arrow over the rivets.
If I remember correctly, this is an early detail, but I don't know when it was dropped. As there were many minor detail changes in October and November of 1954, I was imaging that both the rings were original to the car and they just used what they could find in the factory.
Ready to go to a friend who's dentist and have him grinded that little arrow in the other ring to match them.

Funny note, one of my gearbox halves has the old 52-54 part number and the other side already features the new 9 digit number.

Take care!
Thanks,
Jan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 Euro headlights Reply with quote

Jan,

I have never seen this question asked.

My U.S.-spec Nov '54 has the arrow on its one surviving original, two-rivet ring. The headlight assembly is from July. The arrow was dropped by Hella late in the calendar year.

Transaxles were produced well into 1955 with castings having the old, pre-August 1954 part numbers cast into them.
56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 Euro headlights Reply with quote

Thanks for the response, Jan!

I decided to keep them both but also noticed that the chrome rings have a slightly different shape, the one with the arrow is curved to the inner diameter; the one without the arrow is flat. Both came with Hella and VW ink stamps inside. Should post some pics...

Jan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: