Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

63 beetle map light "lightbulb" ?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skorzeny's G Ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: 63 beetle map light "lightbulb" ? Reply with quote

Can someone help me locate a light bulb for an original map light for a 63 beetle? Its for a friend who has a really nice beetle all original and in very good condition. Only thing he cant locate is a replacement light bulb. Any help pointed in the right direction would be appreciated. tnx
bladerunner80
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 beetle map light "lightbulb" ? Reply with quote

Check out wolfsburg west, I believe what you are looking for in #7 on the list: https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/accessories/accessories/light_bulbs.cfm
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 beetle map light "lightbulb" ? Reply with quote

Are you speaking of the dome light or some accessory map light?

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skorzeny's G Ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: 63 beetle map light "lightbulb" ? Reply with quote

It's an accessory map light. It's near the ash tray. I've never seen one before but this guy I know has it. Said it was stock. I'll see if I can get a picture of it next time I see him.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: 63 beetle map light "lightbulb" ? Reply with quote

Skorzeny's G Ride wrote:
It's an accessory map light. It's near the ash tray. I've never seen one before but this guy I know has it. Said it was stock. I'll see if I can get a picture of it next time I see him.

I doubt it was stock. Maybe an accessory, but not stock.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 beetle map light "lightbulb" ? Reply with quote

Is this it?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/6_61accessories/5.jpg

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 beetle map light "lightbulb" ? Reply with quote

Does he have the old bulb, and if so, does it have any markings on it?
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: 63 beetle map light "lightbulb" ? Reply with quote

Here's a photo of my map light under my ashtray. It's a dome light from a vw bus but looks factory like you say. I also put one in same location in my bus. If this is what he has there are two bulbs in there.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by thomas. on Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:59 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: 63 beetle map light "lightbulb" ? Reply with quote

thomas. wrote:
Here's a photo of my map light under my ashtray. It's a dome light from a vw bus but looks factory like you say. I also put one in same location in my bus. If this is what he has there are two bulbs in there.

Nive VW-based solution. The footwells are so dark, this is a great idea. No metal there on my Type 3, but it gives me some ideas.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: 63 beetle map light "lightbulb" ? Reply with quote

I've had a type 2 dome light under the glovebox in both of my bugs for like 15 years or so. In both cases I put them as close to the glovebox as I could get them. I also changed them out to LED bulbs as soon as such bulbs came down in price and got to a decent amount of lumens output.

Previously in my Baja, I had had some cheap accessory light fixture I had bought at a truck stop, which was a piece of junk and falling apart. I did buy this old SWF accessory interior light fixture off of eBay:

...but I found the cover/lens fit a bit too loose for my tastes. About that time I got a box of misc old parts that included some Bus dome lights and I decided I liked the look and function of them better.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: 63 beetle map light "lightbulb" ? Reply with quote

What's up with the flyswatter?
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 beetle map light "lightbulb" ? Reply with quote

I noticed that, too.

Andy... safety first.... Both hands on the wheel !
Very Happy
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 beetle map light "lightbulb" ? Reply with quote

Oh yeah, that flyswatter.... I hate bees and wasps, and with the ragtop, I tend to get the random one in the car... thus I bought the flyswatter one summer several years ago. That armrest just ended up being it's resting place. I suspect it's probably getting dry-rotted and brittle now.

Who needs two hands on the wheel if you have knees? Razz

hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 beetle map light "lightbulb" ? Reply with quote

I agree with you there- you need two hands free when eating Hamachi with chopsticks- especially if you like to photograph your food at 60mph.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: