Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Serviced my automatic today
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Serviced my automatic today Reply with quote

well I'm in for one.. I've intended and waffled back and forth
but we've a bunch of 010 Automatics in our fleet as well as a few projects in planning..

do note that you can pull the valve body from any 1976-1992 VW/Audi/Porsche in a junk yard (and if spotted likely should pull them).

also I've used the Audi transmission pan & dipstick tube for engine conversions, as the dipstick is on the passenger side of the trans..

save these parts from the crusher..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Serviced my automatic today Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
So these are more for the 84-91vans right? Not the 76-83?

Stuart..I think the 76-83 automatics were technically called the 003..you need to confirm the transmission type..these valve bodies are for a 010 (called an 090 too)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Serviced my automatic today Reply with quote

First gen aircool autos were the 003 I think, 73:75. I think 76-83 were second gen then third gen was the 84-91. Does that sound right?

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Serviced my automatic today Reply with quote

Just got home from the weekend away and found this waiting for me!

Fresh from Germany.......

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: Serviced my automatic today Reply with quote

17 is my limit on Schirberkasten, baby
sciroccojim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Serviced my automatic today Reply with quote

Have my pan off, valve body loose. Before I remove it:

Do I just lower it and maneuver it out and replace or should I be in a specific gear? Any other instructions or is it just R&R?

Have to check to see if the torque spec is in the Bentley...does anyone know whether that's the case or what the spec is for the 6 mm retaining bolts and 8 mm pan bolts?

Thanks.
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: Serviced my automatic today Reply with quote

Probably best to have the transmission in PARK..but it really doesn't matter. You will see the shift linkage runs on some pistons on the valve body inside the case..the valve body drops out but lower the valve body slowly and you can see how the linkage works..the VB drops out easily. There is a big spring and plastic accumulator piston on top of the VB..the piston will usually stick in the transmission and the spring will drop out..watch for it.

The 11 6mm VB 10mm head holding bolts are tightened to 35 INCH POUNDS (4 Nm) and the four transmission 13mm head pan bolts are tightened to 14 FOOT POUNDS (20 Nm) The ATF filter housing phillip screws are tightened to 26 INCH POUNDS (3 Nm) although you can snug those up by hand.

When you install the VB do go around and tighten the 10mm head bolts with you torque wrench several times in a zig zag pattern. Be sure you get them all.

Inspect the accumulator piston by withdrawing it from the transmission case to be sure the rubber seal has not failed or broken. That seal if it is worn/hardened/broken may cause low pressures and odd shift problems. If the seal is fine..reinstall with a slather of ATF or Vaseline on the seal.

VW/Porsche/Audi do not sell the seal separate from the accumulator..although that seal is supplied with most of the aftermarket rebuild kits. Part number 003325405F for the new accumulator piston with seal about $25 from Porsche.
sciroccojim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Serviced my automatic today Reply with quote

Thanks!
sciroccojim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Serviced my automatic today Reply with quote

Just installed mine and took it for a spin.

My old fluid was dark brown - about as dirty as I've seen. Could be original.

Shifts are smooth but decisive. It seems to downshift much more readily, especially between third and second. Kickdown to first seems to work better, too. I'll have to drive it a bit more, but it appears to be more drivable overall. I have a nice hill close to home and it shifted down right away when I let the rpms drop and goosed it, rather than lumbering for a couple of moments.

I'm not a fan of automatics, having owned 5 in the past 28 cars (two Vanagons) but this is a nice trans.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Serviced my automatic today Reply with quote

change it again fairly soon and replace the filter - see what they look like - send the fluid out for an analysis if you want

if all good, you can then move to the normal change cycle
sciroccojim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Serviced my automatic today Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
change it again fairly soon and replace the filter - see what they look like - send the fluid out for an analysis if you want

That's the plan.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: Serviced my automatic today Reply with quote

I gave mine a good cleaning, and replaced the return spring , in case I go to Canada later this week.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Serviced my automatic today Reply with quote

sciroccojim wrote:
Merian wrote:

That's the plan.

Three changes will remove the majority of the old oils.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Serviced my automatic today Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Just got home from the weekend away and found this waiting for me!

Fresh from Germany.......

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dave

Did you ever get this installed?
Curious if the sluggish shifting while cold was cured with the new valve body
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Serviced my automatic today Reply with quote

Ditto. With cool weather, my cold first Drive engagement is slow again.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Serviced my automatic today Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Ditto. With cool weather, my cold first Drive engagement is slow again.

Hello Doug,
This tread below is stating that the torque convertor can drain through the turbine shaft when parked if the check seal is not replaced. This can cause a slow upshift when cold.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
Wildthings wrote:
one just needs to put the selector into gear and then wait about 5-10 seconds and you will feel the tranny begin to load the engine.

Maybe worth a try before replacing the valve body assembly...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: