Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

71 SB Seats wont slide on bushings
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Longmont1302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: 71 SB Seats wont slide on bushings Reply with quote

The seats in my 71 Super Beetle wiggle a lot (they rock on their tracks). This is likely due to the fact that there are no bushings on the seat rails. I got some bushings (mine look like this: http://www.jbugs.com/product/113881213.html) and put them on the rails. Now I can't get the seats to slide over the bushings on the rails.

Next I took the passenger seat back out, took the bushings off, sprayed some silicone in the track on the seat. Now on one side I can get the bushing to slide though the seat track, but not on the other side. The track on the seat doesn't look like it's been squished and it;s all pretty smooth. Any suggestions? Pry it apart? Sand it down?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: 71 SB Seats wont slide on bushings Reply with quote

Its been a while since I did mine, but I recall having to clean the tracks on the seat real well.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: 71 SB Seats wont slide on bushings Reply with quote

Just had the driver seat out on my '71 Super yesterday to do some work on the pedals. My plastic bushings went to VW Heaven decades ago.

We cleaned off the pan seat rails and I applied stick lubricant (looks like a deodorant stick) to the pan rails, works/slides fine. GT1953 may have used aerosol lube on the actual seat part rails.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Chochobeef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: 71 SB Seats wont slide on bushings Reply with quote

The mold is incorrect and is too tight. I was unable to even get the "bushing" to slide down the seat rail with the seat out of the car. You will have to sand the plastic until enough material has been taken off. It also does not hurt to have a clean seat track as well on both sides.

One other bit of info. Instead of silicon spray, use a white lithium paste on both pieces. Clean up the excess that comes out and there should be a sufficient amount of it left for easy sliding.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: 71 SB Seats wont slide on bushings Reply with quote

Chochobeef wrote:
use a white lithium paste on both pieces

Grease is typically the lithium salt of fatty acids (lithium soap). The fatty acid make-up can be chosen (chain length and/or level of hydrogenation) to get soft greases or hard greases. The stick lubricant I mentioned is a firmer lithium soap.

I used this
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Chochobeef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: 71 SB Seats wont slide on bushings Reply with quote

Come on Cuss, you just wanted to post a stick lubricant.

All kidding aside, there are probably many ways to tackle the seat tracks and I'm sure we have all had different experiences with new and old parts.

Wish I could adapt some bearing type tracks, but that's another can-o-worms.
Longmont1302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: 71 SB Seats wont slide on bushings Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for the kind help. I'm embarrassed to say it didn't occur to me to resize the plastic bushings - I'm much more excited about sanding those down than opening the seat channels. I'll also clean the channels some more and try some stick lubricant or white lithium paste, too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 SB Seats wont slide on bushings Reply with quote

Chochobeef wrote:
Come on Cuss, you just wanted to post a stick lubricant.

It lasts a long time. No, the size doesn't increase when it gets action.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: