Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thanks - Veteran's Day
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks - Veteran's Day Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Or on the Samba Very Happy actually I like Larry David and thought this was funny. I’m a vet and when strangers thank me it feels odd. Sometimes I tell them the truth. I was an 18 year old boy that had no idea what he was signing up for. I’m not above milking a free meal out of it though. I’ve got veteran endorsement on drivers license and I get 10% off at Lowe’s Very Happy

I'd have to agree that it feels odd to be thanked for my service, always has during the over twenty years I've been in, and I'm sure it always will. Many that I've known do take advantage of the perks offered such as a free meal on Veterans Day or the like, but the point I was trying to make is that not a one have I known or met would act like the person in the video clip posted earlier.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks - Veteran's Day Reply with quote

There were many more. Too many to list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Presidents_of_the_United_States_by_military_service
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks - Veteran's Day Reply with quote

i have never got a free meal nor do i want any. i can get my own damn meal.

one of the things i hate is handout. i am not a damn cripple - i can work for it.

But..happy Veterans day all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks - Veteran's Day Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
Thank the VA for taking care of them when they come home.

Well, as we speak, the VA is still failing my brothers and sisters. I see it every time I visit the GLA (Greater Los Angeles) VA.

NCO's Lead The Way
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks - Veteran's Day Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:

one of the things i hate is handout. i am not a damn cripple - i can work for it.

I too can get my own meal but during the last couple of years have transported a couple of homeless vet's to Denny's for a free Grand Slam meal.

Happy Veterans Day, NCO's Lead The Way!
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks - Veteran's Day Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:

Village inn, Denny's, krispy kreme, Dunkin' Donuts, bob Evans, Olive Garden,Red lobster, Ruby Tuesday, Golden Corral...... this is only a partial list,
There are many many others......putting my shoes on now....

As the old timers used to say "don't look a gift horse in the mouth"
I'll be eating well today Very Happy Mmmmmm thank you for your service Very Happy

***edit 11/12/17 ***. Started with Krispy kreme free coffee and a donut then on to village Inn oatmeal and a bacon sandwich. Lunch Applebee’s cheeseburger fries, dinner Olive Garden chicken parmigiana with salad. Starbucks coffee all day long free. Along the way met other vets. During evening meal met a vet that served aboard my ship. What a great day. Thanks America for remembering the veterans today. Very Happy oh almost forgot free haircut regularly priced at 24.00 sport clips, yes indeed a great day Very Happy
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks - Veteran's Day Reply with quote

Did 20 years. That was then, this is now. Best of times, worst of times.
Whatever.

Happy Veteran's Day.
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks - Veteran's Day Reply with quote

Don't be a douche. We thank you all out of courtesy! Freedom has a huge price tag! Any and all young bucks that sign up for the military or law enforcement have no Idea what they are getting into. But for all those that take pride (whether you get benefits or not) Thanks!

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks - Veteran's Day Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:

Business or people offering a meal to Vets on Veterans Day is not a handout.
Walking into a business, and say'n I'm a Vet give me something free, that's a hand out.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks - Veteran's Day Reply with quote

I was in the Navy Reserve for 8 years. I did my job well and have an Honorable Discharge. I really did **nothing** - at least in comparison to many folks who served.
In the past when I was at some public affair and they asked for "..all who served or who have served to stand and be recognized.." I would never stand. Again, I did **nothing** during my time, why recognize me?
A friend finally convinced me to stand. He said "..whatever you did (or did not) during your time, why not give others the opportunity to thank you. It makes them happy to do so."
So last Sunday at Church I stood for the first time. I am glad I did.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks - Veteran's Day Reply with quote

OB Bus -

Signing on the dotted line makes you eligible for any task that may come along and at that point, you don't have a choice. You were fortunate (or not, depending on your perspective) to have done "nothing."

Putting yourself at risk for anything that comes along is commendable. There are many, many people that won't do it for a variety of reasons.

So voluntarily joining and putting yourself at potential risk is honorable and should be recognized.
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks - Veteran's Day Reply with quote

rockerarm wrote:
kawfee wrote:
Thank the VA for taking care of them when they come home.

Well, as we speak, the VA is still failing my brothers and sisters. I see it every time I visit the GLA (Greater Los Angeles) VA.

NCO's Lead The Way

They gave my father 100% disability (Agent Orange). He goes in there daily/weekly. The VA isn't perfect but it's better than nothing.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks - Veteran's Day Reply with quote

bigdog1962 wrote:
OB Bus -

Signing on the dotted line makes you eligible for any task that may come along and at that point, you don't have a choice. You were fortunate (or not, depending on your perspective) to have done "nothing."
Putting yourself at risk for anything that comes along is commendable. There are many, many people that won't do it for a variety of reasons.
So voluntarily joining and putting yourself at potential risk is honorable and should be recognized.

Thank you for the kind words but I am no Saint. When I was 19 there was this little thing still in place called "The Draft". There was also this active war going on in South East Asia. I was in school but was not a diligent student so I lost my draft deferment. And my lottery number was 40. (Old guys will remember this.) My choices were as follows: 1. Get drafted and potentially spend time walking in rice paddies carrying an M-16 while other people were trying to make you dead. Or 2. Do something else. The something else was join the Navy. At 19 going into the service was the best thing I could have done. Helped me form my goals for the future. Helped me learn how to operate in a large bureaucracy. I still think we should have some form of National Service.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks - Veteran's Day Reply with quote

In reality, it doesn't matter if you volunteered or were voluntold.

You served. You deserve to be recognized.
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks - Veteran's Day Reply with quote

Well, maybe next year i will eat all day too. Very Happy

I feel like I am eating someone else's meal who cannot walk to the chow line coz his legs got blown up. Someone deserves my seat at the restaurant better.

is all..
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks - Veteran's Day Reply with quote

I think the food is the lure but in typical fashion once you get all these guys together they start talking. Some of the guys may need help in ways which are not addressed by the system. We collect items to give older and disabled vets, several weeks ago some guys painted a disabled vets house. There is no mechanism within the system to cover needs like this, that's real and genuine. There's a place in town called the coffee bunker and it operates off donations. It's free to veterans who need to network with other vets transitioning back to civilian life. Some are struggling with PTSD and or they need help dealing with VA bureaucracy, it helps.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks - Veteran's Day Reply with quote

This year we are going to give a heads up on where to go if you are a veteran to receive a cup of coffee or maybe just say hello to another vet if you see them.

Starbucks free coffee
Applebee’s free entree
IHOP free breakfast
Krispy Kreme free donut and coffee
Buffaloe’s wild wings free wings and fries
Texas Roadhouse 10 lunch offers and drink
Olive Garden free dinner
On the border. Free dinner
7-11 free coffee
Dunkin’ Donuts free donut
Golden Corral free dinner
Red Robin free burger and bottomless steak fries

There are many others. Even if you don’t want to take advantage of the free stuff thank a vet and try to be a positive role model. The WW2 guys are almost all gone, my dad was in basic training when it ended in 1945 but he still gets a fist bump at young age of 92. I served back in 70s based out of San Diego and Long Beach California.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks - Veteran's Day Reply with quote

My dad in the army Air Corps in WW2 (Air Force). All we know is that he did make it to continental Europe, he never talked about his experiences, common.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

All did their part. And that includes women doing work at the factories while the men were in the armed services.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks - Veteran's Day Reply with quote

During very early 70s my best friends dad was a positive role model for us kids. He fought in Battle of the Bulge, I remember him being kind of tough on us but he was fair. He met and married a German girl named Hilda, of course Hilda spoke German which we thought was neat. Hilda was very glad to live in America. Good people they live in my memories. I remember one time he turned off Hogan’s Heroes without comment. Thanks Sgt. Hall.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks - Veteran's Day Reply with quote

Why just now should veterans get a free cup of whatever?, it should be any day of the year.

It takes a special kind of person to sign up and jump into harm's way for the betterment of all, it's great that we celebrate it once a year, but why not every single day we enjoy the freedom they went and fought for us to have?

I'll be at the local Cenotaph tomorrow patting backs and shaking hands, you should too.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: