Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Confused about years of Things
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Confused about years of Things Reply with quote

I’ve owned every type of ACVW; T1, (dozen or so bugs, couple/few KGs), T2, (68 Single cab) currently a 68 Square (after selling my 63 Notch), but never a 181. So I’ve been casually, sorta, half-a$$ looking for a reasonably priced Thing, off and on for a few months.

I’ve seen ads for everything from 1970 -1978 Things, but I always thought Things were only made in 73-74. What’s that about? Am I mistaken about the years they were mfg’d?
It seems that 73 Things are generally more expensive. It’s not like the diff between a split vs. bay window bus, but it seems that way. Why?
In the same vein, is there something that makes one more desirable than the other?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Confused Reply with quote

Things (aka type181's) were only officially imported into the US from Mexico in '73 and '74. They were manufactured and available elsewhere before '73 and after '74. I think that I read recently that the last year of manufacture was 1980.

The difference between a '73 and a '74 is that the '73's had a gas fired heater under the hood whereas the '74 had the usual heater boxes on the exhaust like other type 1's.

In '74 you could also buy the Acapulco version and the avocado green color.

Hope this helps...I'm sure there's more to add but these are some of the basic differences.
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Confused Reply with quote

Here is a good write up on the differences: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=562365&highlight=hamster

For me, the 73 is better looking due to the rear vents. This is sexy Razz
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The 74, not so much Rolling Eyes

So there is always surgery Cool
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Confused Reply with quote

181's (aka Safari, Thing Trekker, etc) were a "stop-gap" military vehicle made from 1968 to I think 1980. Some were made in Germany and most in Mexico. They were heavily used by NATO countries through the 90's. There probably were some made elsewhere too. A "demilled" (civilian) model was generally imported to the US in 73 and 74 to the tune of about 24,000 units brought in. Kinda the first SUV if you will, because dune buggys were so popular. There were some 75's but I've heard they are left over 74's. After 74 they were declared "unsafe" by the Feds...I think Ralph Nader was involved, sort of like the Corvair. As to desirability, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
AngelDeVille
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Confused Reply with quote

Shoyrtt wrote:
Here is a good write up on the differences: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=562365&highlight=hamster

Huh...

My '73 doesn't have the rear vents, mine is solid, but I really love the look of the scoops on the '74. I was thinking of adding them if I could find a set.

Suck it up, Buttercup!
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Confused Reply with quote

Shoyrtt wrote:

100% agree. Smile
Thanks for the link.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Confused about years of Things Reply with quote

When Things were sold new in 1973-4, they were a little expensive; about 3000 bucks. That was close to a grand more than a Beetle, or about the same price as a low end Mustang, or an F-150 pickup truck.

1973 Things were better equipped than the '74's with the BN-4 gas heater. Sales of '73 Things underperformed VW's sales expectations, so they looked for ways to lower the retail price.
Deleting the expensive BN-4 heater in favor of heat exchangers is an example.

When converting Things to use the heat exchanger heating and defrost system similar to that on Beetles, the VW engineers found the necessity to reduce the amount of dust drawn into the engine compartment (and therefore blown into the cabin through the heat exchangers) by the cooling fan.
That is the purpose of the air intake boxes with their top oriented vents.

Are the intake boxes sexy? You bet they are (even in stock form)!

Another obvious change was to re-locate the mirrors to the body, rather than to the front doors. Mounting the mirrors to the doors seems a little silly on a vehicle with removable doors, but go figure.

As to the Thing's demise, it was the strange bedfellows Ralph Nader and Lee Iococca who's political pressure caused the Thing to be re-classified as a passenger car, subjecting it to safety regulations that could never be met.
Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Confused about years of Things Reply with quote

I guess it is a matter of what you like here is my 73 that I added the 74 air intakes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Confused about years of Things Reply with quote

I think the '73s may be to some more desirable than the '74s for one reason- they're older. With some exceptions of course- real VW people tend to be drawn to the earliest example of their target model.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Confused Reply with quote

AngelDeVille wrote:

Huh...

My '73 doesn't have the rear vents, mine is solid, but I really love the look of the scoops on the '74. I was thinking of adding them if I could find a set.

How does your engine get cooling air?

I'd be interested in knowing what the first 3 digits of your VIN are?
AngelDeVille
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Confused Reply with quote

Semper_Dad wrote:
AngelDeVille wrote:

Huh...

How does your engine get cooling air?

I'd be interested in knowing what the first 3 digits of your VIN are?

She's a 183

Suck it up, Buttercup!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Confused about years of Things Reply with quote

When I got my first '73 I lived on a long dirt road and the engine got plain filthy from all the dust being kicked up by the tires and drawn into the engine compartment, so for $25 I bought a set of '74 intake air ducts and gaskets from VW and installed them. This kept the engine compartment much cleaner. I later installed Beetle heater boxes and added my own custom heater ducting. The result was I had double the amount of cabin heat as most other Thing owners did.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Confused about years of Things Reply with quote

When I bought my Thing, I didn't have a super strong preference between '73 and '74 and would have certainly purchased a '74 if a rust-free example for a similar price had shown up.

But I was hopeful for a '73 primarily because I liked the idea of a gas heater, and I'm very glad I have it!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Confused about years of Things Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
I think the '73s may be to some more desirable than the '74s for one reason- they're older. With some exceptions of course- real VW people tend to be drawn to the earliest example of their target model.

I guess since I exclusively drive boxer powered VW automobiles and tend to prefer later more reliable models with better lighting and amenities I am out as a real VW person. The real VW people must be the ones who drive Jap rigs to work every day while their really cool '59 sits on a trailer hidden under a tarp and if things go well will see the sun three days next year. Wink
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Confused about years of Things Reply with quote

Thanks all for the comments, links & tips. All very enlightening (I didn’t know how much I didn’t know! Confused ), and makes me want one even more. Dancing
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Confused Reply with quote

AngelDeVille wrote:

Huh...

How is possible to get fresh air if they are solid????

How about a close up picture of both the inside and outside of your solid "vent"?

Edit: Maybe someone welded them up after the turbo engine was installed???
AngelDeVille
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Confused Reply with quote

Shoyrtt wrote:
AngelDeVille wrote:

Huh...

How is possible to get fresh air if they are solid????

How about a close up picture of both the inside and outside of your solid "vent"?

Edit: Maybe someone welded them up after the turbo engine was installed???

Ok guys, I win the "Dumbarse New 181 Owner of the Year" award....

In my defense I am 6'2" and i have had it for just a few days...

So, I was kneeling low on the floor to take pictures of my "solid" rear panels, when at that angle the vents suddenly appeared...

Yeah I feel kinda stupid right about now...

But I still think the side air scoops look cool....

Suck it up, Buttercup!
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Confused about years of Things Reply with quote

I have read online in unsubstantiated reports the Type 181 was made through 1983. I don't remember if that was supposedly at the German factory or the Mexican factory. Since I have never seen a Type 181 in person or in a pic with its VIN newer than 1980, I am tending to disbelieve it.

The Type 181 was originally made for NATO. It was replaced for NATO by the Iltis (Type 183) in 1978, but the German factory would have a run of Type 181's from time to time until at least 1980. When they did, they sometimes made some civilian examples as well -- with trailing arms and Type 2 tail lights.

NATO discontinued purchasing the Iltis in 1981. Bombardier of Canada got the go-ahead to make the Iltis after that. VW still had small runs of the Iltis 1986-88, even including a diesel engine towards the end.

The newest Type 181 I ever saw was a 1980 on the German eBay. It was one-owner, black with white top and interior, and pristine. The front seats either had head rests or were highbacks (don't remember), totally factory. There was no mention of a heater and no pic of the front trunk. I made a bid on it as high as I could go, but I was beat soundly.

I see far more Mexican 181's newer than a '74 but the newest I ever saw was a '78 (a few of those).

As for preference between the '73 and the '74 ... I like the '73 for the slats (no muffs) and the gas heater; I like the '74 for the side mirror placement and the Avocado Green. I ended up getting an Acapulco Rolling Eyes Laughing
eifelknipser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Confused about years of Things Reply with quote

Correct, the VW 181 was built up to 1980 - that´s what even the Volkswagen Classic web page states -> http://www.volkswagen-classic.de/modelle/181 (sorry as it´s in german).
Eric Goodman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Confused about years of Things Reply with quote

Interesting information... The VW Thing (Type 181) Registry has been tracking production numbers and VIN's. We have Type 181's starting in 1969-1980 on our list. We have VIN's through 1982 (and sales through 1983). Production stopped in 1980 at the factory but the VIN'S indicate that Type 181's were still assembled after 1980 from Kits. We know Kits were used to assemble Type 181's in other countries and by the Military. Type 181's were made in Mexico in the later years and shipped to Europe in Kits. We have also heard that Type 181's were made from all the "parts" left after the factory closed and issued VINS. All of the Type 181 sold after 1980 were to the Military. You can see the Registry list on our website and the VIN's for each Year.

VIN's for 1980 started with 18Axxxxxxx, 1981 was 18Bxxxxxxx and 1982 was 18Cxxxxxxx. Its believed that VW stated sales through 1983, because some of the 1982 Type 181's were sold in 1983.

Here is a link to our webiste with the Registry List: www.vwthingregistry.com
www.Facebook.com/vwthingregistry
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: