Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Body fit problems
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buzzfagan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Body fit problems Reply with quote

Any ideas on what to do with a problem I encountered on my re-build?? When I placed my Manx style fiberglass body on my chassis since it had been in the elements and apart for so long there are some pretty big gaps in some spots between the bottom of the fiberglass and the chassis/frame/pan. I am starting to prep it for painting and worried that if I get it all painted and then try to install it and put pressure on the frame by screwing it down where the gaps are I am going to run into problems of the fiberglass and /or paint cracking or getting stress cracks and issues?????
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gtrplyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Body fit problems Reply with quote

You might try a little heat, clamps, and patience. There have been other posts on here about this very subject. Do a little searching and good luck.
P.S. I am having the same problem.
Buzzfagan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Body fit problems Reply with quote

Yeah I remember seeing some posts awhile back but I can't seem to find them. Been searching all afternoon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Body fit problems Reply with quote

Here's one.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=650936&highlight=fitment

I'd add:

Go to the hardware store and get some cheap 2x4s. Cut them to the lengths required to keep the body true, using them either as a jig to attach the body to or as wedges on the interior surfaces to hold the body in the correct position. Do this of course well in advance of any paint prep work.

If you live somewhere that is warm or have space you can keep the body warm, the body will likely "relax" into the position you require rather quickly, slower if it's cold.

I should tell you that I tried doing all that first, and while I had success with getting the attachment lips to fit the dimensions of the pan, the lips were still pigeon toed, not flush to the pan attachment sill, so ultimately I ended up cutting them off and re-clocking them.

I also made aluminum sill plates to spread out the pressure from each individual bolt to apply pressure more generally on the attachment lip. Pics in my gallery if you'd like to look
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Body fit problems Reply with quote

Fit the body before painting. Id also talk to your painter about a flex additive if your body is going to flex that much that you are worrying about cracking.
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: