Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Door Speaker Upgrade | In Progress
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
agon.parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Door Speaker Upgrade | In Progress Reply with quote

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Hello All,

I'm in the process of another speaker project (the other one is here). I am designing a door speaker assembly that matches the stock appearance, but allows for the installation of modern speakers. Personally, I would install a 4" speaker, however, I have read around The Samba quite a bit and found that 4" - 6" speakers to be the most mentioned. The design would be a two-part assembly: face plate and mounting plate (in 4", 5" and 6" sizes).

Let me know your thoughts.

FREEBIES: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkqzgREEtE9Aj7poRLxLuW-oGORuiQ?e=eSKThT
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Door Speaker Upgrade | In Progress Reply with quote

Very interested in this for the wife wants me to replace the stock speakers and the old Pioneer stereo with something that will put out a little more umph!! Or was she referring to me Embarassed

Craig
agon.parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Door Speaker Upgrade | In Progress Reply with quote

cmayna wrote:
Very interested in this for the wife wants me to replace the stock speakers and the old Pioneer stereo with something that will put out a little more umph!! Or was she referring to me Embarassed

Awesome! Are you interested in keeping the stock look, or just an easy speaker upgrade?

cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Door Speaker Upgrade | In Progress Reply with quote

Considering installing up to 6.5" speakers where the current stock door speakers are. Only real concern is if the matching grill will fit without touching the dash.

Oh and need to consider a new stereo unit as well. The rig still has it's original Pioneer tape deck. LOL

Craig

Last edited by cmayna on Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Door Speaker Upgrade | In Progress Reply with quote

Considering installing up to 6.5" speakers BELOW where the current stock door speakers are, which should get 4" speakers. This will avoid a hug hassle.

Tweeters should be mounted at the lower corner of the A-pillar and windshield in a small, molded enclosure that fits into that corner and is the right size for the tweeter and its acoustic alignment. Done right, this could easily be a product to sell.

Is your post "licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License" Question
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Door Speaker Upgrade | In Progress Reply with quote

Merian wrote:

Is your post "licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License" Question

If you are talking to me then of course I am willing to share everything I do to my westy. If I am not allowed to participate in this thread due to not being qualified due to not having a license, please remove my replies.

Craig
agon.parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Door Speaker Upgrade | In Progress Reply with quote

Merian wrote:

No, the "post" is not what's licensed. The "work" that will be posted will be, i.e., the door speaker upgrade design.

cmayna wrote:
If you are talking to me then of course I am willing to share everything I do to my westy. If I am not allowed to participate in this thread due to not being qualified due to not having a license, please remove my replies.

Participation is always welcome; sharing is caring. Sharing this work under the license listed keeps my work safe against snakes living in the mentality of the past.

Last edited by agon.parts on Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
agon.parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Door Speaker Upgrade | In Progress Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
Tweeters should be mounted at the lower corner of the A-pillar and windshield in a small, molded enclosure that fits into that corner and is the right size for the tweeter and its acoustic alignment. Done right, this could easily be a product to sell.

Regarding tweeters, would you rather have them be a separate item versus having it integrated into a speaker assembly?

raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Door Speaker Upgrade | In Progress Reply with quote

Almost off topic but I need to know... So, is this license thing some sort of non enforceable free substitute for a patent? I read the link but am still unclear what that is supposed to do for the "holder" of the license. What did that cost? Are you able to cease and desist someone with that license?
-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
agon.parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Door Speaker Upgrade | In Progress Reply with quote

raoul mitgong wrote:
Almost off topic but I need to know... So, is this license thing some sort of non enforceable free substitute for a patent? I read the link but am still unclear what that is supposed to do for the "holder" of the license. What did that cost? Are you able to cease and desist someone with that license?
-d

It is available for free, however, many people (myself included), donate to help the cause.

This is from their website: Creative Commons helps you legally share your knowledge and creativity to build a more equitable, accessible, and innovative world. We unlock the full potential of the internet to drive a new era of development, growth and productivity.

Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Door Speaker Upgrade | In Progress Reply with quote

separate high-quality tweeters, like Focals

BTW, you can use a molding compound to get the outer shape right, so it will fit into the windshield corners

I looked into this and talked to a local art store - they said the compounds they stock would not be strong enough, but that an epoxy based compound should work just fine

or the low strength stuff could be used to feed into a digitizer for a 3D printer to make the tweeter boxes
agon.parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Door Speaker Upgrade | In Progress Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
separate high-quality tweeters, like Focals

BTW, you can use a molding compound to get the outer shape right, so it will fit into the windshield corners

I looked into this and talked to a local art store - they said the compounds they stock would not be strong enough, but that an epoxy based compound should work just fine

or the low strength stuff could be used to feed into a digitizer for a 3D printer to make the tweeter boxes

Would you mind posting the tweeters you're talking about? It sounds like a interesting concept that can definitely be done. I may have to branch off a new topic in the future.

Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Door Speaker Upgrade | In Progress Reply with quote

http://www.focal.com/usa/en/132-tweeters
agon.parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Door Speaker Upgrade | In Progress Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
http://www.focal.com/usa/en/132-tweeters

Cool, thanks. I'll keep these in mind. I'll have to find its exact specifications.

raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Door Speaker Upgrade | In Progress Reply with quote

forrest.whitmore wrote:
raoul mitgong wrote:
-d

It is available for free, however, many people (myself included), donate to help the cause.

This is from their website: Creative Commons helps you legally share your knowledge and creativity to build a more equitable, accessible, and innovative world. We unlock the full potential of the internet to drive a new era of development, growth and productivity.

So the purpose is to share, not protect? Admirable. I was thrown because of the statement about "non-commercial use only". I would just advise anyone looking to protect their inventions that this licence is more of a polite request that anything enforceable (imho). I have US patents that cost a lot and are barely enforceable (due to cost mostly) in the US. Unfortunately, most companies don't care about bad karma. I know this next part is going to sound snarky, not my intent, like the idea of sharing, but- How would one go about illegally sharing their knowledge and creativity?

-d
agon.parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Door Speaker Upgrade | In Progress Reply with quote

raoul mitgong wrote:

So the purpose is to share, not protect? Admirable. I was thrown because of the statement about "non-commercial use only". I would just advise anyone looking to protect their inventions that this licence is more of a polite request that anything enforceable (imho). I have US patents that cost a lot and are barely enforceable (due to cost mostly) in the US. Unfortunately, most companies don't care about bad karma. I know this next part is going to sound snarky, not my intent, like the idea of sharing, but- How would one go about illegally sharing their knowledge and creativity?

-d

The purpose of the license can venture from varying levels of sharing <-----------------> protection depending on what the licensee sees fit. Creative Commons licenses are an attempt to look past the betterment of an individual, and instead focus on the progression of society, whether it be through science, technology, design, art, etc.

Last edited by agon.parts on Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Door Speaker Upgrade | In Progress Reply with quote

I put in the JL Audio 3-way ovals:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

For sure it is not ideal, I had to cut metal and part of the speaker is obscured. But it sounds adequately great for me, mostly because the tweeters are fully exposed. The speaker cones are a tough plastic, so I just left off the covers. The reason I put the speakers up top was because down below is occupied by the power window motor.
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Door Speaker Upgrade | In Progress Reply with quote

Even the 4" is partially covered by the dash. Certainly one of those head scratchers from a design point of view. The 3D modeling from a decade later would have prevented that issue.
Crank and power window? I like the redundancy. Hybrid window?
-d
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Door Speaker Upgrade | In Progress Reply with quote

Sharp eyes LOL. No, I put electric window in the passenger side because I am disabled and can’t roll it up from the driver’s seat. Driver’s side is still crank-up, but that could change any time.
agon.parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Door Speaker Upgrade | In Progress Reply with quote

UPDATE:
I got the door speaker housing designed, but I wanted to see which speakers (3.5" - 5") you were planning on using so I can check the average mounting locations. I was planning on using some http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Speakers/Special-Application/TS-A878.

I also would like to get around doing the independent tweeters at some point, but most speakers in the the 3.5" - 5" range already come with tweeters. So we'll see.

Let me know your thoughts.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: