Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What Axle Boots?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: What Axle Boots? Reply with quote

Should I use the CIP1 split "German made" ones...
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C24%2D111%2D598%2D021%2DA
Or Wolfsburg West...
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111501153A

I hear good things about WW, but CIP1 is German made.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Hokie87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What Axle Boots? Reply with quote

The description on the WW site says they are also German. I used the WW without problems so far (1 year).
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What Axle Boots? Reply with quote

Allright so they are both German so they are most likely the same?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What Axle Boots? Reply with quote

I'd say equally important or more so is the installation technique: not overtightening, lining up the split correctly, taking up the stress before tightening the end clamp, etc.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What Axle Boots? Reply with quote

The split is set up at 2-3 o'clock right?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What Axle Boots? Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
The split is set up at 2-3 o'clock right?

2-10 it really doesn't make a difference. Just not vertical horizontal or the split at the bottom. Of course someone will chime in and say 2 is the correct way and then another will say 10 is correct. They just need to flex without pulling the boot from the trans due to incorrect installation.
The comment regarding taking the stress off the boot is correct. Also when you tighten the clamps on the axles make sure to push the boot about a 1/2" toward the trans. That too will help relieve stress on the boots.
Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What Axle Boots? Reply with quote

Allright so, either is good, 2-10 (as long as it isn't too center or on the bottom center), and move it in a half inch toward the trans. Got it!
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What Axle Boots? Reply with quote

One last question... the WW made by WW floor seal or the CIP1 German one.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What Axle Boots? Reply with quote

Hokie87 wrote:
The description on the WW site says they are also German. I used the WW without problems so far (1 year).

The WW ones are German, I just bought a pair about 2 weeks ago
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: What Axle Boots? Reply with quote

I'm not sure what options there are for split boots these days. What brands are you guys seeing for sale? I think I have like 3 of them in the basement, all FEBI. The Febis are "OK" but I've always thought they were bit soft/thin on their rubber. I remember one other brand, I think TeGuFa??, that were thicker/beefier overall, but I also remember they were more prone to dry-rot/cracking.

I put the stock style Brazil/Orion brand, non-split boots on my 62 a few years ago at the same time that I put in new side gears and fulcrum plates. Last year at some point I realized that I didn't set one of them up properly when I pinched the clamps, and that one was slightly twisted, and had worn a small hole near the top of the boot. Brick wall I don't drive the car a lot and it really doesn't leak so I left it for the time being. I 've actually been thinking about trying a tire patch on the spot, rather than go back to a split boot.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: What Axle Boots? Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
One last question... the WW made by WW floor seal or the CIP1 German one.

I'd get the WW. You'll have to punch the holes in it. I made a punch out of an aluminum piece of scrap pipe but they sell the punch's for not much money. I bought a rubber steering coupler that was supposed to be German and paid the higher amount from cip. It wasn't. Unfortunately I didn't check or use it for 6 months after purchase. If you look at the ad it says "German equivalent".
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: What Axle Boots? Reply with quote

Both WW it is then. Thanks guys!
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: What Axle Boots? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Hokie87 wrote:

The WW ones are German, I just bought a pair about 2 weeks ago

The WW ones are: Febi
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: What Axle Boots? Reply with quote

Okay, still Febi then. WW is where I got the last set or two from a few years ago, and they were Febi.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: What Axle Boots? Reply with quote

I've been running a set of the Febi boots from WW on my '60 for close to four years now, no leaks and they're holding up very well.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: What Axle Boots? Reply with quote

I've never heard of febi, are they good?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What Axle Boots? Reply with quote

"That's a Bingo" ! ... Good German stuff.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What Axle Boots? Reply with quote

Oh good, I was hoping it wasn't some Brazilian garbage Very Happy . WW it is.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What Axle Boots? Reply with quote

They are allied with Bilstein, the shock absorber company and they make some steering/suspension parts.

My main complaint is the damn pinch clamps they come with. On split boots I find it much easier to use screw clamps, so in the past I've always re-used them if that was what was on the car before rather than use the pinch style.

They haven't changed their rubber moulds in years - they still say Volkswagen on one side and Made in West Germany on the other.

Here's a photo I just took of what you get and detail of the sealing edges:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What Axle Boots? Reply with quote

Those look great! Mine has split ones that are torn, I'll see what clamps they have.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: