Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How often do you add coolant?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject: How often do you add coolant? Reply with quote

It seems every couple of weeks I need to add a couple ounces of coolant to keep the overflow tank near "max." No puddles, no drips. No air appears to get in, even fixing two heater hose leaks.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: How often do you add coolant? Reply with quote

Consider tossing in one or two bottles of Subaru blue coolant conditioner.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: How often do you add coolant? Reply with quote

Get a coolant pressure tester on the expansion tank, pump it up, find the leaks.
Way prior to dumping the blue goo into the system.

The only reason to add xoolant, you have a leak.
Find & repair it.
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: How often do you add coolant? Reply with quote

On a properly operating coolant system the overflow tank is not needed. Look at pretty much all new cars.. they don't have them. Check the pressure cap on the expansion tank first. Fill the expansion tank to the line when cold and monitor its level. That is what is important.
drumbum68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: How often do you add coolant? Reply with quote

Pull your expansion tank and check for leak at bottom seam.
Bills85Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: How often do you add coolant? Reply with quote

I had a similar issue which I finally determined to be a blown head gasket that was just enough to lose a very small amount of coolant into cylinder #3. The tell tale was misfire on #3 cold start and hydrocarbons in the coolant. Once it warmed up, it was fine.

I had to add a small amount of coolant to the overflow every few weeks.
Engine Conversion Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612144&highlight=
85 Doka L345 Grey - 1.9L
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: