Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Auto trans kickdown adjustment and worn linkage
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Auto trans kickdown adjustment and worn linkage Reply with quote

Mod edit: Just a note, this thread covers adjusting the throttle cable, accelerator rod and kickdown for both stock engines and transplants.
The difference is that the stock 1.9 and 2.1 engines need to be aware of not only proper kick down adjustment but also proper wide open throttle timing and high speed TPS operation.

Hey all,
So I've been having an issue where the transmission kicks down prematurely, which is annoying and sometimes frightening (when you all of a sudden redline). I've read through some threads on here and the adjustment procedure in the Bentley and am guessing the cable from the pedal to the trans is too tight. I'm going to try to adjust that today, if possible.

My question though is, isn't the governor supposed to prevent the trans from downshifting at high RPMs or at least upshift to 3rd once it realizes it is over-reving? I've had it downshift to 2nd at 65MPH. I was also on the interstate with cruise control at 68 and started going up a small incline and it dropped to 2nd and started almost bucking until I turned off CC and slowed down. Not exactly a relaxing drive.

Anyway, that's it - just wondering. Thanks!
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Auto trans kickdown and governor question Reply with quote

If the kick down rod isn't adjusted properly on the TB arm, this would most certainly cause incorrect down shift points.

If the pivot on the side of the trans is frozen, it also will cause this problem.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto trans kickdown and governor question Reply with quote

agree with TK
you set the length of the solid (sprung) rod from the trans relay lever to the TB at the TB.
undo the throttle cable at the base of the pedal 1st.
then once you've set the length of the (sprung) rod you take the slack out of the cable at the pedal pivot.

you can dial it in a little to suit by trying some different lengths on the (sprung) rod. this in effect sets the baseline for the AT relay lever "home" position.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Auto trans kickdown and governor question Reply with quote

I know this is a late update to this thread, but I did adjust the kickdown via the rod from the trans to the TB and the cable to the pedal. I just did a 800 mile drive and still had it downshifting to 2nd way too early so it seems I may need to try to adjust it again, but I still had some questions.

I read in this thread ( https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0 ) that 2nd gear in the auto is limited to 55MPH and the governor will automatically upshift to 3rd regardless of throttle position, and also that it won't allow downshift to 2nd when above 55MPH.

That's not the case with my transmission. It will downshift to 2nd at 60MPH and won't upshift again unless I take my foot completely off the gas. So could that still be an adjustment issue or could it also be an issue with the governor? I did another minor adjustment at the pedal (added some slack) before this recent drive, but it didn't make a significant difference. It also seems to kick down sooner when it's hot (driving for a couple of hours).

Unfortunately I don't have the van with me right now to adjust, and it may be a few weeks before I see it again and can attempt to adjust it (it's currently being shipped to Colombia).
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Auto trans kickdown and governor question Reply with quote

Sounds like a Valve body issue, or some crap trapped somewhere Embarassed
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto trans kickdown and governor question Reply with quote

Well, I hope there's no crap trapped in there. I recently did a fluid change, along with the filter/paper gasket. I noticed a little bit of stuff in the filter, but not much. It was the first time changing the filter since getting this rebuilt unit about 35k miles ago, but I figured any "glitter" in the filter was probably from the initial break-in.

I'll have to do some research on valve body issues and what I can do about that once I get the van back.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto trans kickdown and governor question Reply with quote

Have you pulled the governor and looked at it? A previous owner may have decided to shave the weights a bit to up the shift points.
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Auto trans kickdown and governor question Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Have you pulled the governor and looked at it? A previous owner may have decided to shave the weights a bit to up the shift points.

Nope, haven't looked at it yet. I'm not sure I'd know what to look for. I got the trans from German Transaxle less than two years ago, so I would assume that wouldn't be the case but who knows. Maybe I'll pop the cover when I get it back and do a visual.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Auto trans kickdown and governor question Reply with quote

This is the info on shaving Vanagon governors:

http://my.tbaytel.net/guskers/trans.pdf

There's also a Youtube video out there, but it's totally useless.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Auto trans kickdown and governor question Reply with quote

FWIW, I shaved the governor on my '91 when I did the Subaru swap, never could get the tranny to shift all that well afterwards. I eventually got hold of an unshaved governor, installed it, and adjusted the linkage a bit and was much more pleased with the overall performance of the box.
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto trans kickdown and governor question Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, guys. I'll take a look at the governor once I get the van back. Maybe the linkage needs to be adjusted again, though it still sounds like the governor isn't doing its job. I never had this issue before installing the rebuilt trans.
I may attempt to adjust it so I can still hit WOT without engaging the kickdown at all. The times where I actually legitimately use the kickdown are few and far between. I'd much rather have the control to manually downshift if needed.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto trans kickdown and governor question Reply with quote

blackglasspirate wrote:
I never had this issue before installing the rebuilt trans.

Any chance the issue started when you went to 215x75x15 tires? I would expect them to increase your tranny temp, since they increase load.

They also change your gearing by 10%, and coincidentally your shift point at 60mph is 10% taller than the spec of 55mph

not sure, just some thoughts, I don't have an auto

hope you have a Vantastic Trip
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto trans kickdown and governor question Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
hope you have a Vantastic Trip

Thanks, man!

That's a good question, but it started before I put the bigger tires on. The new tires potentially added fuel to the fire, but it started before then.
Looks like I have some tinkering to do before I attempt the Andes...
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto trans kickdown and governor question Reply with quote

ok, sorry its not just the tires

a few thoughts, with all due respect, as there may be a mechanical issue and you do need to solve it if there is.

Alternative viewpoints, IF the issue is that you're moving heavy loads, up steep hills, at higher speeds than the van can manage. (are you for example keeping your van below GVWR?):

learn to tolerate the downshift, it is there to help you get up a hill.
learn to tolerate higher RPM, 4500k is not to be feared,
learn to tolerate going slower, when the van downshifts going uphill

most of all, major respect for your courage, sense of adventure, and inspired relationship

I really enjoy your photos
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto trans kickdown and governor question Reply with quote

I have found with my 86 2.1 WBX Auto that I manually downshift and run a consistent rpm until the crest.

It is much more relaxing doing this than enduring the constant upshift / downshift pattern that occurs if you let the transmission decide.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Auto trans kickdown and governor question Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
most of all, major respect for your courage, sense of adventure, and inspired relationship

I really enjoy your photos

Thanks so much for the kind words! We'll try to keep the photos coming.

I definitely do need to get used to going slower with the bigger tires. Right now I am actually unsure of the weight, especially after the recent heavy item upgrades (bumpers, tires, solar, etc.), but I will have to weigh it at the port in Cartagena when it arrives, so I'll know the exact weight then.

I also don't mind going up hills slowly, or the downshift (in theory), but most of the time when it downshifts I still feel like there's plenty of power in 3rd to maintain speed and I actually lose power from it dropping to 2nd because it's topped out at around 5k.

I guess my main beef with it is that it doesn't just do this on steep mountain passes. This past drive was through the flat state of Florida and it would downshift on the small inclines for the interstate overpasses. At this point I'm not entirely sure if it's a mechanical issue or an adjustment issue, but I intend on figuring it out, and also getting used to the ride difference from the tires.

Quote:
It is much more relaxing doing this than enduring the constant upshift / downshift pattern that occurs if you let the transmission decide.

That's what I was thinking. I'd much rather be in control of the shifting in those situations. Guess I should have bought a manual transmission!
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto trans kickdown and governor question Reply with quote

blackglasspirate wrote:
I guess my main beef with it is that it doesn't just do this on steep mountain passes. This past drive was through the flat state of Florida and it would downshift on the small inclines for the interstate overpasses.
I'd much rather be in control of the shifting in those situations. Guess I should have bought a manual transmission!

sounds aggravating, try going slower
it is not reasonable to force a tranny to stay in too tall a gear that can't make enough power to move the load at high speed up an incline.

you CAN manually downshift and hold it there, but again, you have to slow down, since I agree 5000rpm is not relaxing.

everything Im hearing makes me think you are moving a heavy load and disappointed you can't go fast also. It may be that your tranny is not normal, or it may be that your expectations are infected with assumptions that a Van can go fast, and stay in third gear uphill..

I keep coming back to adjusting the Nut at the Wheel.. Wink

you have a heavy van, with a box on the roof, and tall tires that rob power. Your best option is to go slower, and downshift manually into 2nd any time the Van shows you that it is not happy to stay in 3rd

of course, none of my guesses matter, it is your actual experience that matters

I hope you find a happy speed to cruise with a minimum of shifting

safe travels!
timichango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Auto trans kickdown and governor question Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
blackglasspirate wrote:
I guess my main beef with it is that it doesn't just do this on steep mountain passes. This past drive was through the flat state of Florida and it would downshift on the small inclines for the interstate overpasses.
I'd much rather be in control of the shifting in those situations. Guess I should have bought a manual transmission!

sounds aggravating, try going slower
it is not reasonable to force a tranny to stay in too tall a gear that can't make enough power to move the load at high speed up an incline.

you CAN manually downshift and hold it there, but again, you have to slow down, since I agree 5000rpm is not relaxing.

everything Im hearing makes me think you are moving a heavy load and disappointed you can't go fast also. It may be that your tranny is not normal, or it may be that your expectations are infected with assumptions that a Van can go fast, and stay in third gear uphill..

I keep coming back to adjusting the Nut at the Wheel.. Wink

you have a heavy van, with a box on the roof, and tall tires that rob power. Your best option is to go slower, and downshift manually into 2nd any time the Van shows you that it is not happy to stay in 3rd

of course, none of my guesses matter, it is your actual experience that matters

I hope you find a happy speed to cruise with a minimum of shifting

safe travels!

We've got the stock automatic 3-speed with a subaru 2.5l, plus taller tires, and we didn't have our governor shaved down. Basically only ever use the kickdown to pass on flats (or merge on fast highways) when I'm going to be at full throttle anyways.

For hill climbing at (or approaching) highway speeds, particularly when loaded for camping, with passengers, etc., I automatically (har har) slap it down into second, and just wind it up. I prefer forcing it down into 2nd via the shifter, as it gives me the full range of throttle control, vs. using the kickdown, and just matting the pedal.

The subaru's happy to spin 5500 RPM in a pinch, and I have zero qualms keeping it in the mid-4000s for extended mountain pass traversals, etc. Seems to run cooler and be happier than trying to lug it up those same hills in 3rd. Not sure about the stock WBX — I anticipate that the lower redline of that engine is likely a roadblock there, in which case you're inevitably going to have your constrained by how fast you can climb below redline, in 2nd. As far as I understand the Automatic (per Gowesty's article), the torque converter will essentially either let the engine spin faster at a given speed depending on the torque requirements in a given load scenario. The converse effect there, is that if you're maintaining a consistent climbing RPM, then as the grade increases, the torque converter will allow the vehicle to slow down while letting the engine keep turning the same speed to generate more torque (to get up the increased grade).

On the steeper grades, with heavier loads, yeah sure, we'll get passed, but so what? We're still faster than the average RV or semi crawling up those same grades.

In order to race up and down hills in one of these vans, you'll need a more powerful engine (eg. SVX 6-cyl), and a pursuant fortification of the rest of the drivetrain, lest it get chewed up by the increased power.

[vimeo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5pvxgWJnws[/vimeo]
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto trans kickdown and governor question Reply with quote

My kickdown isn't working now either.

I had a rebuilt transaxle installed a couple years ago and took it back as the kickdown was really harsh. It would cause a loud BOOM but at least it worked. But the installer readjusted the cable/linkage it and it worked fine for 2 years. During our last trip we had no kickdown and had to manually shift into 2nd climbing steep hills.

I'm sure it's a simple adjustment but I'm not sure what to shoot for.

Here's a photo of the TB linkage/pivot with the gas pedal floored;
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And the butterfly valve;

Shouldn't that valve be totally open when the pedal is floored?

When I pushed the TB to transaxle linkage toward the front of the van it looked like this, and my helper said, "the gas pedal got pulled closer to the floor".

The butterfly valve looked like this.

Shouldn't that butterfly valve be positioned as shown in that last picture when the gas pedal is fully depressed?

I'm trying to figure out whether the adjustment should be to the pedal-trans cable or the trans-to-TB linkage. I also want to avoid that harsh kickdown I experienced when the trans was installed but don't know what caused that in the first place.

I've looked at my Bentley but the photos showing the various reference positions of the kickdown lever are really poor.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto trans kickdown and governor question Reply with quote

it took me a while to wrap my head around how this is suppose to work.

i'll give you a dumbed down version

basically you want WOT when you mash your foot to the floor. the way vw does this is they want the spring compressed on the rod at the TB at the same time the kick down lever on the trans is in kick down mode.

the easiest way i have found to adjust this is push the kick down lever all the way forward and zip tie it there.

have a brick, hammer, ax or whatever keep the pedal to the floor. adjust the cable at the pedal end nice and tight (by tight, i mean pull the cable tight)

take a peek at the throttle blade before removing any bricks, zip ties etc. if it's WOT, you're good to go. if not, adjust the spring accordingly

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: