Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gas strut for rear seat
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Gas strut for rear seat Reply with quote

I have the jackbombay gas struts for my Vanagon poptop. My back has healed and is well again and I can tuck the tent in before pulling the top closed. What about a gas strut for rear seat? Sometimes the seat has a few things on it and it is difficult to lift. I'm always aware that the OG support might get get knocked aside and my fingers smashed.

I should be able to figure out the proper size strut and mounting dimensions myself. But if jackbombay offered a kit I would buy it.

I would also like to have gas struts for the poptop on my '69 camper.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas strut for rear seat Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
But if jackbombay offered a kit I would buy it.

Would be a pretty easy kit to put together, I'll look into it!

Tom Powell wrote:

The roof is hinged at the front of the van? I'd love to have one in my driveway for a half hour to take some measurements :-/ I'll be in San diego for thanksgiving for a week if somebody has one that I could run a tape measure on!

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas strut for rear seat Reply with quote

jackbombay wrote:
Tom Powell wrote:

Tom Powell wrote:

The roof is hinged at the front of the van? I'd love to have one in my driveway for a half hour to take some measurements :-/ I'll be in San diego for thanksgiving for a week if somebody has one that I could run a tape measure on!

Check with Gary (Aeromech) in La Jolla. He has a tintop, but works on a lot of other campers, both new and late bays. He'll know of other poptops in the San Diego area. I have a '69 camper in LA with the hinge at the front., but I won't be there until the end of January.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas strut for rear seat Reply with quote

I really like the idea of a gas strut on the rear seat. It's overkill but I'd almost be tempted to install two struts (provides a small fail safe?). They might even make use of that dead space where stuff always gets lost. Or just make it harder to retrieve said stuff! Wink

For those (aka Me) who've replaced the rear foam with thicker foam, doing so obviously puts more pressure on the OEM brace that holds the seat bottom up. Gas struts would help in that case (or I could just make a different brace or modify existing brace)

If I had a gas strut installed I'd still likely use the stock brace along with it.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas strut for rear seat Reply with quote

On my first Vanagon I made a latch for my rear seat with the intent of eventually adding a locking mechanism.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have two Vanagons now after an engine fire with the first. One has an OG latch and the other doesn't. Wouldn't it be nice if you just unlatched the seat and it opened by itself?

Aloha
tp
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas strut for rear seat Reply with quote

jackbombay wrote:
Tom Powell wrote:

I'd be a customer!

In fact, how about a strut for the seat and a strut for the stove lid package?

Now that my van is getting a high-top, it needs some different Jack Bombay love.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas strut for rear seat Reply with quote

i know the eurovan had them, but i'd like a strut for my kitchen lid
drumbum68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Gas strut for rear seat Reply with quote

How would a gas strut work on rear seat if folding to bed.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Gas strut for rear seat Reply with quote

drumbum68 wrote:
How would a gas strut work on rear seat if folding to bed.

Unfasten the strut.

Aloha
tp
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: