Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1991 Double door pop top conversion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Double door pop top conversion Reply with quote

I'd be interested if Synthetic 'cleans' the stuff off while cool and stationary.
How long has it been in there? And, did it drain "clear"?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Double door pop top conversion Reply with quote

RoryGirl wrote:
Sodo wrote:
Old post, but maybe there's still time. Questions regarding switching over to Synthetic on an old trans.

The inside of the trans case has lots of abrasive trash stuck on it, that the synthetic oil will wash off, thus contaminating the new expensive oil. Now your $$$ oil is actually detrimental, whereas using garden-variety oil would not add this problem. If you want to use a specialty oil consider Swepco 201 or another Dino oil. Just a suggestion.

If you want to use synthetic, will it be rebuilt? And how is the rebuilder cleaning the black stuff offa the inside surface of the case? Some of them have fairly wicked transaxle case cleaner eqpt. It's a good thing to know before going Synthetic

Dang...thanks for the info. I've already added it to the trans, but haven't run it yet. Guess I'll consider draining and doing something else.

Don't give it a second thought. Drive it like you stole it.

J
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Double door pop top conversion Reply with quote

jberger wrote:
Don't give it a second thought. Drive it like you stole it.

J

Hmmm...who am I going with here? Any other opinions?

Sodo wrote:
I'd be interested if Synthetic 'cleans' the stuff off while cool and stationary.
How long has it been in there? And, did it drain "clear"?

Tranny is on the bench and fluid has been in for the better part of a year (damn...need to get moving! lol) If I drain it, I'll let you know. I was thinking of straining it if I do.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Double door pop top conversion Reply with quote

jberger and Sodo are both right but Sodo's under the van with a wrench while jberger is sitting at a campfire with #vanlife girls ontop doing yoga poses in the moonlight (and there happens to be a skilled photographer present). If that's not enough, he has a beer. These are both valid methods to use a Vanagon, so choose your poison. Wink

There is no strainer that can compare to "gravity and time", which (it seems), you have both. Strainers can get down to 8, 7, 6 microns where 5 microns is expensive, much more than buying a new $100 jug of oil. Gravity is 100%, it gets all particles. Which includes 8,7,6 microns and 1/2 microns and 1/4 microns too, for "free".

Ball bearings last much longer when the particle size is less than the oil film thickness. For a ball bearing (and gear faces too) oil film is about 3 down to 0.4 microns. Which is a mostly impossible cleanliness to achieve in a closed system. But in any case the cleaner it is - the longer the bearings will run, and gear faces too.

Contaminants will settle to the bottom in non-moving oil. There will be a little trash from your previous gear oil that the 202 mixed with. After a few months the drained oil will be absolutely clean as new above the sediment that's all on the bottom. And perhaps even cleaner than new cuz the mfr didn't have months to settle it - they had to sell the stuff ASAP (inventory turns) to get the money.

Just drain it out, set it on the shelf at a 45* angle. Write the date on it, and someday poke a hole in the jug an inch above the bottom corner. I'd use a water-clear bottle so I can see the sediment (if any) they cost $.99 at the supermarket (full of drinking water). Wink See this post. You will have perfectly purified Swepco 202. Maybe by then you will have a rebuilt transaxle with the case inside soda-blasted clean, more appropriate for Synthetic.

This gives you the option to do a couple quick flushes with $16 garden-variety GL4 or 5, and get that old trans as clean as possible for it's next phase. It's still quiet and not making much metal (fingers crossed) a couple quick flushes is a much better way to start out than washing all the sediment off the shelves with $$$ synthetic. Get the existing metal out, let the sleeping dogs lie (the existing sediment that ain't moving) and check the magnet a couple times to see if it's making new metal. After you have confirmed its running “clean” THEN it could make sense to put in some specialty oil (if a big engine).

This stuff gets more important if you plan to over-engine that little transaxle.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Double door pop top conversion Reply with quote

Sounds good...Thanks! It's coming out.
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Double door pop top conversion Reply with quote

I got these luggage rack brackets from Brickwerks. I've got some yellow chromate on the go right now so they got a dip in that.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

We all know what Marco's injectors look like by now...

Hopefully some actual van shots soon, lol
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Double door pop top conversion Reply with quote

This double door won the lottery when you bought it!
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Double door pop top conversion Reply with quote

Hi, noticed this thread. Did you graft the camper top on yet?
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Double door pop top conversion Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Hi, noticed this thread. Did you graft the camper top on yet?

No grafting yet...I should have the roof on with a hole in the tintop by Christmas, I'll do it properly next year sometime.

I've got the Whiteline upper CA bushings. The old ones came out using a 5" vice that I was sure was going to break...but it did the job. Sounded like a gunshot when they finally let go! As with all the other zinc coated stuff I've got, they got a dip in the chromate. I actually dipped the press in sleeves after I put them in.

My seat belt mounts are shot. I'll have no rear seat, so I'm just welding those blank for now and the front will get repaired with these plates I got from Brickwerks. Again, I dipped in chromate.

Bumper brackets all cleaned up.

Still need a few fittings and hose, but I've got most of the other stuff to finish my oil cooler setup. Derale bypass and remote mount, Hayden thermostatic sandwich adapter.

RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Double door pop top conversion Reply with quote

There was a tonne of hard glue on the foam of my Recaro insert and I'm installing one of those carbon fiber seat heaters, so didn't want that glue there. I soaked this multiple times in rubbing alcohol to disolve the glue and scraped/picked the foam off.

I've got new scrim foam going on and I took off the old embroidered Recaro logo that wasn't looking so hot anymore and had a local place stich a new one on for me with an embroidery file I got online. I picked a colour I thought was close to dove blue.

I've had this GoWesty TB for close to a year now...time to get it on!

RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Double door pop top conversion Reply with quote

Some in progress of rebuilding my PS pump. When I took it off the engine, I could pull the shaft out of the pump. Once I opened things up, the circlip was just sitting there...I guess it spun off or was incorrectly installed in a previous rebuild?

The rebuild kit I got from Brickwerks

RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Double door pop top conversion Reply with quote

I'm still working on this thing, lol...up to it in bodywork right now

Got this aluminum box (40x12x9.5) off craigslist for 20 bux, welded with nice channel edges - its a pretty good fit for under the rear deck...sort of.

My "under deck storage" will be half in and half out to butt up to the footer I'm going to use (more on that in a bit...free off craigslist!) for the full size queen that's going in. My rear seatbelt mounts were blown out and I won't be using them anyways, so I figure it's a good time to cut more out!

I'm going to use a combo of aluminum angle/rivnuts/bolts/maybe some panel adhesive to get it in there and it will only be accessible inside. I know it would be nice to have it removeable...but I'm probably ditching most of the firewall at this point, so access will be better anyways.

Inside will be 2 12v batteries, Victron combiner, Noco Genius(I've got the remote socket too), relocated ECU and my aluminum case 5kw chinese heater that finally showed up. I'm also going to externally mount some Taylor remote lugs I scored off CL as well. Not sure If I'm going to put the cheap solar charge controller I got with my CT Noma panel in there or elsewhere...

You can just see my luggage rack almost ready for paint too.

RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Double door pop top conversion Reply with quote

Got a great deal on a barebones Gary Lee rack locally...

...but I also got one of these Pathfinder carriers right after.

I think I may pass along the Gary Lee as the corner I need to mount the Pathfinder rack to isn't perfect to begin with.

Anyone local(ish) want to trade? I'm looking for a full set of side cladding and a front spoiler.

Alot more updates to come.
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Double door pop top conversion Reply with quote

Just scored a set of Jalousie's...one's missing a knob - but I can't complain @ $150 CDN for the pair! Dancing

Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Double door pop top conversion Reply with quote

Love this build!

Will you need to shorten both jalousies? The 85+ vans need the Jalousies to be modified to fit the smaller slider door window opening.

Keep up with the updates
Cheers
Gruppe B
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Double door pop top conversion Reply with quote

Yeah...I'll be following the instructions in this thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=283728

Cheers!
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Double door pop top conversi Reply with quote

Aryana wrote:
This double door won the lottery when you bought it!

RoryGirl wrote:

Threw some elbow grease and U-Pol wheel silver onto my rimz - I'm getting five 235/45/17 Nokian WRG3s on Friday..l

RoryGirl wrote:

I'm looking for a full set of side cladding and a front spoiler.

One of my favorite threads just got better. The photos of the parts alone are great. Can’t wait to actually see the van. Wink

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Double door pop top conversion Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
One of my favorite threads just got better. The photos of the parts alone are great. Can’t wait to actually see the van. Wink

Yeah...I'm usually swearing and kicking things while working on the van, not taking pics lol. Thanks!

Speaking of, I've had most of these parts for some time now

Installing my Techtonics chip

I did get rockers from Marco

Adjustable voltage regulator from DaveBarton (I used to be a volvo guy)

Lighting is shaping up like this -

eCodes from VWBUSSHOP

Depo clear signals (quality on these is questionable)

Aftermarket tails that most of the usual suspects sell (I've got my eye on some Hellas with the backup lights red though)

I've got 2 new in the package sets of these vintage(ish) Bosch Scouts that I think suit the squares well. I'm probably going to use as backups and maybe side floods. Designed for today's aerodynamic vehicles...lol

I picked up these little Deltas super cheap and I'm probably going to use just the lenses and 3D print myself some sort of PZwo type things

In other news...late night Kijiji cruising netted me a used Dometic CF-50 for $280 CDN, which I think was a score! Unfortunately it's in Toronto, but fortunately I have amazing friends who grabbed it for me (they also have my 2nd Recaro) and I plan to drive to TO when this is back together hopefully late Sept/early Oct.

Last edited by RoryGirl on Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Double door pop top conversion Reply with quote

I just read your entire thread!!

Really cool and clean build!

Love the cute pupper!! Cool

The no reverse lights are usually early european models. If you get them with the light bulb holder, the pinout is actually different on
wires, stop and tail light reversed. I`m not sure you can add the reverse light bulb with a US or later Euro bulb holder as the housing may not have a hole. It`s just a reflector. I don`t remember if there`s a hole in it Wink

The Depo clear lenses hold up well, I`ve had them in Europe for quite some time, at least the batch from years ago Laughing
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Double door pop top conversion Reply with quote

Thanks ALIKA T3! If I didn't already have a new set of PS boots that I got before I knew yours existed...and my budget is on fumes right now. They're on my short list for sure!

I have a Maxxair MaxxFan 00A04401K w/smoked lid that I'm going to adapt somehow.

Stereo so far is super cheap and tiny Blaupunkt Toronto that's going to end up in a center console of some sort...I'm going to 3D print something for the stock location. Those are older Infinity Kappa Perfect 52.5is I've had forever and will end up in the rear somewhere.

Infinity Kappa 42.7is already in the door cards. I'm going to 3D print grills.

I'm on the lookout for a vintage amp...but may also use this never been out of the plastic Motorola Pow R Booster Equalizer that I think is too cool. I may sell it though.

Sort of unrelated...but I found this 12v air pump on the local classifieds and grabbed it for $15. I was thinking of having it in the van for emergencies, but a little internet sleuthing (I actually did this before I bought it) reveals that it's a rare Webster pump that came as original equipment for 1979 Porsche 911 SCs (and they can be worth a bit of coin). We'll see how it does in the pcar classifieds! It's apart in this pic as I'm cleaning it up.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: