Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1991 Double door pop top conversion
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Double door pop top conversion Reply with quote

Long overdue update...

I did manage to get another (2 actually) 8.5" wide AMG Style 1s, so now I have 7 in total. 5 genuine and the 2 reps that I'll probably use for burnouts Wink

They need a little love
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I also scored another RocketBox. The lock is even on the opposite side. I think these boxes have some of the nicer lines of the era.

Engine hoist has been occupied for a bit - but I got it freed up this past week...

...which is good as I need to pull out the motor/tranny so I can sell my 4spd.

I'll be selling almost everything but pedal setup and axles. Kennedy adapter stuff will also be available. I should have an ad up by the end of the week, but you can DM me if you're interested. Be aware I've taken 1/4" off the input shaft.
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Double door pop top conversion Reply with quote

luVWagn wrote:
old thread, any updates? I have a double-door coming together as well, would be neat to sync-up sometime, since we're both in the PNW.

Funnily enough I was in my thread this morning to grab a pic as I was corresponding with WCM about sliding door window seals...the universe called out and you bumped it, lol

I had to take a break for awhile for health reasons, but am in the clear now so I'll be back at it shortly. I do plan to be driving this fall.

The VR6 is hanging in the bay and I'm working out the mounts and exhaust. I'll have some updated pics real soon.
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Double door pop top conversion Reply with quote

old thread, any updates? I have a double-door coming together as well, would be neat to sync-up sometime, since we're both in the PNW.
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Double door pop top conversion Reply with quote

^ We're going to be manifold bros...check out Bansheelos build thread. I'm also going to be running a turbo manifold in my NA application. The rest of my exhaust will be different from his and I'm planning something closer to what this Doka has going on.

Mine was free because of a shipping screw up

My Kennedy 5600 kit just showed up...I hope to pull the donor motor in the next week or so

Got a Mullendore port for my transmission...thanks Karl! My Bosch starter is slow rolling it in from who knows where.

Also finally popped on a T3 bar so I can mount my stock front bar out back while everything's still out of the way. HD end links are backordered.

Bansheelos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Double door pop top conversion Reply with quote

It’s gonna be a goodie!!!
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Double door pop top conversion Reply with quote

Sold most of my WBX parts and the motor itself, so the VR6 stuff is starting to come in. I do still have some things for sale in the classifieds.

MSD 8224 coils and Super Conductor 8.5mm wires. I plan to put the coils under the rear deck above the tranny on a 3D printed mount. My firewall is already gone.

Ross-Tech Hex-V2 USB Interface for OBD2 VCDS chit-chats

My Kennedy adapter should be ready to ship mid February and I plan to start tearing the Passat apart this week
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Double door pop top conversion Reply with quote

For sure...when my WBX stuff sells I'm going to pop for the Eurowise metal housing/pipe
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Double door pop top conversion Reply with quote

The VR6 in our EV makes a glorious racket when it's all wound up. I would plan on replacing the crack pipe, thermostat housing and timing chains/sprocket while the engine is out.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Double door pop top conversion Reply with quote

My WBX stuff is up in the classifieds

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2442681

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2442680

Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Double door pop top conversion Reply with quote

Nice. I used to have a VR6 Jetta. What a smooth wonderful engine!
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Double door pop top conversion Reply with quote

Not great...but with the bags, I'm not too worried. I am considering a shortened oil pan, we'll see.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Double door pop top conversion Reply with quote

Nice engine. How's the ground clearance with that swap?
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Double door pop top conversion Reply with quote

So...this is happening. DM me if you want to get in on some WBX parts before I list them.

erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Double door pop top conversion Reply with quote

RoryGirl wrote:

I'm still looking for an OEM AMG 8.5 for cheap

Had to go back a few pages to check out which AMG wheels you were talking about. Hope you don't mind me quoting this pic with the cute dog Smile
RoryGirl wrote:

Serious parts collection you've got going! Look forward to seeing it come together.
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Double door pop top conversion Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:

Also, I see some sort of high/low combo possibility here. Low in front, high in back or maybe a double-decker rack (it is a double slider, no?

I don't think I have a need for a double-decker rack...but I am going for a "dual/double" sort of theme.

I've been on the lookout for a twin of the Rocketbox I have, but it hasn't materialized yet and my Thule luck has continued - getting this XL box for free (it does have bolts in it from solar panels and a small crack and it's locked, lol). So I think for now the roof is single and the Rocketbox gets sold to finance more parts. I do have 2 100W solar panels, but I'm not sure how I'm mounting those yet - probably not on the box.

Speaking of new parts, I did get a Marco oil pump

And back to the double stuff, I've been collecting these metal futon frames that have been popping up for free, because I don't know about you - but I see a couple of swing-outs in them.

I've got 3 frames, so 6 of those ends (2" OD) and the thing I like about them is that they're light gauge (more than strong enough to hold boxes or wheels...or a fat-ass on a futon, lol). One entire futon frame with hinges and everything weighs less than the Pathfinder carrier. So that's moving on as well...If you're on Vancouver Island and want it or a Gary Lee rack, hit me up.

And also for free, to put on those swing-outs I'll make (next year sometime, after I get it out of the damn garage!), I got these 2 WeatherGuard boxes that were bolted together in an E350. They're 20x20x17.5. Obviously need a little welding and hammer work to get rid of the mounting holes, and I'm going to put on different locks/latches. These could be the only thing on my van that sees bed-liner.

I'm still looking for an OEM AMG 8.5 for cheap, and when I eventually find it I'll have the double spares probably over the rear window. I need to take pics of the double-ness I've got for the interior, but they're a bit buried now. Smile Smile
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Double door pop top conversion Reply with quote

RoryGirl wrote:
Garage floor needs work

Don't get distracted. We need your build way more than Garage Journal needs your floor repair.

Also, I see some sort of high/low combo possibility here. Low in front, high in back or maybe a double-decker rack (it is a double slider, no?

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Double door pop top conversion Reply with quote

Garage floor needs work

RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Double door pop top conversion Reply with quote

Ride-Fly wrote:

I am mighty impressed by your work! Where did you learn how do all that? Jeez, I get intimidated by any sort of body work. I’m usually willing to do mechanical and electrical work on my Westy but no can do for body work!

Err - about that bodywork...I guess I need to get back on it! Embarassed I'm definitely an amateur, but with the right tools and internet access I find it comes out looking half decent. Good thing this isn't a Ferrari or something, lol

Picking the right product the first time is important too as I'm finding out with the Pettit rust paint I used on most of my parts and half of the underside. I've stripped most of it off as it was just sh1t. 2 part epoxy priming and powdercoating what I can myself now.

Guess what....more parts pics as proof of life that this isn't an abandoned project!

My front bags came in. Slam Specialties SS5s

I got some Koni reds for the front. I might run the stock springs for a bit to get a baseline alignment, but these will eventually be mounted outside of the control arm as others have done

I pulled the trigger on a MyCar VS-4LU-1 which is the Canadian spec (and originator I think) of the CarLink ASCL6 smartphone app/GPS tracker I outlined here. I'm still deciding on the alarm.

Here's the flooring I'm using, some sort of vinyl - it's pretty thin. I got a box of it at the Restore for $20, it's enough for my needs. Not sure on the subfloor yet.

I've been keeping an eye out for some big ass round fog lights as I really like the contrast to the squares, a la Tristar Eric.

Picked up these aluminum bodied JDM FET LandMaster 216ALBs locally for what I think was a deal. No stone guards, but I'm working on some 3D printed ones now. 216mm = 8.5 inches

I always jump when I see a cheap Thule gutter mount rack (I got some for free too)...so I'm pretty set for either situation. Also because Volvo 745s in my past, lol

Ride-Fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Double door pop top conversion Reply with quote

RoryGirl wrote:
Ride-Fly wrote:
How’s the build going Rorygirl? Give us an update with pics please! Do you have a project completion target?

Eyeballs deep in bodywork right now (and have been taking a break)...will be hopping back on it this weekend. I have both rear fenders/firewall/front fenders cut out. Buy a van with NO RUST, lol

I'll get some pics of something soon, installing some T3 plasma gauges at the moment.

I don't think it will ever be "completed" - but I aim to be driving in April.

You know, I abide by that remark! I have been looking to add a second Vanagon to my collection and have looked at a bunch. If it even has a hint of seam rust, I pass! What especially raises my alarm bells is when a van has been repainted in the past, yet there are specs of seam rust coming through the paint. Saw several of those in person, and had to pass. Even though there were two that I really would have liked to purchase.

I have just decided I’m no longer getting the 2nd Vanagon for reasons I addressed in my other thread.

With my current westy, I go very lucky. Not a spec of rust on my native Southern California rig when I bought it. After a dozen years in Colorado and Oregon, it developed a small patch on the window frame, but I took care of that when I got it repainted last year.

I am mighty impressed by your work! Where did you learn how do all that? Jeez, I get intimidated by any sort of body work. I’m usually willing to do mechanical and electrical work on my Westy but no can do for body work!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Double door pop top conversion Reply with quote

Ride-Fly wrote:
How’s the build going Rorygirl? Give us an update with pics please! Do you have a project completion target?

Eyeballs deep in bodywork right now (and have been taking a break)...will be hopping back on it this weekend. I have both rear fenders/firewall/front fenders cut out. Buy a van with NO RUST, lol

I'll get some pics of something soon, installing some T3 plasma gauges at the moment.

I don't think it will ever be "completed" - but I aim to be driving in April.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: