Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

HELP! Rebuilt engine problems
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BaruchYahHallelu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:37 pm    Post subject: HELP! Rebuilt engine problems Reply with quote

I need help with my rebuilt engine on a 1984 1.9-
I have
•replaced the piston and cylinders with big bore slip ins
•replaced lifters
•cleaned heads and what was reachable by hand in the water body area
•re-did all the fuel lines
•replaced some electrical
•replaced spark plugs and wires
•I DID check and triple check that my rockers were properly set to match timing
•and other small stuff

I have checked off on fuel getting to the injectors, proper spark connection and sparking at the plugs, timing on diz proportionate to TDC on proper cylinders, and slid the diz to various spots of advance/ret, as well as opened the intake tune up screws to allow more air flow for break in startup. I did have the rockers set to 2 spins or whatever the green book says, but I set it to zero lash when I read another thread, which did seem to get a better sound from the engine

When I try to start, it sounds like it’s puffing and turning, and wants to start, even with a little combustion sometimes, but no start- and I can’t try it too much because I don’t want to wear the rings before they can be properly seated, as well as the whole gas in the cylinder thing that happens every time you turn the key.

My biggest question is I’ve heard of tuning “all in” for a rebuild, but no one ever explains how to go “all in,” so I’ve tried but the only thing I end up is ‘all in’ oil and another day of not being good enough.

I’ve been doing a lot of research with no help and I really don’t want to drop the ball, I mean engine, again.

Last edited by BaruchYahHallelu on Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! Rebuilt engine problems Reply with quote

BaruchYahHallelu wrote:
timing on diz proportionate to TDC on proper cylinders

might just be semantics but timing is only set to cyl 1, not plural. your wording opens the possibility maybe you did it differently. dunno.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! Rebuilt engine problems Reply with quote

Well what you DO have going for you is that your account is almost a year old and your post is coherent. These days I'm always skeptical of first HELP posts...seems most don't bother to come back on line again to check in or update. If you post, you will get all the help you need to get this straightened out. Engines are ultimately simple.

Q1 - Did THIS van and did THIS engine run before the rebuild?

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
BaruchYahHallelu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! Rebuilt engine problems Reply with quote

Sorry, I bad with lingo words, but yes, it is set how it is supposed to. IE set to TDC, cylinder 1 being out all the way, to me I’m talking about the alignment that comes with the first cylinder being aligned properly with the distributor, which in turn also assures the rest are properly going to fire at the right time (aside from ret/adv function)
BaruchYahHallelu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! Rebuilt engine problems Reply with quote

Yes, the van ran before but I was having water gasket leaks, so I decided to change it, but broke a ring in the process. the whole thing just needed a look at in general because it was obvious that it was only given minimal engine maintenance before I bought it in 2020 Nov
TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! Rebuilt engine problems Reply with quote

You could have the distributor wired 180* out. I know I've done that in the past.

'84 GL adventure van project (1.9L, 4speed) https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=755844&highlight=
BaruchYahHallelu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! Rebuilt engine problems Reply with quote

TomInAlaska wrote:
You could have the distributor wired 180* out. I know I've done that in the past.

I read up on that, I don’t believe I do, it’s bottom right at TDC with cylinder 1 all the way out. I poked a screw driver in the hole to make sure it was accurate, though I know the only way to really check is to see if intake rocker piece is opened at cylinder 1 too. Which is hard right now because the oil in the head pan next to rocker just flows on out when I open it and I don’t have any more break in oil to put in rn if I drop low
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! Rebuilt engine problems Reply with quote

If it's not a timing issue....

I'd pull the plugs and check compression.

My hunch is that valve lash is set too tight, valves aren't closing fully.

Neil.

BaruchYahHallelu wrote:
I need help with my rebuilt engine on a 1984 1.9-

.... I did have the rockers set to 2 spins or whatever the green book says, but I set it to zero lash when I read another thread, which did seem to get a better sound from the engine

When I try to start, it sounds like it’s puffing and turning, and wants to start, even with a little combustion sometimes, but no start-

1988 West, 50º ABA

Vanagon VAG GAS engine swap Google Group:
https://tinyurl.com/2f24rmh

VE7TBN
BaruchYahHallelu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! Rebuilt engine problems Reply with quote

Is there a way to do that without a compression tool. Money and the ability to drive myself there rn are limiting factors. Btw that sounds like a possibility. I’m on 1% so I’ll get back when to yall
TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! Rebuilt engine problems Reply with quote

BaruchYahHallelu wrote:
TomInAlaska wrote:

I read up on that, I don’t believe I do, it’s bottom right at TDC with cylinder 1 all the way out. ...

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I wouldn't put 100% trust in the distributor wiring diagrams. The distributor drive might not have been installed in the block per the factory specifications and so TDC on #1 could be anywhere. Mine certainly isn't wired according to any factory diagrams. And yes, the only way to see if any particular piston is as TDC on the compression stroke and not the exhaust stroke is to watch the rocker arms. Anyway, I'm just throwing out the possibility since I chased down a similar spitting/sputtering/non starting issue last year when I replaced my distributor without first making a note of where the plug wires were plugged.

'84 GL adventure van project (1.9L, 4speed) https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=755844&highlight=
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! Rebuilt engine problems Reply with quote

Hmm... I had a kid who was working on his bus ask me for help once... I took a look and pulled several and put the wires on as such:

1-4-3-2

Bingo.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! Rebuilt engine problems Reply with quote

ok, backing up a bit and going over some basics....

- did the distributor come out in this refurb?

- if it did come out, did you remove the clamp down nut and pull it off the stud or did you loosen the clamp band that allows timing adjustment?

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com

Last edited by DanHoug on Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! Rebuilt engine problems Reply with quote

BaruchYahHallelu wrote:
Is there a way to do that without a compression tool. Money and the ability to drive myself there rn are limiting factors. Btw that sounds like a possibility. I’m on 1% so I’ll get back when to yall

(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! Rebuilt engine problems Reply with quote

Compression tester and other diagnostic tools availe as loaners from FLAPS.

do.dah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! Rebuilt engine problems Reply with quote

BaruchYahHallelu wrote:
TomInAlaska wrote:

I read up on that, I don’t believe I do, it’s bottom right at TDC with cylinder 1 all the way out. I poked a screw driver in the hole to make sure it was accurate, though I know the only way to really check is to see if intake rocker piece is opened at cylinder 1 too. Which is hard right now because the oil in the head pan next to rocker just flows on out when I open it and I don’t have any more break in oil to put in rn if I drop low

I put my finger over the #1 sparkplug hole and hand crank until my finger is blown away from the hole, that'll tell ya if you are actually at TDC and not 180 degrees out.
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! Rebuilt engine problems Reply with quote

don't forget the other simple "doh" moments, like

* AFM wire not plugged in
* big hose not connected somewhere on the engine
* little hose not connected, like that cursed 90o elbow to the aux air regulator (hidden under the bigger hoses)

i've done all those, *AND MORE*...
do.dah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! Rebuilt engine problems Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:

Is the OP in the USA? Other countries my not have loaners.
JEL91Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! Rebuilt engine problems Reply with quote

As someone that just went through almost exactly what you are describing, and after getting great advice here and from a local mechanic, I would try advancing the timing by turning the distributor 1/2” counter clockwise and seeing if it fires. That ended up being all it took in my case after going down several other roads. This is quick and easy and you should not have to crank much if it is going to go.

Good luck.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! Rebuilt engine problems Reply with quote

do.dah wrote:
vanis13 wrote:

Is the OP in the USA? Other countries my not have loaners.

well since OP locates themselves EVERYWHERE, that includes the USA Laughing including right next to the tool loaner department Smile

...Curious though, maybe other countries have even grander DIY help like stocked DIY shops with lifts Razz

BaruchYahHallelu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! Rebuilt engine problems Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
ok, backing up a bit and going over some basics....

- did the distributor come out in this refurb?

- if it did come out, did you loosen the clamp down nut and pull it off the stud or did you loosen the clamp band that allows timing adjustment?

Yes, I took the whole distributor out including the drive shaft looking thing that goes into the case when I dropped the engine and was trying by to make sure everything was tip top clean. I did put it back correct (15-20 degree to nuts, slides in at 15 and curves to 20 if you do it Right.) and triple checked that distributor was properly set and not at 180.

Thanks everyone else for your comments, I know it may be something simple, but I have checked and triple checked grounds, ignition system (including spark wires and proper order), fuel pump (but not spray from injectors), as well as I just went and borrowed a compression tester, and my compressions stay, but vary as follows
1-110psi
2-125psi
3-110psi
4-110psi

My guess is valves with variance, since they are set at zero lash right now (back all the way out then made to touch the valve spring tips ever so gently). I assume that that should not be the problem. Could the intake valve and exhaust valve be closed too much in this case?

I will have to check on lifter timings in conjunction with distributor now. I’ve checked many wires and tubes for various things over and over, and I know I’ve plugged everything up, but I will also check for spark on all wires and plugs to make sure maybe some are not firing or something. I did put new spark plugs in so I may also put the old ones to make sure, since it worked before everything.

FYI you all, I took on this project because I wanted to make sure I learn about the Vanagon thoroughly before I hit the road for an unspecified amount of time. The engine could have gone without some of the things I did, but I didn’t do them I would never know how to do it until it was too late.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: