Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

009 Timing, I'm Sorry.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wrongside
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:01 pm    Post subject: 009 Timing, I'm Sorry. Reply with quote

First of all, I whole heartedly apologize. You are thinking "Are you serious guy?".
Yes, I am serious. I'm beginning to absolutely hate the internet and it's total cluster of misinformation.

I have a '74 with dual Solex 44 carbs and a 009 distributor. Yes, I'm aware... they suck. It's what I have, lets move on.

First of all, is BTDC to the LEFT of the 0 and is ATDC to the RIGHT of the 0 on the scale? Or the other way around? This seems like a stupid question but I just read this (On a site specifying stuff about Type 1s...so not the T4 pulley):
ATDC - After Top Dead Center.  This is a measurement in degrees after to the engine reaching top dead center.  Since the crank pulley rotates clockwise, ATDC is counterclockwise (past the point that TDC was reached) or to the LEFT of TDC.------This does sort of make sense as the pulley is moving in that direction... but the bus was timed in the other direction and was running.

The engine was timed to the right of the zero, and that's the direction I timed it. I just timed statically, just to learn about the engine. I thought this was ATDC, but is it? I have a timing light and would like to time with it, but only once I know what I'm going to time it to.

I also cannot find in direct actual simple facts what I am supposed to time this distributor to. It seems the 009 is a very ubiquitous distributor with an unending avalanche of half information written about it. Can anyone just tell me what I am supposed to time this distributor to statically AND with the timing light. And if that is to the left or the right of the 0 on the scale. (I have read 28 Degrees at 3000RPM, I assume this is to the left because the scale ends at 16 on the right. But the marks on the scale from POs are marked on the right and adds to my confusion, along with the Muir book (I know). Yes, I am like a child. Apologies. I have read so many seemingly conflicting or confusing posts that I could cry. It's shameful... Thanks!
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 009 Timing, I'm Sorry. Reply with quote

Link

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: 009 Timing, I'm Sorry. Reply with quote

Wrongside wrote:
First of all, I whole heartedly apologize. You are thinking "Are you serious guy?".
Yes, I am serious. I'm beginning to absolutely hate the internet and it's total cluster of misinformation.

I have a '74 with dual Solex 44 carbs and a 009 distributor. Yes, I'm aware... they suck. It's what I have, lets move on.

First of all, is BTDC to the LEFT of the 0 and is ATDC to the RIGHT of the 0 on the scale? Or the other way around? This seems like a stupid question but I just read this (On a site specifying stuff about Type 1s...so not the T4 pulley):
ATDC - After Top Dead Center.  This is a measurement in degrees after to the engine reaching top dead center.  Since the crank pulley rotates clockwise, ATDC is counterclockwise (past the point that TDC was reached) or to the LEFT of TDC.------This does sort of make sense as the pulley is moving in that direction... but the bus was timed in the other direction and was running.

The engine was timed to the right of the zero, and that's the direction I timed it. I just timed statically, just to learn about the engine. I thought this was ATDC, but is it? I have a timing light and would like to time with it, but only once I know what I'm going to time it to.

I also cannot find in direct actual simple facts what I am supposed to time this distributor to. It seems the 009 is a very ubiquitous distributor with an unending avalanche of half information written about it. Can anyone just tell me what I am supposed to time this distributor to statically AND with the timing light. And if that is to the left or the right of the 0 on the scale. (I have read 28 Degrees at 3000RPM, I assume this is to the left because the scale ends at 16 on the right. But the marks on the scale from POs are marked on the right and adds to my confusion, along with the Muir book (I know). Yes, I am like a child. Apologies. I have read so many seemingly conflicting or confusing posts that I could cry. It's shameful... Thanks!

Ignore T1 info when timing a Type 4. On a Type 4 BTDC is to the left of the mark and ATDC is to the right of the mark.

You do have a timing scale don't your? Set your timing at maybe 28-30° BTDC at 3500+ rpms. You probably can actually get by okay during cold weather with the timing advanced as far as 32° BTDC. Can't say what a good static timing would be for your 009 as there are all kinds of variants of this distributor out there, some with an engine killing level of advance.
Wrongside
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: 009 Timing, I'm Sorry. Reply with quote

Thanks Wildthings. The irony that I got two different answers is not lost on me. I will disregard the video cause it's T1 though. That's what I needed to know. Thanks.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: 009 Timing, I'm Sorry. Reply with quote

Simple version...

On a T1 the marks are on the pulley, and the 'timing pointer' is the crankcase seam. Depending on what pulley someone put on your car, you can have one, two or three marks on the crank pulley, so you find TDC watching the valve train. The earlier timing marks are to the right, retard marks to the left. If you have one mark , don't assume it is right, you could have any kind of pulley on your car.

On a a Type IV engine, there is a mark on the pulley and a scale, so now the advance portion is on the left part of the scale, retard to the right of the scale. Because the reference point is reversed, the mark positions Are reversed.

009 are usually best setup with full advance at 3000 rpm, after confirming the advance is working smoothly.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: 009 Timing, I'm Sorry. Reply with quote

Wrongside wrote:
It seems the 009 is a very ubiquitous distributor

Actually it's become a generic term for mechanical only distributor.

It all depends on which one you have. Bosch 009, both German and Brazilian, have a known curve and advance (22*). Aftermarket ones are all over the map with the advance ranging from 14-44*.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: 009 Timing, I'm Sorry. Reply with quote

Your best bet is to post pictures of what you have, both your crank pulley and your dizzy. Its complicated and simple at the same tim. You can get a timing light to do it completely or you can just static time it as seen here..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=787INwvir24

1970 Bus Westfalia
1964 Kombi
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: 009 Timing, I'm Sorry. Reply with quote

khalimadeath wrote:
Your best bet is to post pictures of what you have, both your crank pulley and your dizzy. Its complicated and simple at the same tim. You can get a timing light to do it completely or you can just static time it as seen here..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=787INwvir24

Geez, why don't you post a video of setting the timing on a '69 Ford? It would be just as applicable to timing a Type 4 VW engine as what you did post.
NoBudgetVWGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 009 Timing, I'm Sorry. Reply with quote

Sorry to drag up this post but felt my question stems from this thread...

Currently working on a 1972 Transporter, it is running a 1700 (W Code) Engine and dual 40 Webers.
The problem I am having is it is really hard to start. After I finally get it started and check the timing, the mark is showing 40 (to the left of zero) If I try to put the timing mark where it belongs, the engine dies.
Engine seems to run fine once started.
Also I'm wondering if I am adjusting my valves correctly with the pointer so far off.
Should I be timing this with the marks straight up like a porsche??
PS. I did install a Bus pulley

Thanks for any insight
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 009 Timing, I'm Sorry. Reply with quote

Maybe some pics of your pulley, the marks and the scale would help.
Also have a look at this: http://www.ratwell.com/technical/FindTimingMark.html

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 009 Timing, I'm Sorry. Reply with quote

I used to static time my type IV
that was back in the last century, timing gun is 100% better, you get
to witness idle & working speed advance, to verify all is good, meaning you won't cook your engine, which is getting hard to find out there these 21st century days.
Static timing sucks & is dangerous to your antique. F' it.
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 009 Timing, I'm Sorry. Reply with quote

40 degrees is bonkers. I'm sure this is obvious, but don't drive it like this for any significant amount of time.
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 009 Timing, I'm Sorry. Reply with quote

is it the blue 72 in your sig? it looks like you have the timing scale on there, so my guess would be the timing mark isnt correct on the pulley?

look at the urkelgrue thread in my sig, I still have a porsche fan in there, but busdaddy walked me through finding the right mark. (i had to use the straw test and all that)

You might have had a PO mark it wrong.

this thread might be of interest:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8403895&highlight=#8403895

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=771024&highlight=
NoBudgetVWGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 009 Timing, I'm Sorry. Reply with quote

Hey all. Thanks for the replies. I'll get some pics posted.

It is not the 72 in my signature.. although it does have a stock bus timing scale

40 degrees is nuts.. but that is where it runs.. and kinda well I might add when I can get it started.

I static timed it a d checked timing.. At idle it is on the 40.

I'll do some suggested reading.

1972 Sportsmobile in question

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Rotor is here for number 1..

Timing Mark is close to the 40 on the timing scale.

If I move it to where the timing Mark is at 0.. It will not start at all
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 009 Timing, I'm Sorry. Reply with quote

Are you clipping the light pickup on the wire that actually leads to the RF cylinder?, or the wire that's located over that notch?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
NoBudgetVWGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 009 Timing, I'm Sorry. Reply with quote

Yes. That one goes to number 1 cylinder.

Crazy thing is he drove from Low Angeles area to BBB and back like this.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 009 Timing, I'm Sorry. Reply with quote

Hmmm....., I wonder if the key in the end of the crank has sheared or is missing?

Слава Україні!
NoBudgetVWGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 009 Timing, I'm Sorry. Reply with quote

I think I got it. Carbs had a basic start adjustment on them. Cranked in the idles so it was idling real high then set the timing then re set the carbs.

Now I believe I have a problem with the carbs. Lol still temperamental to start but not nearly as bad.
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 009 Timing, I'm Sorry. Reply with quote

You still need to be absolutely certain that your valve adjustment and your timing are correct before you go adjusting the carbs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 009 Timing, I'm Sorry. Reply with quote

It's been a while since I've had a type IV but I believe the mark you have sitting near 40 is not the timing mark.

I really find this explanation the easiest, frankly, for the timing mark http://type2.com/library/electrip/timemark.htm.

Send a thanks to Steve Dolan in the great VW bus campout in the sky.

Your timing mark is going to be closer to that fan bolt in the top of the pic you posted. It might be the notch, if that is a notch, sitting around 12 degrees, but it's hard to say from that photo.

Points, timing, then carbs. It's not time for you to mess with the carbs.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf

Last edited by nemobuscaptain on Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:15 pm; edited 10 times in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: