Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

009 Timing, I'm Sorry.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 009 Timing, I'm Sorry. Reply with quote

You need to get your timing mark set according to Ratwell and then once the timing is right worry about the other stuff.
NoBudgetVWGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 009 Timing, I'm Sorry. Reply with quote

Ok. Got the engine running and starting a while whole lot better.
Timing is currently set at 28 degrees at full advance.
My carbs were not tunes up enough to get it going previously.
I filed on Mark to see it better.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm going to check the valves now then mess with the carbs once she warms up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NoBudgetVWGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: 009 Timing, I'm Sorry. Reply with quote

Working on Toaster now. ( Bus in my sig)
Same deal. At idle the timing Mark is at 28... full advance and it's past 40.
If I time it down to where it's supposed to be it starts popping and backfiring through driver side carb and exhaust.
I have video of it. I'll try to post it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 009 Timing, I'm Sorry. Reply with quote

NoBudgetVWGarage wrote:
Working on Toaster now. ( Bus in my sig)
Same deal. At idle the timing Mark is at 28... full advance and it's past 40.
If I time it down to where it's supposed to be it starts popping and backfiring through driver side carb and exhaust.
I have video of it. I'll try to post it.

Re read that Ratwell link and make sure you know what your real timing mark is. Maybe it's the photo but it STILL looks like you are using the wrong mark, but maybe it's the angle of the photo. It would definitely backfire through the carbs if it's got that much advance. I seriously doubt it would run at 28 degrees at idle.

Find the right timing mark and set it at about 30 full advance.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
NoBudgetVWGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 009 Timing, I'm Sorry. Reply with quote

Back at it. Trying to get ready for Prado/Blackstar Campout.
I changed my intake gaskets with new ones from CB Performance. Helped with the adjustment of the carbs and no more popping out of the exhaust.
While I had the engine out and apart I double checked my timing marks

The timing situation is still the same. Idle is around 28 degrees and at high rpm it goes off the scale past 40 degrees. I'll rev the RPM's up and try to lower the timing to a decent level and I get a bunch of popping through the carbs with flames and runs like crap. Beginning to think the distributor (009) may be at fault? Seems to run great where it is, but I need to know where my timing is to feel comfortable.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 009 Timing, I'm Sorry. Reply with quote

I would march those spark plug wires around the cap one notch and see what happens.

I would find a better distributor (it would hard to find a worse one).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 009 Timing, I'm Sorry. Reply with quote

Verify you have a bus pulley and not a 914. Verify that the pulley is on correctly and the alignment dowel is not out of place.

Take the right valve cover off find true TDC via the #1 valves, mark the pulley with chalk at TDC then do it again to verify.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 009 Timing, I'm Sorry. Reply with quote

The mark is properly located as shown in this photo

The mark you are using isn't doesn't appear to be even close to what this photo shows.
NoBudgetVWGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 009 Timing, I'm Sorry. Reply with quote

That is how I verified my timing Mark while the engine was out. Pulley is original to my bus. Home sick today with food poisoning.. so maybe a little later today I'll go out and mess with it again.
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 009 Timing, I'm Sorry. Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

The mark you are using isn't doesn't appear to be even close to what this photo shows.

For a second there, I thought I was crazy. Glad it isn't just me.

I'm not sure exactly what is going on, but I can assure you that if it runs at 42 degrees advance, it isn't the right timing mark.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf

Last edited by nemobuscaptain on Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Westfalia73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: 009 Timing, I'm Sorry. Reply with quote

nemobuscaptain wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

For a second there, I thought I was crazy. Glad it isn't just me.

WT and NBC I agree with you that the timing mark looks to be well off in the op's picture, that picture is deceiving though, just to be sure in my own mind I went out into the garage and eyeballed mine and it is not in the same position as the op's pic Very Happy
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 009 Timing, I'm Sorry. Reply with quote

NoBudgetVWGarage if you timing light has a little dial on it? Set it to (0).
NoBudgetVWGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: 009 Timing, I'm Sorry. Reply with quote

No Dial on the timing light. I'm going to double check the timing marks on BOTH of the busses i'm working on.

I see in the one pic I took above I may be referenced wrong (Oarnge 72- 1.7L)

Mine I double checked the mark when the pulley was off last week. (Blue 72- 2.0L)
but will do it again to confirm.

The Blue 72 (profile pic) made the trek to BlackStar this past weekend with no issues. Just don't like not knowing where i'm at.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: