Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DORIGTT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

Wow! Nice wheel setup!

Where are you having that done?
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

That’s some kick ass German engineering Sir!

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Inchpincher61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

Thank you guys...

These are made in Poland by a company named "Gedeichselt" >> check on Facebook.

Two years ago I bought a set for my beetle there and I was really amazed by the quality.

After selling them I knew I would need a set for the Ghia as well but they will be only for show. For daily driving i will go with the classic 15" steelies. YOLO Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

If you have not painted the car yet make sure to do a test spray of the Dolphin Blue.
I have seen it mixed without enough blue several times.
I can tell you that the color gets compliments every time the car goes out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Inchpincher61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

Of course.. I have one sample but the car now moved to another shop so I will definitely request an new one.

Plan B is to switch to Strato Silver. Thats similar the same color just a little more into silver. But its the same thing there with the blue note it depends on the formula. I think I can tell you more in the next weeks...
Inchpincher61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

FINALLY !!!!

...only a few steps left until the paint is done... it was some kind of a journey but I think it was all worth the waiting! Stay tuned

@djway3474 ...I just received these pics from the paintshop but I think the dolphin is blue enough Laughing

djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

Looking good
Wait until you roll ou into the sunshine Cool
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

Great color! This will be gorgeous with all the chrome, trim, and parts back together. Nice work.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

Lets see it in the sunshine Cool
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
TRS63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

Wow, now that is beautiful😍

Antoine
My 914 restoration&lightweight project :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9698432#9698432
Resurrecting a 60 ghia : https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713906
My 52 Standard Zwitter :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10086685#10086685
Inchpincher61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

DOLPHIN DONE !!!

The Ghia is back at home and the color is sooo stunning... choosing a color was not an easy decision but now I can say it was the right one! Very Happy

Really nice Job from StrahlwerkDeluxe. I cannot wait to get this thing back together.

Here are some Snapshots....enjoy....

[/b]
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

Lovely! What a huge milestone you've reached with your restoration!
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

BEAUTIFUL
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

Congrats!
It’s all fun and trepidation from here.
Fun as you complete different things. Trepidation over whoopsies.
Whoops, I put too much adhesive on that seal.
Whoops, my fingernail scratched the paint trying to get the adhesive off.
Whoops, I leaned against it to heavily and my pants scuffed it.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
Inchpincher61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

Thank you guys!!

Its indeed a big step to have the paint on the car.

@Jeffrey - I guess the assembly is a huge challenge and sometimes a nightmare for sure. I hope that I can avoid damages or scratches during the assembly but I know that sometime there will be the first scratch Rolling Eyes

So let’s start....
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

To avoid scratches, try getting some old blankets (or cheap new ones) then use masking tape to attach them to the car. The tape goes on places that are hidden from normal use and the blankets are cut into sizes that make a best fit to wrap over section of the car.
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Inchpincher61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

@Nicholas - I will do my very best. At the moment I used some "thick" blankets and I have also ordered a "family box" of masking tape. Very Happy

I started with the air mixers and instruments. Driver side fit quite good but the passenger is a nightmare. I think I have to cut the downtube and weld it back together after having it in place. I hope I am not the only one asking himselfs who designed this part Laughing

Anyway its so good to take parts from the stack of boxes an getting them into their final place. Next step is the electrics...as soon as this is done I can put the body back on the pan.

In the meantime I finally received the SA sprint stars. I am not sure about the matt finish yet but I wanted them to look close to the originals...

udo dreisoerner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

fantastic Color, wow, congrats from Germany
Inchpincher61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

Another month since my last post.... Rolling Eyes

Unfortunately I didn´t find the time I really wanted to use on the Ghia but at least I made some progress in the "trunk".

I rebuild the fresh air controls with new control arms from Airhead Parts:

Now everything is in place and I hope that I never have to remove them in my entire life. Laughing

Furthermore I wanted to finish the wiring before putting it back on the pan just to have a - lets say - ergonomic workplace by standing in the tank cutout instead of leaning over the freshly painted fenders about 1000 times.

Except of the wire for the battery and the starter I used completely new wires with the correct coloring. I also added some spare wires - you never know.

I placed the regulator in the "black hole" under the backseat and added an additional relay to relieve the ignition lock contacts:

Thats the status quo...

I think I am 85% done.I decided to build a 66/67 harness due to the hazard warning lights that have to work here in Germany. I used the Wolfsbürg West relay to have everything in one box and for being able to use a 66/67 emergency switch.

Whats next...I only need to connect the radio, wiper, turn signal switch and a headlight flasher relay. Afterwards I can start to install the lights all around.

My goal is to have the Ghia back on the pan by the end of September.

Cheers, Rob
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

Nice job on the fresh air controller. What a difference, it looks new. nice work on your wiring too.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: