Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
8URN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

Great project and skills, looking forward to see how this turns out Smile

I nearly bought a terra brown from Holland in the early noughties, loved the colour:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If your looking to restore the interior you can still get the original seat cloth material:

https://www.smsautofabrics.com/products/seat-materials/foreign-cars/volkswagen.php

Did you sell the engine bay sheet metal?
Inchpincher61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

Here are some pictures of the preparation of the fender. I am almost finished with the disassembly...

Furthermore we finished the corrections of the A-Pillar so we can soon move on with the rear end of the car.

Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

Wow, you are replacing the entire rear quarter and not just the outer panel! I am doing major surgery but not sure I would be brave enough to attempt this. Can you please show how you are bracing the body for when you cut the old one out?
Inchpincher61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

@ Mellow Yellow: The first idea was to replace the whole section including the b-pillar but without the inner part you have below the quarter window. BUT we are now thinking about removing the outer wheel shell as well because this is the last chance to remove possible rust between the shell and the fender.

Except of the rear building site we did some progress in the front. We finished the little corner at the bottom of the A-pillar. Unfortunately it was not fixed at all so we connected it to the A-pillar and restored the edge of the fender... here we tried to form this section for beeing able to derive possible rain/water..

Inchpincher61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

Hello Guys,

Its been a while since my last post but we of course made some progress in the meantime. The first goal was to finish the front. After welding on the top of the fender we have added some pewter to avoid centimeters of bondo.

Umfortunately the previous owner uses the same "technology" for the nose. We thought about leaving this section as it is but we were not sure about the rust between the two layers. Finally we wanted to have a continious weld even if the nose would maybe have some dents due to the welding.

AND I think it was the right decision:

So the the front is finished now, the door seems to be in the right position, the door gap is fine as well so its time to prepare the rear fender Smile

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

Very nice work!!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Inchpincher61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

Hello Guys...

due to some other projects the Ghia is growing quite slow but fine I guess...

After stripping the fender we discovered some bigger dents and of course some rust but nothing too bad. Anyway its a lot of work until you have a useable fender for the Ghia....

To see if the fender has almost the same line like the passenger side we have built a simple tool to transfer the shape...

...replaced the rear corner...

...and finished it with some pewter...

...last but not least the lower section has been replaced with the original part that has been cut out the car...

I hope its going to have a good fit on the car...but we will see.
Inchpincher61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

Today I picked up the rear end from plastic blasting and 2K epoxy priming...

Awesome job from "Strahlwerk Deluxe" -> more aircooled stuff on FACEBOOK Cool

Inchpincher61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

Today we have taken a closer look to the fitment of the spare for the engine bay.

Passenger side looks fine.

At the driver side the inner wheel housing just need to be "hammered" back into the right shape... but its still close to the right position.

CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

The engine bay is my next major job on my convertible. How difficult was cutting out the two sides and rear sections ? Is there any thing I should look for ? Thanks

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
Inchpincher61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

It depends on the spare parts you have for the replacement. If you donīt need the old metal you can cut everything out piece by piece. I would recommend to keep the bumper mounts if possible because in my mind these are good reference points. Furthermore you should try not to damage the parts that you keep in the car because this is your future base for the welding... so take your time for the disassembly.
kgj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

Plenty going on here and equally inspiring.
I too will be heading into the engine bay soon so thanks for posting.
I'm watching.
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

Inchpincher61 wrote:
It depends on the spare parts you have for the replacement. If you donīt need the old metal you can cut everything out piece by piece. I would recommend to keep the bumper mounts if possible because in my mind these are good reference points. Furthermore you should try not to damage the parts that you keep in the car because this is your future base for the welding... so take your time for the disassembly.

Thanks for the information. I assume it is held in place by spot we!ds ? I have replacement panels. Which could be welded together prior to install if that is easier.

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe

Timing is everything
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

CiderGuy wrote:
The engine bay is my next major job on my convertible. How difficult was cutting out the two sides and rear sections ? Is there any thing I should look for ? Thanks

I just replaced my entire engine bay on my 62 - battery trays, bumper mounts, lock carrier panel, rear valance and wheel wells. You are lucky because the repro panels are all late style that will suit your 71 without modification. It is all held together with a lot of factory spot welds which you will need to remove carefully.

Note that there are brackets behind the valance and stiffeners under the battery trays that are not reproduced and the inner wheel wells are not reproduced so be careful when you drill out the spot welds.

Make sure you cleco everything in position before welding and trial fit the bumper and engine lid to check all is ok. Also do a template of the original engine opening and check this before welding as well. Also don't forget the small piece of rubber on the back of the battery trays which must be installed before welding - this is the same rubber as used on the hinge pillar cover plates
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
CiderGuy wrote:

I just replaced my entire engine bay on my 62 - battery trays, bumper mounts, lock carrier panel, rear valance and wheel wells. You are lucky because the repro panels are all late style that will suit your 71 without modification. It is all held together with a lot of factory spot welds which you will need to remove carefully.

Note that there are brackets behind the valance and stiffeners under the battery trays that are not reproduced and the inner wheel wells are not reproduced so be careful when you drill out the spot welds.

Make sure you cleco everything in position before welding and trial fit the bumper and engine lid to check all is ok. Also do a template of the original engine opening and check this before welding as well. Also don't forget the small piece of rubber on the back of the battery trays which must be installed before welding - this is the same rubber as used on the hinge pillar cover plates

Thanks great information. Would you have the part number for that rubber piece ? I'm not sure what it is. Thanks !

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe

Timing is everything
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

CiderGuy wrote:
Would you have the part number for that rubber piece ? I'm not sure what it is.

Hi it is part number 141-805-381 - it is also used between the inner fender panels and the nose at the front
Inchpincher61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

@YellowMellow... thanks for the explanation. At the moment the parts are just laying in the car. We are going to fix all parts with screws first before the welding.

@ciderguy... yes everything is put together with spot welds...a lot of spot welds! I drilled out every single spot. Same as I had to do at the new fender. I needed about 10 spot weld cutter drill bits until I had everything dissassembled.

Here is a pic of the mentioned bracket sitting below the battery tray:

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks great information. Would you have the part number for that rubber piece ? I'm not sure what it is. Thanks !

It is the same profile that is used on the mud sills/hinge pillar and up front at leading edge of L/R fender to nose. At KGPR, when I bought for the mud sill it was enough for front and the short approx. 3-4 inch piece in the back.
https://www.karmannghia.com/Door-Hinge-Pillar-Cover-Plate-Seal/item/141-805-381
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Quote:

It is the same profile that is used on the mud sills/hinge pillar and up front at leading edge of L/R fender to nose. At KGPR, when I bought for the mud sill it was enough for front and the short approx. 3-4 inch piece in the back.
https://www.karmannghia.com/Door-Hinge-Pillar-Cover-Plate-Seal/item/141-805-381

Thanks, I'll order them now, I need them also.

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe

Timing is everything
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

Cider, you can see the short section of that rubber seal in the shot below. It's located at the transition of the rear of the flat engine surround panel to the vertical rear panel. Painted body color. This is on my pearl white '64 Ghia cabrio which has original paint in the engine compartment. Yeah, that rear area could use a bit of a cleaning Confused . There is another such seal on the right side, but I don't have a good shot of it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: