Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

Very impressive restoration. Did you paint the fresh air controls ?

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
TRS63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

Clean wiring, well done Cool

Really good work on the fresh air control, I will have to do it too👍👍

Cheers

Antoine
My 914 restoration&lightweight project :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9698432#9698432
Resurrecting a 60 ghia : https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713906
My 52 Standard Zwitter :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10086685#10086685
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

Is there such a thing as wire envy?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

I see 9 prong box in the works. Is it one from WW? Are you planning on emergency flashers too? Do share you plans about the emergency switch.
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Inchpincher61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

Thank you guys.

@CiderGuy No I did not paint them I just took em out of the box.

@Nicolas Yes this is the WW 9 prong box. Here in Germany every car need to have emergency flashers to get it on the road even if the car had none from the factory.

The reason why I used the 9 prong box is because I "forgot" to drill an additional hole into the dash for the switch Rolling Eyes ... but somehow I dont want to drill one because for me there is no perfect place for an additional switch.

So now my plan is to mount the smallest possible switch under the dash - means the 66/67 one but they are quite expensive if you even get one. I had no one for testing so I used a later one (111 953 235 A) and just bought the knob from Chad:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2374009

I am finished with the wiring now and just need to rebuild the headlights.

Some snapshots....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The trim for license plate housing is a stainless steel. I think I bought it from ISP West some years ago. Needed some time to get it into position but I think all together its a good reproduction.

62 Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

Looking great so far!! Keep the progress pictures coming!

62 Type 1 sunroof
64 Ghia hardtop

69 Type 1, 68 Type 1, 73 914 2.0, 76 911S Targa....all gone but not forgotten Smile
TRS63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

That looks really good, thanks for sharing!
Antoine
Resurrecting a 60 ghia : https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713906
My 52 Standard Zwitter :
Inchpincher61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

Short addition...

These are the knobs I have. Second from left is the one from Chad. The right one is the one which came with the switch.

I just had to make a new rosette in M12 because I could only find M10 and M14 in the internet.

Inchpincher61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

Made some progress with the headlights in the last days.

The lowlight rings fit quite good except of one section on the driver side. I think I have not many options because in this section there has been some welding and soldering so the shape is not as excact as original. But all together I think the result is "okay":

Inchpincher61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

Wow I just checked the last post here and recognized that its been about two years ago Shocked

Some of you may think that the Ghia is already on the road but there has been a lot of things playing against it. First of all it had to go back to the paint shop due to obvious zinc polluted solder. Means there have been bubbles all over the solder areas on the driver side which had to be removed mechanically. I was so so disappointed but that's the game and sometimes you have bad luck...especially when you are trying to finish a project as best as you can or better than you did everything before. So the car went back to the shop in March 2021 and it took about a year until I got her back. All those things where very exhausting and had stolen a lot of motivation.

I furthermore switched to a new job and was very busy in the last month so I just made some small progress. I hope 2023 will bring the motivation back and I hope to be on the road soon Smile

Here are some news....

Switched to a 3" narrowed Dogback Beam with cleaned trailing arms:

Customized turn signal switch due to the angle in combination to the Porsche 356 steering wheel. Housing from Wolfsbürg West, T2 switch, stainless steel cover tube and red knob from project therapy:

Last but not least....new tach Cool :

That's it so far. Maybe I will be able to get the body on the pan this year.

Cheers
Rob
TRS63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

Hi Rob,

Happy to see some news here! Those Ghias are really long term projects but it will be worth it !

Keep us updated with the progress !

Antoine
My 52 Standard Zwitter :
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

That sucks about the reaction pimples. I’ve seen that on several 356 Porsches when people used lead or solder.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Inchpincher61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

Indeed!

Here is one example for such an area. There was absolutely no rust below those spots but some black residues / dots. Neither the paint shop nor the bodyshop could tell the reason for that. So we can only assume that the solder/tin was contaminated. So all areas have been stripped down to the metal and we decided to repaint the whole outer shell.

Inchpincher61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

I almost forgot the 356 steering wheel that I want to go with. The problem with those ones is the backside which is definitely not an eye-catcher.

I have seen different not very satisfying creations in some cars but in the most cases it looked like they have build a new hub but honestly I didn´t want to "destroy" a original 356 steering wheel. Furthermore self-made hubs are not street legal here in Germany so I needed some kind of cover.

With the help of a good friend we got this out of the milling machine. I am happy with the outcome and I am looking forward to install it

Cheers Popcorn
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

I can't imagine how disappointing it must have been to discover the problems with the paint & body. I think I would have lost interest for a while as well. Glad that it's all been corrected and I hope you regain your momentum and enjoyment. The color is beautiful and the car is will be amazing. Looking forward to seeing more progress.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Inchpincher61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

Installed some sound detending mats today.

I did some research before but due to better heat resistance I ended up with Dynamat at least for the roof. I just bought one doorkit and used 3 of 4 stripes with just cutting some centimeters in the corners. The mats had a good adhesion and were easy to handle but with 100€ per square meter really expensive.

For the rest of the car I am going to use Killmat I guess. Does anybody have some experiences with those?

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

Ive used Killmat, Rattletrap, Fatmat....
To me they are all the same, butyl w/ alum backing. Thickness and pattern are the only diff i could distinguish.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Inchpincher61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

Thank you Darrel.

I have/had exactly the same problem. I have just checked some reviews on Youtube and Killmat got a quite good feedback in several vids.

I finally finished the tach today and I am quite satisfied with the result. Learned some lessons with this "prototype" so hopefully the next one is going to be bit better Wink

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

Beautiful work on the clock-to-tach conversion. Is the original VDO tach from a late 1960's or early 1970's German car, being 12 volt?
Inchpincher61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 - "San Bernardino" - Ghia Project Reply with quote

@Rome: The one I used is from 1964 with 12V. I bought it as a tach for boats some years ago. I think next time I am going to use a later model.

In fact that this is going to be my last post this year I wish you all the best for 2023! Hopefully 2023 brings enough time to finish this project Pray

Cheers!! Popcorn
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: