Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1980 Tin-Top Camping/Exploring Build --Karmann Vandiego--
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
captmatthew1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:15 am    Post subject: 1980 Tin-Top Camping/Exploring Build --Karmann Vandiego-- Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

Some may recognize me and my van from VOG on Facebook. I wanted to take this opportunity to showcase some of my projects, and maybe give 1 or 2 people the inspiration they need to finish up a project of their own!

http://pnwadventuring.com/wordpress/index.php/the-van/

I am updating and adding to the list of modifications as I have time to upload pictures and content. I am finishing up the custom rear bumper, so be sure to check back soon!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by captmatthew1 on Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:07 am; edited 5 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: My custom mod list Reply with quote

Props for tin-top love. Looks nice.

-Rob
captmatthew1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: My custom mod list Reply with quote

Robw_z wrote:
Props for tin-top love. Looks nice.

-Rob

Thanks! I got this van from my father, who drove it all of my childhood. So it has been a mission of mine to revive and update that same van that hauled my siblings and I around since he bought it when it was a year old.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
captmatthew1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: My custom mod list Reply with quote

I also forgot to mention that I will also be chronicling my custom camper interior build, so be sure to stay tuned for that too.

I look forward to getting to know plenty more Vanagon people here!
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: My custom mod list Reply with quote

Cool!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
captmatthew1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: My custom mod list Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Cool!

Thanks! I really hope people enjoy the read.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: My Vanagon Mod List! Reply with quote

I had to laugh when I saw the 2004 Honda Civic seats, since I own an 04 Civic. They are amazingly durable, I have 272,000 on my Civic and the seats are still fine.

It will be good to see your camper interior build; I just suggest not filling it too much with things like permanent mounted stoves and sinks, but it's your van, so build it the way you want.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
captmatthew1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: My Vanagon Mod List! Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
I had to laugh when I saw the 2004 Honda Civic seats, since I own an 04 Civic. They are amazingly durable, I have 272,000 on my Civic and the seats are still fine.

It will be good to see your camper interior build; I just suggest not filling it too much with things like permanent mounted stoves and sinks, but it's your van, so build it the way you want.

They re durable arent they! They also seem to fit the van pretty well.

My plan for the camp interior is for it to all be modular. I have my family that rides in the van, which means the more seats the better! I am currently building a set of jump seats out of the original front seats that will be removable and replaced with a removable kitchen setup.

Thanks for the comments everyone!
captmatthew1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: My Vanagon Mod List! Reply with quote

I just added a new page for my custom awning build.
Check it out!
captmatthew1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: My Vanagon Mod List! Reply with quote

Got done with my rear bed write up. (the upholstery is not permanent, so dont worry!). Check it out!
captmatthew1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: My Vanagon Mod List! Reply with quote

Some progress pics of the bumper maybe?! Its not anywhere near done, but it shows the shape anyways Laughing

Last edited by captmatthew1 on Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:29 am; edited 1 time in total
captmatthew1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1980 Tin-Top Camping/Exploring Build Reply with quote

I changed the title of the post to be more descriptive of what I'm doing here Wink
captmatthew1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1980 Tin-Top Camping/Exploring Build Reply with quote

Another picture, and some more reading material...enjoy! Click Here!

Last edited by captmatthew1 on Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:30 am; edited 1 time in total
tates1882
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1980 Tin-Top Camping/Exploring Build Reply with quote

Nice work. I like the honda seats.
captmatthew1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1980 Tin-Top Camping/Exploring Build Reply with quote

tates1882 wrote:
Nice work. I like the honda seats.

Thanks! They were a great upgrade. I may have gone for something more conventional if these hadnt been free! My old horsehair/vinyl seats were really starting to be uncomfortable after 300k miles!
captmatthew1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Tin-Top Camping/Exploring Build Reply with quote

So, as I'm designing the camper interior, I'm contemplating the rear seat. Since I always have rear passengers, I like the idea of having the full width bench seat.

To those who have 2 seats in the rear like a Westy, is the cabinet worth not having that 3rd seat? I am building jump seats, so my seating configuration will still allow atleast 3 rear passengers. I'm just not sure which way to go with this. This is not a full-time camper van, it is mainly used for day camping/outings with occasional overnights.

This is still very much my daily driver/kid mover. Input?
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Tin-Top Camping/Exploring Build Reply with quote

led lamps in the stock dome lights are a nice bright addition for camping, get the larger ones with two rows of leds verses the single row. nice fabrication on the bumper, you doing front one also? I also like the ladder, the roof rack is always hard to get too otherwise.

I do alot of camp trips in my tin top, lots of fun.

also maybe you could down load less resolution photographs. took about a minute for my computer to load this page, almost gave up. lower resolution photographs still will look good, and that will save alot of time for everyone.

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
captmatthew1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Tin-Top Camping/Exploring Build Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
led lamps in the stock dome lights are a nice bright addition for camping, get the larger ones with two rows of leds verses the single row. nice fabrication on the bumper, you doing front one also? I also like the ladder, the roof rack is always hard to get too otherwise.

also maybe you could down load less resolution photographs. took about a minute for my computer to load this page, almost gave up. lower resolution photographs still will look good, and that will save alot of time for everyone.

good luck

I will take that into consideration. I didnt think about it, simply because all of the pictures are hosted on my web server.

Thanks for the compliment! Being able to get up into the roof rack is a must! The front bumper is definitely next! Just have to finish the rear up first. Plenty of projects to do!
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Tin-Top Camping/Exploring Build Reply with quote

captmatthew1 wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:

good luck

I will take that into consideration. I didnt think about it, simply because all of the pictures are hosted on my web server.

Thanks for the compliment! Being able to get up into the roof rack is a must! The front bumper is definitely next! Just have to finish the rear up first. Plenty of projects to do!

loaded a lot faster now, and the photographs still look great, thanks!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
captmatthew1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1980 Tin-Top Camping/Exploring Build Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:

loaded a lot faster now, and the photographs still look great, thanks!

Good! I went through all of the pictures on the server and resized them. It took a while, but everything should load alot faster.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: