Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake pad question
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:21 pm    Post subject: Brake pad question Reply with quote

Doing the front brakes on my wife's 1969 Ghia, I ordered some Beck/Arnley pads, said they were for 67-74 Ghia..I get the old pads out, and they have TWO holes for the locating pins, the ones I was sent have only ONE. Having never done Ghia brakes before, is there something I have missed? Thanks for any help anyone might provide

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
toddb_67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake pad question Reply with quote

I checked on CIP1 and it seems the single hole pads are correct for a '69.
Here's the link https://www2.cip1.com/vwc-111-698-151-a/

The two hole kind appear to be for a later Ghia.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=714683
1974 Karmann Ghia- current project, 1967cc engine. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=775207
“I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.” - Dudley Field Malone
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Brake pad question Reply with quote

Somewhere along the line your front calipers have been changed to the later 2 pin type. You'll need to get the later 2 pin type pads to match your calipers.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Brake pad question Reply with quote

Get these ceramics. AutoZone I think.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Brake pad question Reply with quote

The two pin calipers are Girling, and were introduced either halfway through 73 or halfway through 74...i can't recall which year offhand. The single pin earlier calipers are ATE brand.

The 74 I used to own had the two pin Girling calipers and I still have a brand new set of unused brake pads that never got installed. Let me know if you want them.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: