Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mike's 72 Super Semi-Resto Thread
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikewilkinson007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Mike's 72 Super Semi-Resto Thread Reply with quote

Winter is here and it's time to get to work. Here is my new to me '72 Super. She is about to undergo a bit of a Resto and I'll be posting my progress here and asking my for advise along the way!

Wish me luck!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mikewilkinson007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 72 Super Semi-Resto Thread Reply with quote

Here are a few more pics.

I added sound deadening at the foot rest area, both doors and under the rear seats. Huge difference. Next will be the pans because they are rust free.

Engine runs now because I made it so. lol. Notice the duct tape holding the pin in the fuel pump and the like cation of the fuel filter. Yes I know and I'll move it soon. Amazing how an oil change, valve and carb adjust, points and plugs can put a bug back on the road.

Baby steps.

mikewilkinson007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 72 Super Semi-Resto Thread Reply with quote

Cleaned out the garage and made room for the Super today. Installed two LED shop lights (Smart Electrician) and gave her a good wash.

She is probably in for the winter. Let the rehab begin!

mikewilkinson007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 72 Super Semi-Resto Thread Reply with quote

So these things look like water traps to me. Should I lose them or are they a good thing?

Boosten Ya(Josh)
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's 72 Super Semi-Resto Thread Reply with quote

That's a really nice car. Needs some TLC but overall that's a great find. Personally Im not a fan of chrome so I would take them off or paint them a different color.

At the end of the day its your car and you do as you wish, not what others wish.

71' Super beetle - prostreet trans 4.10 gear, 1641cc with dual 40 IDFs, W110, and a 1-1/2qt deep oil pan.
Needs: cage, seats, harnesses, better suspension, new wheels, and rear disc brakes.

Almost there....
Chochobeef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's 72 Super Semi-Resto Thread Reply with quote

Boosten Ya(Josh) wrote:
That's a really nice car. Needs some TLC but overall that's a great find. Personally Im not a fan of chrome so I would take them off or paint them a different color.

At the end of the day its your car and you do as you wish, not what others wish.

Some goods words here. It is your car, so your style whatever that may be is what you should do. For me, those chrome fender guards are ugly, and take away from the car. They are a distraction from the essence of the simpleness of these vehicles.

The strips the originally came on the car are fine imo. Those I would clean up and make em as nice as you can. You might want to ditch the chrome beauty rings as well. Maybe get the wheels painted a nice silver or black? Again my opinion. Enjoy it for what it is and have fun doing it. Very Happy
mikewilkinson007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 72 Super Semi-Resto Thread Reply with quote

Thanks! I was never concerned with what people would think of the look. It's my ride! But worries if people had trouble with rust underneath those little chrome thingys.

Kinda like the Marina Blue on the car. Probably stick with it! But the wheels will have to change. Not a fan of the blue there. I like the chrome rings tho. Can't help it Wink
Boosten Ya(Josh)
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 72 Super Semi-Resto Thread Reply with quote

Pull the chrome chingas' off and see what's underneath.

71' Super beetle - prostreet trans 4.10 gear, 1641cc with dual 40 IDFs, W110, and a 1-1/2qt deep oil pan.
Needs: cage, seats, harnesses, better suspension, new wheels, and rear disc brakes.

Almost there....
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 72 Super Semi-Resto Thread Reply with quote

Nice car!

The rear fender's gravel guards tend to be more useful than the fronts. The rears do provide a layer of protection from pebbles thrown up by the front tires. You certainly can remove all of them and see how good the paint is underneath them. If the rear fenders are not so good underneath the guards, then treat the metal as to rust, apply a close blue color, and install the rear guards again.

Rear wheels appear to be SportsBug wheels from a '73. They are 5.5" wide compared to the fronts which are most likely 4.5" wide. If you look closely between the flat sections of the wheel outboard of the lug bolts, you should see the width (5.5x15). The wheel offset is often stamped into another of those flats. Typical would be ET26 (SportsBug), ET40 or ET41 (Porsche 914) or 4.5" width and ET34, ET41 or higher like on the front wheels. The chrome trim rings and silver would look good; spray paint is sufficient but a good prep of the wheel surface is a must. You could also try the chrome rings and gunmetal grey rim color; this would not "hide" the wheel "+" pattern like black would.

From the gallery:
Left Wheel - Porsche 914 5.5" Wide / ET40
Center Wheel - VW 4.5" Wide / ET41
Right Wheel - 73 Sports Bug Wheel 5.5" Wide / ET26

You can see some of those numbers stamped outboard of the bolt holes on this SportsBug wheel-
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 72 Super Semi-Resto Thread Reply with quote

Looks great!

Red 1971 Squareback Thread
Red 1966 Beetle Thread
---------------------------------------------------
1971 Green Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Ghia (sold)
1971 Blue Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Java Green Std Beetle (sold)
1971 Red Squareback (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikewilkinson007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 72 Super Semi-Resto Thread Reply with quote

Mr.Duncan wrote:
Looks great!

Coming from you sir....that's an honor!
mikewilkinson007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 72 Super Semi-Resto Thread Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Nice car!

Rear wheels appear to be SportsBug wheels from a '73. They are 5.5" wide compared to the fronts which are most likely 4.5" wide. If you look closely between the flat sections of the wheel outboard of the lug bolts, you should see the width (5.5x15). The wheel offset is often stamped into another of those flats. Typical would be ET26 (SportsBug), ET40 or ET41 (Porsche 914) or 4.5" width and ET34, ET41 or higher like on the front wheels. The chrome trim rings and silver would look good; spray paint is sufficient but a good prep of the wheel surface is a must. You could also try the chrome rings and gunmetal grey rim color; this would not "hide" the wheel "+" pattern like black would.

From the gallery:
Left Wheel - Porsche 914 5.5" Wide / ET40
Center Wheel - VW 4.5" Wide / ET41

Right Wheel - 73 Sports Bug Wheel 5.5" Wide / ET26

You can see some of those numbers stamped outboard of the bolt holes on this SportsBug wheel-

Great stuff! The rears are indeed 5.5. I'll check for the offset etc but I had a 73 SB Sport and assumed that's what they were. I didn't consider gunmetal until now! But silver is in the menu.

Can I use a scuff pad for prep or do I need to sand and primer?
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's 72 Super Semi-Resto Thread Reply with quote

Mike, check closely for any anomalies in the rims. If possible, have them blasted. After the silver, spray on a nice clear coat.

By the way, your paint looks great in the pictures.

You might want to get a stock air cleaner, and hook up the fresh air hoses.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's 72 Super Semi-Resto Thread Reply with quote

I just noticed that the left front fender does not have its gravel guard; only the right front does. So you can take a photo of the left side of the car, then rotate it horizontally to simulate the right side of the car to get the effect of the "removed" guard.
mikewilkinson007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 72 Super Semi-Resto Thread Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
I just noticed that the left front fender does not have its gravel guard; only the right front does. So you can take a photo of the left side of the car, then rotate it horizontally to simulate the right side of the car to get the effect of the "removed" guard.

It was off to check the paint underneath...LOL. It's back on now.
mikewilkinson007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 72 Super Semi-Resto Thread Reply with quote

I'm going to remove the fronts for sure. I live in the country and have to drive about a half mile on gravel before I hit the black top so ill keep the rears for now. I go about 10 MPH on the gravel....Hate it.
mikewilkinson007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 72 Super Semi-Resto Thread Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Mike, check closely for any anomalies in the rims. If possible, have them blasted. After the silver, spray on a nice clear coat.

By the way, your paint looks great in the pictures.

You might want to get a stock air cleaner, and hook up the fresh air hoses.

Tim

Thanks Tom, it's in pretty good shape paint wise.

As for the engine, I'm not going to do much of anything with it. It is an H motor (69?) single port and I'm not a fan of those engine cases at all. I have it running well enough to get me by till I build a new one and swap it out. Not even sure yet where the "new" motor is coming from or what size it will be but I'm pretty sure the existing engine is not going to be invited to the party.
mikewilkinson007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 72 Super Semi-Resto Thread Reply with quote

ET 41 Fronts

ET 26 Rear
mikewilkinson007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 72 Super Semi-Resto Thread Reply with quote

Pics:

Chrome thingy on.

Chrome thingy removed.

After cleaning.

mikewilkinson007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 72 Super Semi-Resto Thread Reply with quote

Front bumper came off with out a hitch.

Also, put sound deadening in the passenger door so that completes that project minus the pans.

Here she is without the front bumper.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: