Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Carbon emission - YES or NO to import my VW Kombi 1.6 Brazil
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWKOMBI1997BRAZIL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:37 am    Post subject: Carbon emission - YES or NO to import my VW Kombi 1.6 Brazil Reply with quote

My girl and I recently bought a VW kombi from 1997:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It might not be an old or special one but we like this one very much because of its renewed engine ( type UG, 1.6) and the fact thats a reliable one, suitable for bringing us in the next couple of months around south america.

However, we face the problem that we fall in love for this van and would like to bring het to The Netherlands. This will bring the following problems with here:

Will she pass the carbon monoxide emission test here?

In order to search for answers I need to know the following:

1) what kind of fuel system does my van have
2) does it have any type of emission regulation system?
3) am I correct with this file: 0,5% CO ad idling rpm?
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-QfhARwD8jsU/VMomRJtg4VI/AAAAAAAAFtY/1sO1ULXMTBY/s1600/page0175.jpg

If someone knows more about this engine and her CO emission please help me out here!.

Furthermore im looking for the service manual, does anyone knows the way to find it?
kooper271
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Carbon emission - YES or NO to import my VW Kombi 1.6 Brazil Reply with quote

The only advice I can offer is to talk to the seller or your broker.
OrangeZA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Carbon emission - YES or NO to import my VW Kombi 1.6 Brazil Reply with quote

Hi VWKOMBI1997BRAZIL,

I love your new Kombi, it looks really tidy in the photos you posted. Hopefully you will have lots of fun with it in South America. What are your plans with it? Could you take some more photos of it? Maybe post up some photos of the engine bay and the running gear. Do you have much experience with these vehicles?

A quick Google, highlights that the ‘UG’ engine will be an unusual machine to European and North American eyes. With strange cylinder heads and the combustion chambers in the top of the piston. http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=456492

I have 2 links that may be useful to you, how is your Portuguese?
This is the official repair manual for the “UG’ engine from November 1988
http://oficinavw.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/manual-de-reparacao-kombi-motor.html
It says the CO reading should be between 2.5 and 3%. I guess yours is fitted with a catalytic converter to reduce it down to 0.5%. I would expect the engine to be fitted with twin PDSIT carburettors.

The other link is for the electrical system and is dated February 1987
http://oficinavw.blogspot.co.uk/2011/04/manual-de-reparacao-da-kombi-90-ate-96.html

Hopefully things didn’t change that much over the years and most of the information is still relevant. It looks like you have one of the very last hybrid style Brazilian Type 2s which are a mixture of T1 and T2 German Type 2s.

I’m not sure how easy it will be for you to import your vehicle back to the Netherlands, it would be best to talk with someone with experience there. I recently imported a South African T3 into Scotland. All I had to fit a fog light to it so that it would pass our annual safety and emission inspection (MOT), as all UK specification cars of its vintage had to have one. I didn’t need a 'Certificate of Conformity' as the vehicle was over 10 years old. Hopefully the situation in the Netherlands is just as easy.

More photos please!
VWKOMBI1997BRAZIL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Carbon emission - YES or NO to import my VW Kombi 1.6 Brazil Reply with quote

Hi Guy's,

WoW!! I have driven the van and really, that's amazing!!

I did some shopping for camping gear in the city São Paulo, that's something different then in Amsterdam, and that without power steering Smile.

I discovered that the van has a emission system, cathalisator. I will search for a test here but I doubt if she or he (?) will pas the test for 0,5% as idle. Without the system it's allowed to reach 3,5%...

Does enybody knows if it's possible to change the system to an 'old system' without the CAD?

Changing only the exhaust will do?
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Carbon emission - YES or NO to import my VW Kombi 1.6 Brazil Reply with quote

I would think that it would be hard to import because of safety standards not emissions. That's the case here in the US.
’65 Deluxe Build
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Carbon emission - YES or NO to import my VW Kombi 1.6 Brazil Reply with quote

get a hold of an car import broker in the Netherlands and see what they say. Or call the government agency that oversees importing automobiles into the Netherlands.
VWKOMBI1997BRAZIL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Carbon emission - YES or NO to import my VW Kombi 1.6 Brazil Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The safety arrangements will not be a (big) problem, I sorted that out.

The thing is that importing this car is not common because they are less profitable in terms of money. I spoke to a broker/importer and he said that the 3,5% would not be an issue without cat. With one the 0,5 is - if I should believe the manual- also not the problem. Be I would like to now for sure.

I can bring some spare parts with me, like the exhaust system etc, bumpers and a fog light. Getting that in Europe will be hard.

Sunday I will leave São Paulo and go into the inlands. Smile
VWKOMBI1997BRAZIL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Carbon emission - YES or NO to import my VW Kombi 1.6 Brazil Reply with quote

Here's the Numbers of the van!

I will try to post some more pictures later,

Does anyone has an idea for the exhaust / emission problem?
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Carbon emission - YES or NO to import my VW Kombi 1.6 Brazil Reply with quote

would not be better to post on a Dutch forum?

anyway until you get a better answer, to import a car to europe must pass the euro regulations of the year of build.

I would say om 1997 europe had already regulations concerning emissions.
VWKOMBI1997BRAZIL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Carbon emission - YES or NO to import my VW Kombi 1.6 Brazil Reply with quote

Hi,

I know all the regulation, is stated above in my post. However I'm not sure my Van will pass. Smile

So to be sure I'm investigating possibilities to improve the emission system or to delete it in total so my Van fits another regulation (3,5%)
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Carbon emission - YES or NO to import my VW Kombi 1.6 Brazil Reply with quote

Seems like a local auto club should be able to answer this with one conversation.

There was an orange bus on here from the Netherlands that toured the world 2X and I bet that guy would know.
(sold - but not forgotten)
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Carbon emission - YES or NO to import my VW Kombi 1.6 Brazil Reply with quote

BUSBOSS wrote:
Seems like a local auto club should be able to answer this with one conversation.

There was an orange bus on here from the Netherlands that toured the world 2X and I bet that guy would know.

Those two guys live in Bussum, NL and their Westy was a 78.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: