Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oily smell when heater is on?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zigstardust65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject: Oily smell when heater is on? Reply with quote

I have a '67 Sundial and am planning a long trip Winter. I usually don't use the heater because when it's on, there's a really strong oily smell in the cab. This is only present when the heater is on and is undetectable when the heater's off.

So a few questions:

1. Can this smell be coming from anywhere other than the heater boxes?
2. Is it possible there is oil inside the heater boxes, and if so, how can it get in there?
3. I know there is a bit of oil leaking from the valve cover gaskets on the outside of the heater boxes, could this be the culprit?
4. If the heater boxes do have oil inside, what's the best way to clean them out? (Hopefully the answer doesn't involve yanking the motor Rolling Eyes )

Thanks in advance for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60freak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Oily smell when heater is on? Reply with quote

1. Not really, it's most likely from the heater boxes. Although if the cylinders have junk/gunk on them it can be the culprit to the smell also.

2. Yes, leaky valve cover gaskets

3. Yes

4. Yank them off and clean them out, and make sure valve cover gaskets are not leaking

There always seems to be an oily smell regardless but it should not be a burning oil smell! Best thing to do if you want to be thorough, is to remove the motor and take off all the tin and inspect the cylinders and clean the heater boxes out. Then reassemble. Good luck.
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Oily smell when heater is on? Reply with quote

It normally does not smell.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Oily smell when heater is on? Reply with quote

Generally smelly heat is exhaust smell from a bad muffler.
Sometimes you can reseal the connections, sometimes you need a new muffler.
I've been catching a whiff of exhaust smell in my bug recently, time to check it out. The heat should not smell. Sometimes re-sealing at the donuts makes it good for a couple more years.
stale air heat would send oil smells into the heat if your engine is leaking oil.

I'd fix the the oil leaks on the motor, and check heater connections and the state of the muffler. fix as needed.

You can take the bus to a self serve car wash to clean off the heater boxes.
if oil is dripping inside and burning, it will burn off eventually, but not the stuff on the outside of the heat box. But if you have had an oil leak for a while and just turned the heat off instead of fixing it it may be an icky engine compartment.
Don't pressure spray the fresh air hoses.

engine pic?
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Oily smell when heater is on? Reply with quote

I had the same or similar issue in my double cab up to a couple weeks ago. Although it was not a "burning" smell, it was ostensibly only exhaust leaking from several points of connection at the muffler, etc.

I sealed it all up [generously] with hi-temp RTV around the donuts, then re-clamped and tightened everything, giving a day or so before I drove the truck again. It seems to have worked for me in curtailing the smell in the cab, although there is still that old car smell we all know so well. Best of luck, check your exhaust connections, and good luck!

Cheers.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Oily smell when heater is on? Reply with quote

Oil getting onto the muffler can get pretty smelly in the interior.

Is the sheet metal around the HE pipes, tight to the pipes? If not need to get new sheet metal welded in place, and probably new pipes welded to the ends of the HEs so the donut seals will seal. Repro HEs do not work well so better to fix OG ones.
zigstardust65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Oily smell when heater is on? Reply with quote

Here are some pics I took before heading out to work. In taking these, I realized the ducts going to the body aren't completely sealed to the heater boxes.

I also noticed the heater boxes are bolted to the muffler rather than using the donut/clamp method. Is this just a different method of clamping them together?

It seems like the heater boxes are pretty well sealed and were gone through before the engine was rebuilt not too many miles ago. I just don't see how oil could have gotten in them?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Oily smell when heater is on? Reply with quote

HEs look like repros. The bolt on is an attempt to seal there better than the stock setup. That valve cover looks like it is leaking. Having oil constantly baste the HEs, and spray coat the muffler is not helping.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Oily smell when heater is on? Reply with quote

zigstardust65 wrote:
Here are some pics I took before heading out to work. In taking these, I realized the ducts going to the body aren't completely sealed to the heater boxes.

This may be the issue - you might just be sucking in an oily smell because of the leak.

Seal that up and clean up the engine and see if it clears up.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Oily smell when heater is on? Reply with quote

Engine looks nice! Needs stock hose clamps on top and bottom of each fresh air paper tube. Vacuum line should have about half or less of the flex line lengths on each end. Fuel line should be a little longer and end up passing thru the hump of the vacuum line.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Oily smell when heater is on? Reply with quote

Oil is not getting so much into the HEs, but the fumes of it burning off the HEs and muffler is getting sucked thru the engine to body seals. If open connection to the body pipes was the main factor the oil smell would be pretty constant whether heat was on or off with front windows slightly open.
zigstardust65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Oily smell when heater is on? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
zigstardust65 wrote:

This may be the issue - you might just be sucking in an oily smell because of the leak.

Seal that up and clean up the engine and see if it clears up.

I thought that may be the issue too Everett, but if this is where the smell is coming from, wouldn't I smell it even when the heater is off? I only have this smell when the heater knob is turned to "open."

Also, what would be the best method of sealing these to the HE's? Large hose clamps?
zigstardust65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Oily smell when heater is on? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Oil is not getting so much into the HEs, but the fumes of it burning off the HEs and muffler is getting sucked thru the engine to body seals. If open connection to the body pipes was the main factor the oil smell would be pretty constant whether heat was on or off with front windows slightly open.

This makes sense. So the engine compartment may always have the burning oil smell, it's just that when the valves are open that it comes into the cab. Hmmmm...
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Oily smell when heater is on? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
HEs look like repros.

Even though the attachment is flange I think the boxes are OG castings as they have this: aftermakets don't.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Oily smell when heater is on? Reply with quote

zigstardust65 wrote:

Also, what would be the best method of sealing these to the HE's? Large hose clamps?

Pull each steel flex hose (Inside the insulation tube shown in the image) back and over the HEs snout. That should do it.
zigstardust65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Oily smell when heater is on? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
zigstardust65 wrote:

Pull each steel flex hose (Inside the insulation tube shown in the image) back and over the HEs snout. That should do it.

Thanks, I'll have to try that when I get home tonight. Hopefully if these are re-attached and the oil is cleaned up, the smell will be gone.

Is the only way to clean the inside of the HEs is to pull the engine? Can they be removed while the engine is still in? (I know access to them is pretty easy with the engine out.)
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Oily smell when heater is on? Reply with quote

1. Cleaning the HB's probably won't get rid of your oil odor because your boxes are really saturated, which means the oil has seeped inside and coated everything from the interior. The only possible way that might help is removing them and having them boil cleaned at a machine shop. You need heat and lots of it. Soap and water won't cut it.

2. Fix your oil leaks first, otherwise this is in vain. I recommend WW's silicone gaskets, they're expensive but worth it. Bend the VC bails so they're really tight.

3. Disconnect your heater box to body tubes so you are not pumping oily fumes into the car. Run the engine on fast idle with the heat on so the oily fumes are being blasted into the air. Take an acetylene torch and heat/glow the skins of the heater box to bake off any oily film on the inside. The smoke coming from the boxes will be considerable! Accessing the inside facing surfaces (near the pushrod tubes) will be a challenge. If you don't have acetylene, try propane.

This worked on mine and got all of the oily odor gone.

Good Luck!
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hugheseum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Oily smell when heater is on? Reply with quote

just one of the many horrible things a aircooled car is privy to......you can fix n boil n clean n spray.....vw heat is nasty shit......also once you have smelled the oily stuff realize the whole tube from front to back has a layer of soot that will be constantly warming/cooling and sometimes even smoking......early buses get it even worse......
oldthingguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Oily smell when heater is on? Reply with quote

My dad's old 911 and almost every VW I have owned had this problem, I thought it was something they designed into their cars. Smile
Either valve cover gasket or bad heater hose I would say.
64 notch - gone
60 23 window - gone
57 oval - gone
plus a few others I should have kept
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Oily smell when heater is on? Reply with quote

oldthingguy wrote:
My dad's old 911 and almost every VW I have owned had this problem, I thought it was something they designed into their cars. Smile
Either valve cover gasket or bad heater hose I would say.

hugheseum wrote:
just one of the many horrible things a aircooled car is privy to......you can fix n boil n clean n spray.....vw heat is nasty shit......also once you have smelled the oily stuff realize the whole tube from front to back has a layer of soot that will be constantly warming/cooling and sometimes even smoking......early buses get it even worse......

Oddly enough I don't seem to have this problem. I've also heard people say that sloppy steering and poor brakes are part of the VW experience.
But in fact that is delayed maintenance, and completely fixable. And the bus is much pleasanter to drive after being fixed.
Ya, it is work to go under there are and fix things. Sometimes it means buying new parts and wiping up oil spills, but it is possible to have good heat and generally it is not that much work.
It tends to be more work to cut down on drafts which come from rust holes and all the seals being old.

I would start with new valve cover gaskets.
Wipe down oil leaks,
Don't worry about taking the heater boxes out and cleaning them. Just get it so the oil stops leaking onto them. Once it stops getting oil on them the oil will burn off.
seal up where the heat goes towards the bus.
check for any other gaps in the heat path.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: