Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tropical Cylinder Air Deflector aka Super Cool tins
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Three56SC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Tropical Cylinder Air Deflector aka Super Cool tins Reply with quote

I have a set of the 'tropical' air deflectors that go under the cylinders. These are more of a wrap-around style rather than the flat deflector that's usually found.
Any thoughts on using them? I'm building a relatively stock motor with 92mm barrels, mild Engle cam and not sure which carburetor(s) yet.
Thanks!
USMCbug
Samba Yoda

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Tropical Cylinder Air Deflector Reply with quote

I used them on a 1641 I did for one of my old bugs. I thought they worked well. I would recommend that you safety wire them to the cylinder studs as I think mine came lose once.
65 Split Window Bus
79 Baywindow Bus
71 Super Beetle (current)

"When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the
scabbard."
- General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Tropical Cylinder Air Deflector Reply with quote

X2 on the safety wire-

I use them every chance I get.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Tropical Cylinder Air Deflector Reply with quote

Correct, they do work fine.
Seem to recall (from long ago) that they're possibly native to a T3?
Anyway, I ended up using some common 8" long tension springs to keep them tightly in place on my 2074 (2 springs on each side).
Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Tropical Cylinder Air Deflector Reply with quote

never heard of the tropickel kind. sound sort of like the type 3 kind that I use. Ive never had to safty wire them.But there are 2 diferent ones...one set for 10mm stud and 1 set for 8mm studs.although you dont usualy see the size listed.So.... I custom fit them so they fit the way I want them to. also they may need trimming and bending on the sections that are bent up that the air escapes through as they may contact the cylinder fins and hold them off the studs. i like to bend them slightly. I also seal them to the upper cylinder tins so they get as much air floe as possiable. I also run them up closer to the head.
Aussiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Tropical Cylinder Air Deflector Reply with quote

They are often called "cool tins". Yes, originally used on T3 VWs with their more convaluted air path.

They do several things.

1. They have "ears" which cup the exhaust valve area for better cooling there.

2. They cup the underside of the cylinders, forcing the cooling air through the underside cylinder finning. The flat deflector plates under the cylinders are removed when fitting cool tins. They actually reduce air flow around the cylinders slightly but use it better. That means...

3. Slightly higher air pressure in the fan shroud so airflow through the HEAD finning is increased, for better cooling there. The small flat deflectors under the heads are still used, so that cooling air is directed through the head underside finning.
http://www.vw-resource.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Tropical Cylinder Air Deflector Reply with quote

Aussiebug wrote:
They are often called "cool tins". Yes, originally used on T3 VWs with their more convoluted air path. through the head underside finning.

I have the cool tins on my 1835cc engine. I guess I saw an article on them in Hot VWs in the 1980s.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Tropical Cylinder Air Deflector Reply with quote

and like just about everything else, the original t3 ones fit and stay in place and the aftermarket copies fall off....you also cannot use the original sleds and small rear pieces with these as they are indented closer to the jugs than the cool tin...i've welded tabs to them to bolt to the cylinder covers but a spring should work
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Tropical Cylinder Air Deflector Reply with quote

And T-4 copied them on their production engines- proof in the pudding.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
Three56SC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Tropical Cylinder Air Deflector Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. My old boss, Ludwig, straight from the Fatherland, called them tropical tins as I presume they were used in markets where it was typically very hot. At any rate, I've had these around for at lest a couple of decades - maybe three, so I will use them. Seems like the one on the 1-2 side interferes with the nuts on case thru bolts, so it will need bit of trimming.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Tropical Cylinder Air Deflector Reply with quote

Type 3 "cool tins" were never used on a Type 1 from the factory.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Three56SC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Tropical Cylinder Air Deflector Reply with quote

Glen - I have never seen them used on a type 1 either, but was looking for feedback on the relative merits of using them. Great, not necessary or detrimental ...
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Tropical Cylinder Air Deflector Reply with quote

They interfere with the type 1 cooling tins, a solution in search of a problem. If they did anything measurable why didn't VW adopt them into type1 production? It would have been cheaper to use one part across model lines. The whole myth was a marketing ploy to sell parts, that's it. Show me the proof they do anything over and above the type 1 parts.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Tropical Cylinder Air Deflector Reply with quote

Yes they are type-3 tins. Quite fortunate you can still buy them, for some reason.
It might be useful to incorporate them into upright cooling tin, but as said they don't actually fit, they interfere with the sleds and small lower tin that normally bolts under the cylinder tins.
They could be made to fit, and would provide some additional support at least, which is needed. While the majority of folks here are all about the original tins.....seems to me the reason they are often missing is because they fell off. I left a few on the road myself.
Not very sturdy and prone to vibrating the bolts loose. Laughing
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Tropical Cylinder Air Deflector Reply with quote

"Cool Tins" were originally pushed by Johnny's Speed and Chrome back in the 80's. They are Type 3 lower tins and all the ones you see are aftermarket. They were never used by the factory on a Type 1 upright engine.

It's just marketing BS, just like the Freeway Flyer and the 009 (and now SVDA).

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Tropical Cylinder Air Deflector Reply with quote

I use them on my 2332s as I can't fit sled tins under the cylinders with my 1 3/4 and 1 7/8 merged headers. I also extended the head tins down an inch to cover the gap between the head tin and cool tin so air is forced all the way around the cylinders before venting out the bottom. Both my cars are open at the rear so have no other tins.

brad
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Tropical Cylinder Air Deflector Reply with quote

Still no hard numbers just hype and bullshit. It's fun to reinvent the wheel. Common sense if they could have made one part work across product lines you would have seen this done from the factory.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Tropical Cylinder Air Deflector Reply with quote

as I recall there is a left&right...for case nut clearance... or trim, or bend.I think the last 2 sets i got were the same and i had to trim,bend for clearance just a little on one moter and the other motor I had them up/out farther. also the size of your nuts may or may not chafe them. as with everything vw the nay sayers usualy dont have a clue and are too cheep to buy better parts and reuse crap that is all bent up and dosent work as good..... Shocked or they just read too much internet bas and beleave everything because they dont have a brain to use of their own Rolling Eyes and wouldent know if it was right or left or rong or wright. or even what they do or dont do or why they should be utilized or how.... but since Ive now read this info on the innerwebbs of thier cobwebed mind Im wondering how my thinwall slipin 90.5's have even worked for 10 miles....much less than the 80000 miles on them...must of been the majick dust&rust from berg.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Tropical Cylinder Air Deflector Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Common sense if they could have made one part work across product lines you would have seen this done from the factory.

NOPE.
If they can use a cheaper part they will. It's "common sense"
If they can leave it of they will.
Excess is waste.
One for all is communism.
Great idea, sorry it didn't work out.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Tropical Cylinder Air Deflector Reply with quote

I'm more with zundfogle on this one. I understand the "as cheap as possible" mentality, but...

To me, VW designed them to go with the unique airflow of the type 3 engine and it's crank mounted fan and associated ductwork. VW never put them on the type 1, this despite efforts to improve the cooling system starting with the doghouse oil cooler with the advent of 1300 and 1600 dual port engines, and later the venturi ring on the shroud when the lean-and-hot-running EFI engine came around. If at any time they would have wanted to apply a better, more effective cooling item, which they designed and was already in their system, to assist the Type 1 cooling, it would have been for the fuel injection engine, and they did not.

That's enough for me, I'll leave the hype behind and stay with what VW intended.

and re: type 4, it's more like type 3 than type 1, so I call out "apples and oranges" on that argument as well.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: