Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tropical Cylinder Air Deflector aka Super Cool tins
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Tropical Cylinder Air Deflector aka Super Cool tins Reply with quote

so your eating paint chips?? I try to stick to traditional corn&potato chips.
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Tropical Cylinder Air Deflector aka Super Cool tins Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
Hello.
Anyways, back in the late 90íes and early 2000´s we did a comprehensive cooling test with varius solutions on a type 1 engine with regular type 1 heads. All sorts of combinations. - Small and wide cooling fan. Stock doghouse versus early. Stock doghouse versus 30 hp style. Modified type 4 cooling fan (Joe Lociero style) in type 1 housing. DTM shroud with stock - and modified type 4 fan. Porsche fan shroud etc etc.

@Alstrup - any chance you could post the test and results? Sounds interesting and informative.

Byas
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
flyboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Tropical Cylinder Air Deflector aka Super Cool tins Reply with quote

for what its worth, I tried a few different oil cooling configurations in hopes of keeping my engine alive. I had 10:1 compression 2275cc with really opened up heads and big valves. I played around with the chambers for best combustion control. I tried extra oil coolers, oil thermostats etc. And here is what I found,
Nothing performed better than the standard dog house oil cooler and all the factory tin and fan as it was designed to be used.

I was concerned that the standard factory setup wouldn't cool as it should because of my compression and engine size. I drove the freeway every day at 75-80 mph for a 1 hour and 20 minute commute. I never had an overheating problem even when I was in city traffic.

So, now I always run the factory setup no matter what, which doesn't include the Super cool tins. I am like others, I can't say they work better or not. But I can say the factory setup is amazing, Very Happy
Porsche 914
09 Z06 Vette track car
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Tropical Cylinder Air Deflector aka Super Cool tins Reply with quote

Quote:
Wrt. the flaps. Below approx 3000 engine rpm the air gets distributed a little better with the flaps compared to no flaps. Above 3000 rpm there is very little difference if any.
It is much more important to install the divider (if you use aftermarket cool tin) That alone can reduce head temps with 10-15 degrees...

Hope this helps.

Hi , what piece do you mean by the divider?
Thanks
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Tropical Cylinder Air Deflector aka Super Cool tins Reply with quote

On the cool tin debate: it's apples and oranges.

Compare a type 1 cooling system with a type 3 system:

1) type 3 has the cool tin air deflectors under the cylinders. Air from the crank fan is ducted to the cylinder and head area. This ducting does virtually no direction control of the air, other than to make sure it gets to the heads and cylinders. The thermostat controls flaps in the fan housing exit.

2) type 1 has an air deflector under the cylinders to make the center air flow around the cylinders, and front and rear tin to control the outer cylinder air flow. The type 1 fan housing has internal air deflectors to control the air reaching the heads and cylinders. It also has thermostatically controlled cooling flaps which direct the air flow.

Thus, both cooling systems have air flow control. In type 1 engines, it's mainly in the fan housing and thermostat flaps, and less so under the cylinders. In type 3 engines, there's little control above the cylinders and heads, but much more under the cylinders and heads. Both methods get the job done - as a complete system. Logic would dictate that mixing and matching system components is just going to mess up the factory design, yielding poorer cooling performance.

===

That said, if you insist on running an aftermarket fan housing that has no air ducting inside, you might recover some cooling performance by running the type 3 cool tins, as you're now closer to a type 3 system than a type 1. If you do, I'd recommend emulating ALL of the type 3 lower cooling ducting as much as possible.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Supercompdad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Tropical Cylinder Air Deflector aka Super Cool tins Reply with quote

Thanks for the discussion, I've been researching an overheating dune buggy, it seems to have had type 1 cylinder shrouds but they were installed on the top and on the bottom of the cylinders. It overheated to the point it wouldn't start.
It's a dual port 1835 now it needs minimum, rings and maybe jugs and pistons too.
M. Notary
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Tropical Cylinder Air Deflector aka Super Cool tins Reply with quote

Supercompdad wrote:
Thanks for the discussion, I've been researching an overheating dune buggy, it seems to have had type 1 cylinder shrouds but they were installed on the top and on the bottom of the cylinders. It overheated to the point it wouldn't start.
It's a dual port 1835 now it needs minimum, rings and maybe jugs and pistons too.

This cannot be real???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Tropical Cylinder Air Deflector aka Super Cool tins Reply with quote

M. Notary wrote:

This cannot be real???

You would be surprised what people do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Tropical Cylinder Air Deflector aka Super Cool tins Reply with quote

I’m currently mocking up tins on my 2387. Seems like things change quite a bit when running 94mm cylinders. Instead of a large gap between cylinders with an air dam on the bottom (cylinder deflectors) the 94’s already have a “built in” dam built in due to the decreased spacing in the middle. So I plan to run the cool tins with modifications to route a little air around the cylinders, while making sure the heads, and particularly the exhaust ports get the most unrestricted airflow, while still providing air ducted around the outside of the cylinders with use of the cool tins. No thermostat Rube Goldberg devices, I don’t actually trust the contraption.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: