Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fixing a sliding door mechanism
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Fixing a sliding door mechanism Reply with quote

Time to tackle the sliding door. From day one the inside handle does not open the door. It only opens from the outside. The door does lock come the inside. I took a video of the mechanism and I can see that a lot more pieces move when the outside handle is turned. When the inside is turned you can see only he piece attached to the handle moves and nothing else engages with it. I tried to upload the video but didn't work. If someone knows how to upload a video please let me know.

Bentley says how to remove the assembly but that's about it. I suspect the indise handle mechanism may be mis aligned with the rest of the parts which is why nothing engages when turned. Hard to tell if some piec is broken or missing.

I may take everything off and inspect and possibly can get another used one to replace. However before I possibly mess this up I wanted to also check if there are some spring loaded items I need to be aware of. It's a tight fit in there, I'd hate to face the prospect of compressing something when reassembling.
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Fixing a sliding door mechanism Reply with quote

I can only advise on the sliding door inside handle set screw. Get rid of the marginal phillips head screw. Go to the hardware store and get a M5x0.8 16mm long allen screw. Use a 5/32 allen wrench to screw it in. Clean the threads with a solvent and use a liquid threadlocker to hold it in. That will prevent your handle from backing out and breaking at the square hole.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: