Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Thing
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Urklegrue Von Frankenstein 1973 Bus (gonna need alot of help!) Reply with quote

Let me know if you need a hand with your bus or want to go for a cruise sometime man! I'm from Merrimac, MA but I go up to Portsmouth, NH and the York/Ogunquit, ME area lots during the warmer months with my bus Cool
60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Urklegrue Von Frankenstein 1973 Bus (gonna need alot of help!) Reply with quote

Yarkle wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:
Cut out/grind off the paint and figure out how bad it really is. Then order your part.

SPike, so it is technically possible to use the earlier, thicker gauge rerpro part as long as the "lip " isnt too bad? (right now i got to work when its dark and come home when its dark and the boys bus is in the garage, so im just trying to think ahead, but maybe ill get to cutting some of it this weekend.)

Amskeptic wrote:

It is a joy to work on the '73/'74 carburetors with the additional room afforded by having the carbs sit a half foot higher off the engine

Colin, thanks for your advice and encouragement. If it wasnt for your writeup on the topic id probably have just stuck with the progressive. I had thought of trying to go with the 73-74 setup, but a few things stopped me:

1. this.. pretty much the biggest reason. Its harder for me to work through the hatch than the decklid. I have to wear braces with hinges from bad things happening so I kind of like the decklid better. Ive tried all sorts of stuff but sitting on a milk crate seems to work the best for me

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(thanks everett for fixing that pic for me)

2. Ive always liked an oil bath better than a paper filter (kind of last reason)

3. middle reason, i just couldnt find a 73+ setup in decent shape. The 72 setup was almost entirely complete and sort of fell into my lap (and i got it super cheap), but i still had to chase a few things for it,, all of the 73 stuff id have had to buy this to get that and Robbie can already tell you of my collection of carbs (that has grown since hes seen it ..kind of like ebneneezer scrooges chain, except mine is solex carbs). Any time i found the plastic filter housing it was cracked here or missing that or whatevs. AND i JUST bought the 72 vac kit from germansupplyscott

ANYWAYS:

That said, do i need a 72 cable or a 73 cable? is the difference in length due to the difference in early /late bay pedal (i thought the 72 was in the late bay category) or due to the funky twist in the link bar?

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. I didn't have any problems with my quarter panel repro parts. Be more careful welding them, just take your time because they warp a little easier (softer metal, I assume). But fitment was good, and with a little epoxy primer, no problem (though I suppose time will tell if that works out).
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Urklegrue Von Frankenstein 1973 Bus (gonna need alot of help!) Reply with quote

thewalrus wrote:
Let me know if you need a hand with your bus or want to go for a cruise sometime man! I'm from Merrimac, MA but I go up to Portsmouth, NH and the York/Ogunquit, ME area lots during the warmer months with my bus Cool

SWEET! I just shot you a PM. Ive been following your thread with envy. Hopefully by the warmer months Ill be able to get her to Portsmouth or York (i live in Eliot).

BTW, the if you dont know, Vacationland VW club usually has a "dustoff" at ft foster in kittery in early Mayish?

But right now Poor poor Urkelgrue is out in the nor'easter with a snow 'stache cuz my sons bus is still in the garage.. Maybe by March ill get them swapped out.

Spike, thanks for the advice!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=771024&highlight=
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Urklegrue Von Frankenstein 1973 Bus (gonna need alot of help!) Reply with quote

Yarkle wrote:
BTW, the if you dont know, Vacationland VW club usually has a "dustoff" at ft foster in kittery in early Mayish?

I just checked them out on FB. Thanks man!
60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Urklegrue Von Frankenstein 1973 Bus (gonna need alot of help!) Reply with quote

Ok, after battling on the boys bus for way too long, i did some bus multi tasking and finally got a compression test done. Im not 100% sure i had my valves adjusted perfectly (ive still got that 411/porsche fan on it so the marks might not be 100%), battery wasnt 100% charged and i dont think i had the 4 barrels on the progressive clone all the way open (i reread the ratwell stuff AFTER..dummy) , but i still got 110, 115, 110, and 110 for numbers.

and its been sitting for a looong time.

After realizing more of the heat stuff is missing than id thought, i started to remove the shroud while I was fighting the tie rods on my sons bus, so ill double check the flaps n oil cooler while thats off and put a bus fan on it. Ive got two stuck nuts im letting kroil over night and maybe ill get them off tommorow.

EDIT: one came off with a variety of tools, shown in this picture..screwdriver, stripped screw removal tool(all three sizes), vice grips, and finally an 11mm damaged socket thing that i tapped on with a mallet. Last bolt is pretty stuck and i cant get anything into it at the moment, so im hoping the kroil and a sideways screwdriver will work in a day or two

I have also come to the conclusion that some of the claims of the penetrating oil industry are, indeed, HOKUM.

I tired that freezy stuff and it says, allow a few minutes for the capillary action to take effect, and then rusted parts may easily be dissassembled.

Hokum i say!

Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The Thing Reply with quote

what do you call the body panel on the back side of the front of the rear wheel Arch? I guess it goes behind the arch and connects to the closing panel and then the door pillar..i know this is the wrong side but this is the only good picture i have handy.

i guess if youd call the wheel arch panel and outer rocker it would be an inner rocker?

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The Thing Reply with quote

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211809160b

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The Thing Reply with quote

thanks busdaddy, but its not the outer skin but the , i guess, inner skin? Ill try and get a better pic tommorow. It may be part of the wheel tub maybe and something id have to fabricate?

if you are looking at it from the front, or from the back i guess too, the cross section would be like this:

the outer skin is yellow and the part im trying to figure out is red

Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Thing Reply with quote

ok, i guess this piece? is this somethign someone sells or ill just have to make the piece? this is from another thread.. i havent cut into mine yet until I can get a huge mess out of the garage, but i know that rusty piece in this pic has some holes in it.

cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The Thing Reply with quote

Is that the inner sill?
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The Thing Reply with quote

Ya, I think that is the right part, I finally found, on mid america motorworks, of all places, a diagram that shows where everything is, and it looks like thats it.

https://www.mamotorworks.com/vw/product/vw-1968-19...nel-316104

Thanks!

Last edited by Yarkle on Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The Thing Reply with quote

Ya it's been a while since I did mine. I'll crawl under it tomorrow AM and see if that part was done when I did the sills and rockers on mine. I honestly don't remember.
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The Thing Reply with quote

Cool, id appreciate it. Alot of times i have word finding problems and i cant describe stuff properly.

alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The Thing Reply with quote

damn!!! feb 2017 to aug 2020. you really let that penetrating oil capilate!
jk, good to see you pick the thread up again. doing good work!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The Thing Reply with quote

Wait until you get inside and see what's missing, the inner rocker is mostly intact on the bus shown in the linked pic, but the bottom of the C pillar is gone. If the inner is bad back there you probably need the whole thing since rust doesn't discriminate, the C pillar will require some creativity, Klassicfab offers some options for split buses, one may be close enough to adapt to a bay: https://www.klassicfab.com/?s=c+pillar&post_type=product

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The Thing Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Wait until you get inside and see what's missing, the inner rocker is mostly intact on the bus shown in the linked pic, but the bottom of the C pillar is gone. If the inner is bad back there you probably need the whole thing since rust doesn't discriminate, the C pillar will require some creativity, Klassicfab offers some options for split buses, one may be close enough to adapt to a bay: https://www.klassicfab.com/?s=c+pillar&post_type=product

So is the inner rocker the same as the inner sill? Thats what im trying to get my head wrapped around.

Ive left myself a reminder to look underneath tommorow and see if i can figure out where it goes.

allman: Yeah, I have a tendency to get distracted

Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: The Thing Reply with quote

Ok, so after the realization that if i dont get my a$$ in gear, its going to rot away, I started making time to work on it. Again, this is never going to be a show bus, its just something for me to putter on and maybe drive around town in. more of a metaphor for fixing things i cant fix.

I took these pictures for general reference: front, sides, rear

the windshield was already hazed and had gotten taken out by hail , these were from last week

Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: The Thing Reply with quote

these were from a year or so ago when I discovered exactly what you get for 500 bucks in new england.

NAsty nasty hippie painted headliner . full of mouse nests

well..then When I cut it out, I discovered these..not impressed. I knew there was bondo in the top, but someone got crazy with a slide hammer and gave up..it looks like they really tightened surfboards down on it maybe?

even bent the support rails a bit..Manfred from colorado hooked me up with another set to sister them to

A few gentle taps did make some of the valleys pop back out

well, it knocked some of the bondo out anyways

Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: The Thing Reply with quote

SuperJennn gets to work

SuperJenn doesn not like lots of bondo

Chomper supervises

I dont like Bondo either..I was trying to just get the huge chunks down to manageable levels.. if they had just left the dents in, probably would have made life alot easier

this is how thick some of that sh!t was

with a combination of the grinder, chisel, heat..being as careful as possible not to work harden it, I got alot of the Bondo off of the roof. most of the "burn" marks are melted bondo not heated steel

then i just slapped some of that kooky flex seal tape to keep the rain out for now..which, of course, turned into at least a year.

I also osphod the surface rust

Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: The Thing Reply with quote

Do, one of the things im constantly doing is trying to keep stuff organized and mouse free in the garage... well, it got hot in th eloft and i thought..well. how hard can it really be.. the seals are shot, im replacing the windows, the windshields gotta go.

ripped this out with my fingers

looking at this seal, and they were all like that, i knew there was trouble

took me a little bit to figure this part out..cut inside seal, cut outside seal, then pry

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: