Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1978 T2 2.0 FI - Fuel Rail Leak
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aglistas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:42 am    Post subject: 1978 T2 2.0 FI - Fuel Rail Leak Reply with quote

Hello Volks Folks -

I think I've done enough research on this forum to understand that this part is No Longer Available and finding one used difficult - but hopefully not impossible.

Can anyone point me to someone somewhere that may have a stash of these? OR - perhaps there's a new replacement that is suitable?

I'll be looking for a welder until I hear some news from you wise souls.
TIA

1978 T2 Transporter (Riviera)
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 T2 2.0 FI - Fuel Rail Leak Reply with quote

unsure which fuel rail you’re talking about.

my ‘78 rail from #4 over to the cold-start valve developed a hole years ago from rubbing on either the plug insulator or brake boost vacuum line, i can’t remember which.

i slid a piece of fuel hose over the hole, and clamped it on. then, put a longer piece of fuel hose connecting the rail to the csv to angle the rail away from the friction point.

it’s been working fine for 20+ years.

welcome to samba, by the way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 T2 2.0 FI - Fuel Rail Leak Reply with quote

just do a search in classifieds for FI parts. There are usually lots of them there. In addition there is a thread here from a company that makes a heavy duty replacement rail. You'll have to search for it, but it is out there.
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 T2 2.0 FI - Fuel Rail Leak Reply with quote

These? https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2556205
Aglistas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 T2 2.0 FI - Fuel Rail Leak Reply with quote

Thanks for the idea Dodger Tom. It's on the driver's side.
And thanks for the welcome - I've been lurking for over 15 years Smile

SGKent - I looked in the classifieds with a number of different key words. I checked eBay too.

creative native - I wish! I don't think that will fit my Type 2.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Aglistas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 T2 2.0 FI - Fuel Rail Leak Reply with quote

I may have spoken too soon, creative native - I'm watching the video on the 'Complete Fuel Rail system for Type 4 VW Bus" now.

dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 T2 2.0 FI - Fuel Rail Leak Reply with quote

Aglistas wrote:
Thanks for the idea Dodger Tom. It's on the driver's side.
And thanks for the welcome - I've been lurking for over 15 years Smile

you’re welcome for the welcome, and the idea. not sure if it’ll help. i can’t tell where the leak is in the photo.

as you may be finding out, your type 2 bus has a type iv motor (assuming it hasn’t been changed), so those expensive injectors and rails would work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 T2 2.0 FI - Fuel Rail Leak Reply with quote

Aglistas wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If you are driving around with those cracked antique looking fuel hoses you have far bigger things to be concerned about than one piddly little leak. Shocked

Where's the leak in that pic?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 T2 2.0 FI - Fuel Rail Leak Reply with quote

Aglistas wrote:
...SGKent - I looked in the classifieds with a number of different key words. I checked eBay too...

next time choose "title and text" instead of "title".

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2562187

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2558139

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2542336

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2149149
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: