Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ben's '59 Panel Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Ben's '59 Panel Project Reply with quote

If it has that backing plate it is 3/4 ton brakes.

Have you tried a punch thru the brake adjusting hole to loosen up the shoes from the drum, or are the drums able to turn?
ernstben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Ben's '59 Panel Project Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:

Have you tried a punch thru the brake adjusting hole to loosen up the shoes from the drum, or are the drums able to turn?

The drum spins easily.

I thought the earlier brakes (until '63) were 3/4 ton brakes. The backing plates in the '59 owner's manual look like this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Are those not 3/4 ton? Are the later brake drums thinner? I'm having a hard time figuring out why they had to use spacers on the ends of the axles.

'63 Ghia Coupe Project
'59 Panel Project
'56 Ragtop Project
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Ben's '59 Panel Project Reply with quote

ernstben wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:

The drum spins easily.

I thought the earlier brakes (until '63) were 3/4 ton brakes. The backing plates in the '59 owner's manual look like this:

Are those not 3/4 ton? Are the later brake drums thinner? I'm having a hard time figuring out why they had to use spacers on the ends of the axles.

Duh! Yes, you are right that is the one ton backing plate. Embarassed

The 1963 ONLY lower stub axles are longer than the pre-1964 3/4 ton. The drums you have look like Pre-1964 ones. What is the part number inside the drum you have off?
ernstben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Ben's '59 Panel Project Reply with quote

Ok... just tinkered a bit more, and I'd say I'm 95% sure that someone did a pretty half-assed conversion to 1 ton brakes. Part numbers from the drums:

Front: 211 405 615 A

Rear: 211 501 615 B

In order to make it work, they did all sorts of weird things like cut off the snout of the brake drums and use stacks of washers where bolts were too long. What confuses me is that they definitely cut the snouts off the brake drums, but then proceeded to use bearing spacers over the ends of the splines. For some weird reason they used the correct backing plates in the front with the later drums and brake shoes.

So. I guess my options are to try and make these drums work or just bite the bullet and get new brake drums, backing plates in the rear, and associated hardware. Thoughts?

'63 Ghia Coupe Project
'59 Panel Project
'56 Ragtop Project
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Ben's '59 Panel Project Reply with quote

Backing plates should be fine as is. You need to figure if you are going with pre-1964 brakes on all four or post-1963 brakes.
ernstben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Ben's '59 Panel Project Reply with quote

Well, I think the rear drums are toast seeing as someone took an angle grinder to the snouts. I suppose I could get away with the front ones if I had them turned, but part of me just wants to put everything back to stock so I don't have to worry about parts working together. Honestly, I'm still feeling burned from having lost a full month trying to piece together the right nosecone assembly when I should have just bought the WW one and saved myself the hassle (and $ in the long run).

If I go full stock again, I think I'd need new rear backing plates then, yes? At very least, the E-brake cable mount is different and I'd guess that the larger diameter shoes require a different mounting situation.

'63 Ghia Coupe Project
'59 Panel Project
'56 Ragtop Project
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Ben's '59 Panel Project Reply with quote

ernstben wrote:

If I go full stock again, I think I'd need new rear backing plates then, yes? At very least, the E-brake cable mount is different and I'd guess that the larger diameter shoes require a different mounting situation.

If you mean stock as in correct for the year of your Bus, then yes.

If you are going to want to do long distance drives at higher MPH speeds, then you should consider going with later stock parts. RGB gears are higher geared, and brakes are 20%, just to name two big advantages over the earlier. Also it is easier to get new of the 1965-67 brakes and suspension parts.
ernstben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Ben's '59 Panel Project Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:

Also it is easier to get new of the 1965-67 brakes and suspension parts.

Yeah, I've discovered that on my initial searches for new drums.

I've got a 40 horse just about done and do not plan on doing any long distance or high MPH driving. With such a limited engine, I'm thinking the original brakes might be fine. My number one goal for the project once it's on the road is for it to be a reliable occasional back-road commuter and local car show participant.

Thanks for the help as always E&B. I'm off to find brake drums! Very Happy

'63 Ghia Coupe Project
'59 Panel Project
'56 Ragtop Project
ernstben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Ben's '59 Panel Project Reply with quote

Things are moving along:

'63 Ghia Coupe Project
'59 Panel Project
'56 Ragtop Project
ernstben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Ben's '59 Panel Project Reply with quote

But, I think I hit a big ol' snag. I checked out the back of my RGBs and didn't see a plug:

According to what I've read on here, that was a quick way to check to see if you had big or small nut RGBs. I didn't even consider that maybe this bus had the '63 option for 1-ton brakes. Now that I took a step back though, I think that that would explain a lot of the issues I've noticed.

Brake drum part #: 211 501 615 B

RGB part #: 211 501 251 D

I counted 19 teeth on the top gear through the filler holes on both sides.

First off, that makes sense, right? Someone took the car in for service for some reason and they threw the '63 1 ton brakes on there and then machined the drums on the ends to fit?

Secondly, what the heck do I do now? I could just roll with the bigger RGB ratio and brakes, but I think the poor little 1200 (which, of course, is just about done) might not like it. Or, does it make more sense to find a set of 3/4 ton RGBs and continue with the current plan of returning to stock?

Thanks so much in advance for the advice/help. I've been running myself in circles trying to figure out what the heck the POs did.

'63 Ghia Coupe Project
'59 Panel Project
'56 Ragtop Project
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Ben's '59 Panel Project Reply with quote

The old 1963 one ton drums wore out on another rig and they just installed 3/4 ton brake drums. They must have used that setup for just rolling around the yard.

Again up to you. Installing the 64-67 RGBs is not going to make that huge of gearing change in the top end RPM or acceleration, even with a 40 HP.

You could even just use the one year only one ton RGBs with the 3/4 ton brakes. Will require drilling and tapping a new hole in the inner RGB half, and using the 3/4 ton RGB outer half.
ernstben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Ben's '59 Panel Project Reply with quote

I was lucky enough to find a complete drum to drum rear axle that would be correct for this bus through Ebay. The wife and I took a super romantic roadtrip to Detroit to pick it up:

It came from a running dune buggy (on a type 1 chassis, hence the welded on mounts) and was only missing the correct nosecone. No problem, I just spent a month spinning my wheels to end up with this:

Got it cleaned up, a new starter bushing and axle boots installed and then started hanging new brake parts. The only issue I ran into was that the adjusting star leaf springs on both plates were broken off. A user on here suggested using steel pallet straps to replace them. I went to our local lumberyard and had to convince them that I really actually only wanted a foot or so of the metal strapping in their garbage. I got really excited when the guy handed me a piece. I'm sure he thinks I'm crazy. Anyways, made myself some new leaf springs:

... and tacked them onto my backing plates:

Once I did that, there wasn't anything holding me back from bolting on her new shoes and giving her a slight nudge backwards:

As you can see, I've shot some primer on most of the body. In the darkness of the garage, I was feeling pretty confident with what I'd primed/painted. It looked pretty awesome under the couple light bulbs I have in there. Out in the cold light of day though... yikes. She's not the prettiest. Very Happy

I think I have more bodywork in front of me than I expected.

'63 Ghia Coupe Project
'59 Panel Project
'56 Ragtop Project

Last edited by ernstben on Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:34 am; edited 2 times in total
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Ben's '59 Panel Project Reply with quote

It sure looks good on my screen. That has to feel good with it now rolling good on a better transaxle.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Ben's '59 Panel Project Reply with quote

Great thread, keep up the good work! The pallet straps are handy material to have around, I did the same repair a few years back.
ernstben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Ben's '59 Panel Project Reply with quote

I'm finishing up with my quick and dirty paint job:

'63 Ghia Coupe Project
'59 Panel Project
'56 Ragtop Project
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Ben's '59 Panel Project Reply with quote

That's gonna be Saweeet!!! Cool

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Ben's '59 Panel Project Reply with quote

looks perfect, all it needs is a nice pinstripe to set it off.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Ben's '59 Panel Project Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
looks perfect, all it needs is a nice pinstripe to set it off.

3 stripe of das Deutschland!

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ernstben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Ben's '59 Panel Project Reply with quote

The wife was away for a week and I was off of work, so I really was able to hit it hard every day. Things done:

- Finished engine install. Just need some battery cables and an ignition switch to fire her up.
- 95% finished with wiring. Just trying to figure out why my original wiper motor is operating at 10% speed even on 12v.
- Windows assembled and installed. Waiting on windshields to come in the mail to get those installed. Waited on the wife to come home from the in-laws to help install the rear one and had prepared her for an epic struggle. We got it in on the first go! Phew, didn't have to go into wife-point debt.
- Assorted cables all installed. The reserve tap operates with a lot of tension. I'm hoping that the addition of gas to the internals and time makes it move easier.
-All body rubber installed. Now everything closes only with effort. Again, I'm hoping that things will wear in over time.

Here are some pictures of the progress so far:

'63 Ghia Coupe Project
'59 Panel Project
'56 Ragtop Project
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Ben's '59 Panel Project Reply with quote

looks quite excellent!

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 12

Jump to: