Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ben's '59 Panel Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Ben's '59 Panel Project Reply with quote

Have you taken the wiper motor gear box apart to dig out the old nasty non-lubricating grease and replace with new??

A light (not white) lithium works best.

Do not fill the gear box with grease. Try to put in same amount you pull out.
ernstben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Ben's '59 Panel Project Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Have you taken the wiper motor gear box apart to dig out the old nasty non-lubricating grease and replace with new??

A light (not white) lithium works best.

Do not fill the gear box with grease. Try to put in same amount you pull out.

Oh man, I have had the whole thing apart and together 20 times at this point. I followed a tutorial someone else posted on this site and cleaned all the old grease out and replaced it with new. Initially I did fill the whole gearbox with new, but quickly discovered how much was actually needed.

The problem has got to be in the windings or wiring somewhere, I think. I took everything apart and cleaned the crap out of the connections, replaced the armature spring and eventually the armature itself today. Nothing makes it turn faster than a slow spin. And that's with a 12v power supply (which my voltmeter says is spitting out 16v!).

Replace it? Something I'm overlooking?

'63 Ghia Coupe Project
'59 Panel Project
'56 Ragtop Project
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Ben's '59 Panel Project Reply with quote

Is the armature rubbing against the inside of the field magnets?? Have had to adjust for that.

How did the pivot on the gear box cover feel when removed? If too tight there it would cause drag.
ernstben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Ben's '59 Panel Project Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Is the armature rubbing against the inside of the field magnets?? Have had to adjust for that.

How did the pivot on the gear box cover feel when removed? If too tight there it would cause drag.

I've adjusted the field magnets to make sure there isn't any rubbing.

The armature has a little nub on its end which looks like it goes into a hole on the gearbox cover. When everything is cinched up the armature moves easily with my finger. I even tried it a couple times with the gearbox cover removed in order to rule out the armature binding on that pivot point. It still turned about the same speed: the output shaft does about a full revolution every ten seconds or so.

'63 Ghia Coupe Project
'59 Panel Project
'56 Ragtop Project
zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Ben's '59 Panel Project Reply with quote

I had the same issue with my wiper motor. I finally hooked it up to a battery Nd it worked perfect
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Ben's '59 Panel Project Reply with quote

ernstben wrote:
.... And that's with a 12v power supply (which my voltmeter says is spitting out 16v!).

I am guessing 16v is without the motor connected. The motor is probably pulling the voltage down to low. Try it directly to a car battery.
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ernstben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Ben's '59 Panel Project Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
ernstben wrote:
.... And that's with a 12v power supply (which my voltmeter says is spitting out 16v!).

I am guessing 16v is without the motor connected. The motor is probably pulling the voltage down to low. Try it directly to a car battery.

Awesome, I'll give that a go. Thanks for the help all! Very Happy

'63 Ghia Coupe Project
'59 Panel Project
'56 Ragtop Project
ernstben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Ben's '59 Panel Project Reply with quote

I touched the terminals on the wiper motor briefly to my daily's 12v battery and it perked right up, so that's more confirmation that you can't rely on power supplies to test certain power-hungry electrical items. I'm thinking that probably explains my horn's wimpiness when I tested it too.

Anyways, I'm back to slaving away in the salt mines at work again as of today, so my mini-summer of working on the bus is over. However, I'm a set of battery cables, door handles, windshields, and ignition switch from having her back on the road. Brakes got bled yesterday and work better than any old VW I've ever had, which is exciting. E-brake engages fully with 3 clicks. Wiring is done (although I'm sure there'll be some troubleshooting once I give it some juice). Windows installed except for windshields which are in the mail. I'm going to save my pennies for interior panels and upholstery and drive it for a while with cushions and such.

Random assembly pictures:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'63 Ghia Coupe Project
'59 Panel Project
'56 Ragtop Project
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Ben's '59 Panel Project Reply with quote

Boiiinnng!
Looking a-very nice!

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ernstben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Ben's '59 Panel Project Reply with quote

Logged her first official mile post-refresh:

It's actually pretty darn peppy for 40hp! I haven't approached top speed yet, but I'm guessing that that is where the trade off is going to be.

I fought with the turn signals in back for a while and finally gave up on my LED bulbs. As soon as I installed the stock filament bulbs everything seemed to work well together.

One issue I am having though is a pretty serious "CLUNK" noise when the starter engages. Sometimes you can hear the starter spin for a second or two before it CLUNKS and engages the flywheel. I've installed 2 different 6v starters and they both make the same noise. Bushing is new in the trans. I counted the teeth on the flywheel (which was so, so much fun) and came up with 109, so that part is correct. Any thoughts?

'63 Ghia Coupe Project
'59 Panel Project
'56 Ragtop Project
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Ben's '59 Panel Project Reply with quote

ernstben wrote:
Bushing is new in the trans. Any thoughts?

Cherry bus. It almost looks miniature in the fueling bay.

Is it the correct bushing for sure.
ernstben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Ben's '59 Panel Project Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
ernstben wrote:

I would say I'm 95% sure it's correct. It fits snuggly in the trans and I test fit it on the shaft of the starter prior to installing it. I'll look back through my invoices though to be sure I ordered the right one.

There would be obvious slop or it wouldn't engage at all if it we're incorrect right?

'63 Ghia Coupe Project
'59 Panel Project
'56 Ragtop Project
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Ben's '59 Panel Project Reply with quote

ernstben wrote:
Logged her first official mile post-refresh:

It's actually pretty darn peppy for 40hp! I haven't approached top speed yet, but I'm guessing that that is where the trade off is going to be.

40s are quite peppy, you still have the short gearing and more horses than the 36er. in a super light weight panel to boot. Don't be afraid to wind it up in third.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Ben's '59 Panel Project Reply with quote

ernstben wrote:
BarryL wrote:
ernstben wrote:

I would say I'm 95% sure it's correct. It fits snuggly in the trans and I test fit it on the shaft of the starter prior to installing it. I'll look back through my invoices though to be sure I ordered the right one.

There would be obvious slop or it wouldn't engage at all if it we're incorrect right?

If it's a 6 volt bellhousing there is only one bushing that will stay in the big hole and that's 6 volt O.D. with 6 volt I.D. . If you had a 12 volt bellhousing then the adapter is 12 volt O.D. and 6 volt I.D. . The wrong 12 volt I.D. bushing won't even allow you to install a 6 volt starter so by default alone I'm guessing you have the correct bushing especially if you trial fit it. Sometimes rarely there is enough slop in the hole the starter slides into in the bellhousing that you have to manually lift the starter before tightening it or it will be too close to the flywheel to mesh on first pull. Not saying that's it but it might be.
ernstben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Ben's '59 Panel Project Reply with quote

I've logged some miles on her since my last post (maybe 115 or so) and it seems like as soon as I cross one thing off the list of things to get dialed in something else pops up! Very Happy

She did make it to her first car show as an honest-to-goodness road-going vehicle:

I couldn't help myself and had some load limit decals made up to keep up the "commercial" theme:

Mandatory panelvan accessory:

Most people's responses to seeing the car have been to tell me NSFW stories about the things they did in their buses in their youths. More than one asked me "when are you going to paint it?" More evidence that I shouldn't quit my day job. Laughing

Gotta fix a leaky rear axle seal and some difficulty finding 3rd gear. When I pulled into the driveway yesterday there was a worrying "clunk" noise that I'll investigate when I work up the courage. The starter still takes a second to engage and goes "BANG", but I've decided after trying everyone's suggested fixes and it having no effect to just let it be for now. The generator light glows dimly at idle (will replace brushes when I get to it...). I bought a set of wiper arms and blades and they were absolute complete garbage so I sent them back. It's like a really fun version of being sucked downward into quicksand. Very Happy

'63 Ghia Coupe Project
'59 Panel Project
'56 Ragtop Project

Last edited by ernstben on Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Ben's '59 Panel Project Reply with quote

things to consider before it gets cold in your part of the country.

working heat and a cab divider. The latter will address both heating and noise issues.

invest in a really big heavy blanket to drape over your seat, seatback and the bulkhead. will keep a lot of cold air from you.

keeping some stuff in the back, especially on top of the engine compartment will keep noise down as well.

Uli

Krustybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Ben's '59 Panel Project Reply with quote

A cab divider is the best money a panel owner can spend.
My wife called our 58 "The Rattler" until I put one in.
Cargo mats all the way through help a lot too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ernstben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Ben's '59 Panel Project Reply with quote

Krustybus wrote:

I didn't think there'd be that much expense involved with the interior of a rolling metal box, but geez! I'm saving my pennies for a full interior panel set, seat covers, and floor mats. Maybe this winter?! Til then I'll just putt along with my earphones on!

'63 Ghia Coupe Project
'59 Panel Project
'56 Ragtop Project
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Ben's '59 Panel Project Reply with quote

ernstben wrote:
Krustybus wrote:

I didn't think there'd be that much expense involved with the interior of a rolling metal box, but geez! I'm saving my pennies for a full interior panel set, seat covers, and floor mats. Maybe this winter?! Til then I'll just putt along with my earphones on!

good point the earphones will keep your ears from freezing, too

Uli

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Ben's '59 Panel Project Reply with quote

ernstben wrote:
When I pulled into the driveway yesterday there was a worrying "clunk" noise that I'll investigate when I work up the courage. The starter still takes a second to engage and goes "BANG", but I've decided after trying everyone's suggested fixes and it having no effect to just let it be for now.

Check your spring plate bolts for tightness on the "clunk" just to eliminate that possibility easily.

Regarding the "BANG"S, sometimes the starter bushing gets pushed all the way to the engine bell wall and the tip of the starter isn't inside the bushing very far. You have to pull the starter to see if it's that.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 12

Jump to: