Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Zwitter (standard) with ragtop sunroof, project by coincidence
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TRS63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: Zwitter (standard) with ragtop sunroof, project by coincidence Reply with quote

Great, looking forward to follow this project !

Antoine
My 914 restoration&lightweight project :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9698432#9698432
Resurrecting a 60 ghia : https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713906
My 52 Standard Zwitter :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10086685#10086685
the dominator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Zwitter (standard) with ragtop sunroof, project by coincidence Reply with quote

The mystery of my zwitter is reveiling itself slowly.
Ofcourse I have some info from the previous owner, but no paper to back it up.
I did order a birthcertificate it in 2016 but there were some gaps in it.

Recently I was introduced to a fellow zwitter standard ragtop owner who was asking if mine was also a CCG. Obviously I didn’t know what CCG ment.

Long story short: I have ordered a new birthcertificate, VW Classic Parts did some more investigation. At least now I know it’s paint color and where it was delivered. So yes it is a CCG car in Military Green and British Army. The only questionnable thing for me is the 17VB in the certificate. Anybody any idea what this abbreviation means?

As far as extra’s: M003, without ignition lock. So they have an option to leave something away Very Happy Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1988 T3 doka synco 2.1WBX
sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: Zwitter (standard) with ragtop sunroof, project by coincidence Reply with quote

Fantastic!
I’m away for the weekend but I’ll do a bit of digging on the 17VB next week. It’ll be a BAoR company or vehicle pool I expect. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
the dominator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: Zwitter (standard) with ragtop sunroof, project by coincidence Reply with quote

sinclair wrote:
Fantastic!
I’m away for the weekend but I’ll do a bit of digging on the 17VB next week. It’ll be a BAoR company or vehicle pool I expect. Razz

that would be highly appreciated Cool Cool

When I bought the zwitter the car was dismantled, but have latest picture in driveway just before they started dismantling.

The ragtop was in a box as was a role of green fabric, which he bought in 2016.

first I took some exposed material, looked a lot darker but similar material

Now we have removed some innerlayers of material which were not exposed to years of sun/rain/dirt/acid rain etc

This color looks a lot more like the role of green fabric, so in respect of the previous owner I am going to use this fabric for the ragtop.
sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: Zwitter (standard) with ragtop sunroof, project by coincidence Reply with quote

Hi.
Pretty sure the paint is Mid Bronze Green from memory. Also I tracked down your delivery location. 17 vehicle battalion Razz

17 (Rear) Vehicle Depot .
1959.11.01 Formed near Monchengladbach, Germany by renaming 17 Vehicle Battalion

17 Vehicle Company RAOC arrived from Hamburg in Ayrshire Barracks Mönchengladbach 4 Oct 48, then redesignated Battalion 11 Nov 48.

https://bfg-locations.editboard.com/t135-17-base-vehicle-depot
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
the dominator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: Zwitter (standard) with ragtop sunroof, project by coincidence Reply with quote

sinclair wrote:
Hi.
Pretty sure the paint is Mid Bronze Green from memory. Also I tracked down your delivery location. 17 vehicle battalion Razz

17 (Rear) Vehicle Depot .
1959.11.01 Formed near Monchengladbach, Germany by renaming 17 Vehicle Battalion

17 Vehicle Company RAOC arrived from Hamburg in Ayrshire Barracks Mönchengladbach 4 Oct 48, then redesignated Battalion 11 Nov 48.

https://bfg-locations.editboard.com/t135-17-base-vehicle-depot

thanks for the info, that is close by. only 90km from my hometown.

So now I know it was delivered in MonchenGladbach in 1952
from 1968 until 2016 it was in Vaals (Netherlands)
and from 2016 in Maastricht (Netherlands)
sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: Zwitter (standard) with ragtop sunroof, project by coincidence Reply with quote

That’s great. Can you contact previous owner? I managed to talk to the first civilian owner of my old 52.
the dominator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: Zwitter (standard) with ragtop sunroof, project by coincidence Reply with quote

sinclair wrote:
That’s great. Can you contact previous owner? I managed to talk to the first civilian owner of my old 52.

Yes I am in contact with previous owner, he is 80 now.
Hope to get her finished and can place it back at his driveway again for him to see and enjoy.......
beetlekey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: Zwitter (standard) with ragtop sunroof, project by coincidence Reply with quote

Hi, nothing from this belongs to the car. Maybe the carpet, but not the edgematerial in red.
Sorry for not answer, i am pretty busy.
Will contact you later.

If you are searching for vintage keys, look here:
https://www.facebook.com/WagenmanufakturHO
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
the dominator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Zwitter (standard) with ragtop sunroof, project by coincidence Reply with quote

beetlekey wrote:
Hi, nothing from this belongs to the car. Maybe the carpet, but not the edgematerial in red.
Sorry for not answer, i am pretty busy.
Will contact you later.

thanks for your feedback, much appreciated Very Happy

I was aware of the inner lining, since this is much more recent material.
We are going to refurbish the complete ragtop, using the correct inner headliner.

The carpet does not belong to me, is a cover of the workbench of my upholsterer.

As for the outside, I understand it is probably not the factory standard material, but as mentioned due to the fact the previous owner acquired this material, the plan is to use it out of respect to the previous owner.
beetlekey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Zwitter (standard) with ragtop sunroof, project by coincidence Reply with quote

Quote:
As for the outside, I understand it is probably not the factory standard material, but as mentioned due to the fact the previous owner acquired this material, the plan is to use it out of respect to the previous owner

This is a very dump idea Rolling Eyes

If you are searching for vintage keys, look here:
https://www.facebook.com/WagenmanufakturHO
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
the dominator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: Zwitter (standard) with ragtop sunroof, project by coincidence Reply with quote

beetlekey wrote:
Quote:
As for the outside, I understand it is probably not the factory standard material, but as mentioned due to the fact the previous owner acquired this material, the plan is to use it out of respect to the previous owner

This is a very dump idea Rolling Eyes

I am not aiming on a 100% "when it left factory build".
It is nice to get some history on it, but will give it some of my personal touch.

So it may be not quite original but something different.
the dominator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Zwitter (standard) with ragtop sunroof, project by coincidence Reply with quote

purist avert your eyes. Shocked Shocked

Due to some personal reasons, and the fact that there is only so much time in a day, days in a week, months in a year, years in a lifetime
I had to drastically reduce the number of (project) cars I owned.

Having said this, I sold all "just because I can" projects which were in the end causing too much noise on the line for this zwitter project.
Since this car is "the ultimate one" for me.

So basically, I will focus only on this project and of course keep my drivers in good shape. Due to the fact it will end up more or less a daily driver for as long as we can keep driving our beloved oldtimers, the plan is slightly changed.

Yes I have the matching numbers gearbox, frontaxle and engine, but these will not end up in the car (but will keep them aside)

So will upgrade to
- dual wishbones in the front with ventilated CSP discbrakes
- IRS and matching gearbox and CSP discbrakes in the back
- type4 2.0 with upright conversion
- convertible louvred engine lid
- flat4 BRM's

The body will only have 1 change and that is the sidetrays in the engine boot since the type4 will take some more room then a 25HP and the chassis will receive IRS brackets.
But if I get the urge to go back stock all the rest is just bolted on stuff.

The mockup is ready for testfitting the body, just to make sure no changes are to be made lateron when body is painted. If all fits then all items will be disassembled, where needed sandblasted and painted.

olo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Zwitter (standard) with ragtop sunroof, project by coincidence Reply with quote

I like it and probably you will never go back to stock 😆
sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Zwitter (standard) with ragtop sunroof, project by coincidence Reply with quote

A change of direction. But I'm still just as interested to see how it turns out Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: