Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The EV Wheel Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

greenlaker wrote:
marshy11 wrote:

How does that 215 width look from the front and rear?

Some pix. Note that it's hard to photograph them to get the right perspective, at least with an iPhone:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
(apologies for the smoke-filled skies - from the Camp fire, some 150 miles away)

215s don't look especially "meaty" on OE wheels, but they have almost the same overall height as the 235/60s that I was previously running (just .1" off). Speedo is accurate, confirmed by GPS and various "YOUR SPEED IS" radar signs.

They are most definitely louder than the all season tires I've run on three EVs over the last 10+ years, but not totally obnoxious. I notice it most at ≈40 MPH, before wind and engine noise starts drowning them out. They don't drone on the highway, and the ride quality is better than the tires I just took off (Kumhos w/a stout 104 load rating). Coupled with the new Fox suspension, the van is much more "planted" feeling and comfortable.

I'm planning on taking it to Colorado over the holidays, so hopefully I'll be able to experience a bit of snow driving with them.

215/65/16 , eh? Kind of wish I went with that size or 235/60/16 instead of 225/70/16 for the '03 EVC.

Can't fit a 225/70/16 into the spare tire carrier, too tall, so if I have to put the spare 225/60/16 on it's quite a mismatch.

I got all excited about getting an extra inch of ground clearance, didn't think about mounting a matching spare.
'03 EVC Winnie, 2018, Sold
NLGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

I'm brand new to the EV world but have read this thread, among others.

I've just purchased a 1994 from out of my province and shipping it in. The current owner has 15" wheels with 205/65/15 tires. It's looks quite small on the vehicle, and I camp a long and would prefer something that more traction than this tire offers.

Do I have to adjust anything in order to run a 215/65/16" wheel or will it bolt right on? From what I have read, i believe this originally had a 16" wheel on it.

If the fitment is corrent, my plan owuld be to buy 5 of the 16" Tiguan steel wheels with 215/65/16 BFG K02 tires on (as pictured above) and place one in the spare wheel well. I'd appreciate any and all advice, thanks.

Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

look at the picture of my van at the top of page 2 of this thread. I've got 215/65/16 tires on the same 16" audi wheels shown in your pictures.
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93

Last edited by Joshwa on Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NLGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

Thanks Joshwa,

My concern/looking for advice is should I move up to the 16" option or stay at this 15" size?

I would prefer to move up to 16" with a beefier tire as mentioned, but I won't have the van here for a while and I can't confirm any test fitments. You have the 16" added to yours with 205/65/16. Originally I looked at 215/65/16.

If i go 16", am I better off at 215/65/16 or 205/65/16?
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

My mistake on the last post. I AM using 215/65/r16. I edited my previous post. Are those pictures of your new van? If the are, it already has 16” wheels.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NLGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

Thanks for clarifying Joshwas, that is a help. At the moment, we both appear to be running the same older Audi A4 wheels, the owners told me they're 15" which didn't add up to me. So he sent me these two pics to confirm, so the van is indeed running 15" wheels/tires.

My plan is to install the 16" VW Tiguan steel wheel with 215/65/16 BF Goodridge KO2 tires. I'm a big VW person, but my first van so I was worried I would need to lift/level the van in order to move up from the installed 15" wheels to 215/65/16. But from what I read and understand, they're just bolt on and go without any issues.

Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

Yes, I’ve got 16” wheels on 215/65/16 tires and have no lift. The wheels just bolt on. I don’t have any troubles with rough roads sans lift. I think you really have to be getting into ruts and roots to justify a lift. Otherwise, it’s really just for looks.
NLGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

Really appreciate this help Joshwa, I won't deny that I want the steel wheel/KO2 tire setup for looks. I just love that appearance of it. However my wife and I are big campers, I do a ton of mountain biking and we paddle board so this van will be going over some gravel/rocks/slippery surfaces but nothing that would require ground clearance adjustments.

Thanks again - last question. Do you know if the 215/65/16 like you have will fit into the spare wheel well? I want to order 5 wheels and tires so we have a matching spare.

Dan
E_Swift
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

VW Phaeton 18x8.5 wheels work and look great
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

NLGhia wrote:

Thanks again - last question. Do you know if the 215/65/16 like you have will fit into the spare wheel well? I want to order 5 wheels and tires so we have a matching spare.

Dan

I don’t currently have a spare. You’ll have to search, but I recall seeing a thread discussing using a bit of chain to make it work. I would think that you will at least need to find a later model spare tire securing plate as well.
postjosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

NLGhia wrote:
I want to order 5 wheels and tires so we have a matching spare.

you may have thought of this already but when i went from 15s to 16s, i just used my best 15 as the spare. i fortunately haven't needed to use the spare but i don't think having one smaller wheel would be a big deal until i have the 16 fixed. after all, many cars now come with smaller spares.
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

NLGhia wrote:
Do you know if the 215/65/16 like you have will fit into the spare wheel well?

Here's a link to a guy I know that put up some info on mounting a 16" spare to an earlier model van.

https://1705.net/16-inch-spare/
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

Stripped66 wrote:
16x6.5" et42 steel wheels that TireRack sells for the Audi A4, 225/65r16 tires.

A recent wheel swap on our Audi left me with a spare set of Audi alloy wheels. These had quite a bit of curb damage, so I knocked down the ridges with a file, wire-brushed and cleaned all of the knicks and gouges, and then filled the damaged areas with JB Weld:

After sanding down the JB Weld repairs, primer and block-sanding, I used VHT wheel paint (Ford Silver) to coat the wheels. After 2 light coats and a decent final coat, each wheel sat for about an hour in the sun before I baked it in the oven at 175F for 30 minutes (the wife and kids are in Oregon... Laughing ). I figured the dry heat of the oven would help the paint cure faster since the humidity here is a bit higher than the "directions" on the can calls for.

Looks decent from 20 feet and/or in low light Very Happy
BTW, I don't recommend the VHT wheel paint unless you can spray the wheels upright (i.e. the tires are still on the wheels and/or the wheels are on the vehicle). The VHT paint does not deliver a consistent spray unless held upright...this made for some frustration when spraying my wheels in the horizontal position. Rolling Eyes

While putting the A/C and dash back together today, I found time to run the wheels and tires (Nokian Entyre 2.0, 225/65r16) over to the local shop to have them mounted and balanced:

70mm VW center caps from Amazon.com are on the way to finish off the wheels.

I don't think electrickery works that way
lucksp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

was thinking to purchase these 16" rims in black: https://www.poptopheaven.com/shop.asp#!/Full-Camper-And-Weekender-Wheels/p/66217338/category=0

I was told by a known and recommended vendor to avoid 7.5" wide rims, and stick with 7". Any reason why this would be?
peter66larson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

Probably is because the wheel space is designed for only 7", and if is bigger either you adapt the whole suspension or could potentially damage your car.

By the way, which color are thinking to take? The dark grey looks pretty cool Smile

You're gonna meet some gentle people there ...

- Scott McKenzie -
lucksp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

Ideally black rims...

Would these Passat type rims be an ok option? https://ebay.to/3hLIb4z
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

Those are really nice, but the price plus shipping is really a bit much. I would look on your local Craigslist for 16" VAG rims with a 5x112 PCD. I've purchased two separate sets of wheels and tires (plenty of tread) from Dieselgate VWs that were taken off of the road. They were listed on CL for less than $300/set.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
lucksp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

yeah, agree on price too much, but just trying to understand some specs.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

What you want to look for are '06 and newer VW passenger cars and nearly all Audis. These cars typically have the right PCD and offset for the T4. The SUV models are a possibility, but I'm not as sure about them. Also, those rims sold by poptop heaven and other vendors are more than likely Chinese copies of a Mercedes rim, and are notorious for cracking. Genuine VAG rims will be much much stronger. You can also find those rims on CL from actual Mercedes models, but I can't verify if the offset is correct for the T4. They do have a 5x112 PCD. I have 16" Mercedes rims on my T3.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
lucksp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

Thank you! This is great info.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: