Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Multiple fuel filters
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom1939
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Multiple fuel filters Reply with quote

Would two fuel filters change fuel flow pressure much as compared to one filter? My guess is not, but what do I know?

Tom
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Multiple fuel filters Reply with quote

Tom1939 wrote:
Would two fuel filters change fuel flow pressure much as compared to one filter? My guess is not, but what do I know?

Tom

It would if their clogged!
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Multiple fuel filters Reply with quote

OK I will bite....why would anyone need 2 fuel filters?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom1939
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Multiple fuel filters Reply with quote

I am going to connect a 5.5mm line to a 7mm line with a fuel filter. If that works, I'll eventually remove the engine bay filter. It's part of the many things I'm trying to diagnose a leak cause.
celblazer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Multiple fuel filters Reply with quote

When I bought mine it had 4 fuel filters. LOL It looked like none of the PO bothered to look for a filter so just kept adding them.

1 at the tank, 1 as the line came out of the tunnel, 1 in the rear fender well and 1 at the carb.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Multiple fuel filters Reply with quote

celblazer wrote:
When I bought mine it had 4 fuel filters. LOL It looked like none of the PO bothered to look for a filter so just kept adding them.

1 at the tank, 1 as the line came out of the tunnel, 1 in the rear fender well and 1 at the carb.

WTF Talk about over kill!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Multiple fuel filters Reply with quote

I currently run two filters:one under the tank, the other, beside the transmission. I figure if anything comes loose inside the tunnel-metal line, I have a safety net with another filter after that line.

It's probably overkill, but the filters are cheap enough.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Multiple fuel filters Reply with quote

Tom1939 wrote:

I didn't have any problem doing that on a 1,000 mile trip home with a new car years ago so I would say No.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Multiple fuel filters Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
OK I will bite....why would anyone need 2 fuel filters?

I've used 2 in-line filters a few times when the tank was full of junk, until I could clean it out.

I bet there are a lot of people out with 2 or 3 "filters" already.

I have 3 on my Squareback right now:
1. Stock In-tank filter screen
2. In-line Filter under tank up front
3. Stock filter inside the pump in the engine compartment.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Multiple fuel filters Reply with quote

I use 3 on mine, one at the frame horn when the line comes out of it, and one before each carb after the fuel pump so if the pump takes a squat it dosent fill the carbs full. Ive never had any fuel issues.....well Im not fond of the prices. but....well yes thats a problem ...but ..thats in every car that uses it.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Multiple fuel filters Reply with quote

No issues - on the dusty crusty barn finds I work on occasionally, I'll put one under the tank, one above the axle and one just before the carb (yeah, I know...this one is temporary). Once I am comfortable that the lines and fuel pump are clean, I remove the one by the carb. Once I feel good about the tank not dumping crud, then I will pull the one underneath it, but sometimes I will leave it there forever if needed.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Multiple fuel filters Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

I have 3 on my Squareback right now:
1. Stock In-tank filter screen
2. In-line Filter under tank up front
3. Stock filter inside the pump in the engine compartment.

Pretty much the same for me on my 62, only with my inline one being by my left heater box.

The tank and fuel pump filters are more fine mesh screens though, than filters. But they keep the big stuff out.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Multiple fuel filters Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Or, just run a original Pierburg fuel pump like this. It also has fuel filter in it as well. Wink

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Multiple fuel filters Reply with quote

It needs to be understood that screens are not filters. The metal fuel tank discharge screen and the plastic in-pump screen are only there to remove large particulate matter not fine material that can buildup in the carburetor over time (without a filter). The fuel filter which is the inline filter just before the fuel pump is where the fine particle filtration takes place.

Adding additional standard filters will not significantly improve filtration to the carburettor - the first filter will catch most of the fine particulate matter. Filters downstream of the first filter won't do very much as most of the particulate matter should have been removed by the first filter.

The only way to improve fuel filtration is to put a much larger finer filter just before the fuel pump. The only issue here is the fuel pump is under a flooded situation all the time so trying to put a larger fuel filter just below the fuel pump is not easy - space restrictions - also there could be issues with reduced flow to the pump.

Having run a 1968 1500 Beetle in severe dust conditions for many years and refueling from fuel stations in the middle of nowhere regularly (and I did get red dust buildup in the float chamber over time) was to change the standard filter regularly. Other than regular fuel filter changes (they are cheap) was to clean the carburetor once a year.

To me the key item to check (for large particulate matter such as tank rust or major dirt particles) is the primary wire mesh screen on the outlet of the fuel tank. This is the item which cannot be checked for blockage without removing it - most people don't know its there. The inline filter just before the fuel pump can be inspected visually for filtered matter and it is most likely that this will restrict flow well before the plastic screen in the fuel pump gets blocked. To me the plastic screen in the pump housing is just there to stop major particulate matter from the fuel pump (rubber etc) from getting to the needle valve and float chamber of the carburettor. Large matter downstream of the fuel pump should not pass by the inline fuel filter and get to the fuel pump.

Adding more standard filters will only increase the chance of fuel leakages and not improve filtration to the carburettor. The first filter will do 90% plus of the filtration duty and will block well before the additional filter get close to being choked with material.
davidw99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Multiple fuel filters Reply with quote

I have the in tank filter, a plastic filter under the tank, a filter in the fuel pump and another (soon to be removed) filter between the fuel pump and carburetor. The fuel filters should not inhibit flow unless they are clogged or nearly clogged.

'73 Saturn Yellow Sports Bug that has undergone a full pan off restoration. "Herbert IV."

'67 Sedan. "Bellamy." Currently being "refreshed" and recently repainted.
Ricache
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Multiple fuel filters Reply with quote

Filter by tank with shutoff valve for r&r, filter on rail by tranny. Access through firewall uses larger od fuel hose and rtv to keep it in place and protect against chaffing

Used to plug in a plastic one in the engine compartment but no more.

Just the one with my bus. Directly under the tank with shutoff valve. Brass or vinyl valve. Hth

Stock pushrod pump

Change all 3 filter's every 6 months. Works great.

No matter what carry a fire extinguisher in your acvw
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Multiple fuel filters Reply with quote

I've got two filers
1) before the carter fuel pump under tank
2) as fuel line exits the tunnel.
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Multiple fuel filters Reply with quote

I only have one filter, at the outlet of the tank. It is 3X the size of my pump.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Multiple fuel filters Reply with quote

Hi. I learned decades ago about the importance of a good fuel filter. This experience was gained during the oil embargo where gas stations were pumping shit from their tanks.
Those $2 mini filters are a basic preventative measure. Not every vintage car has the ability to have a very clean fuel system. I've laid under a bus changing/by-passing a $2 mini gas filter when plugged up.
So, I upgraded to the use of the Bosch diesel fuel filter used as a gas filter. I have had zero issues and may replace it every 5 years, on daily drivers.

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-74010-Fuel-Filter-Diesel/dp/B000CEZS3I

It simply works.
Bill
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: